From windows XP to windows 7

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Magsor, Feb 13, 2011.

Feb 13, 2011

From windows XP to windows 7 by Magsor at 1:42 PM (587 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Magsor
    OP

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    I am a windows XP fan.

I had no reasons to make the switch but now I got myself a dual core processor and a new hard drive. So it was very normal for me to switch. Now everything is setup pretty much the way XP was and the speed difference is noticeable.

Anything else I need to know about seven vs. XP?

(No is a great answer too)

2. EJames2100

Member EJames2100 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Gadgets are pretty cool..

Much better driver tools also, have to manually find most with xp but 7 seems to have most installed anyways(Especially network drivers), so never a problem re-installing.

You can also dual-boot both windows 7 and xp, so say you can't run a game because of needing more ram on a 7 system, you can switch to xp and play it fine.

Other than that, just poke around and you'll find some pretty nifty stuff.

3. nutella

Member nutella Low Glycemic Index

Australia
    Put it this way; You're using an OS that's a decade old. Personally, I don't see a reason not to switch to 7, but some people just have bad experiences with it.

4. Dter ic

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    most drivers should be pre-installed by windows 7 itself, but thing like the GPU and wifi drivers can b e obtained by the OEM website or the brand that makes them

you should have a computer with at least 1GB of ram, duo core processor and a fairly new GPU (2007 and later)

there are a few nice things in windows 7 like aero shake, aero peek, flip 3D, live thumbnails and a new folders thing called libraries

5. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Everything in XP's "Documents and Settings" folder (like application data, the start menus, etc) has moved to new locations in 7; attempting to access the old locations directly through Windows Explorer will throw an error. This drove me nuts when I first switched. It'll only affect you if you used to go digging around in there, there's a full list of the new locations here: http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Security/junctions.aspx .

6. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    I have a fairly older computer, Pentium4 @3.4GHz single core with Hyper Threading ("simulates" two cores), 2 GB RAM and now a GeForce 9800GT (Before I was using a Radeon x1600XT) and Windows 7 feels more responsive than Windows XP.
    I've been using Windows 7 exclusively since the Beta, and haven't run into any significant problems (during the Beta it wouldn't let you finish the install of Diablo II and I'm sure some other older things like that, but that had been fixed).

One thing I didn't like at first was the single-icon, no text look of the new Taskbar. But after getting use to it, I can't go back.. it's just so much easier and cleaner especially when coupled with Aero Preview.

If you're like me, you like having control over what app opens a file in a certain way (Open / Edit / View). For example, I like to View/Open images with Windows Photo Viewer, but Edit them with an editing program like Photoshop or Pain.net (or Gimp), to the best of my knowledge it is impossible to do this through Windows 7 since the built in utility to do this was simplified.
    There is a app that will give you full control over files called Types http://izt.name/apps/types/
    I'm sure there are other apps people could suggest to enhance Windows 7, but that's a huge one for me.