From Cakes to Luma

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Lord_A, May 26, 2016.

1. Lord_A
    OP

Lord_A Member

Newcomer
    May 26, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Greetings !

I am currently using an N3DS sysnand 9.2 + eumnand 11 with cakes fw 138, nnid unlinked, fbi injected into healthapp - and yes i am not using a9lh.
    Since i am also into gba games, and from what i understand playing them is easiest with luma, i wanted to know how/is it possible to change the cfw, possibly also utilizing a9lh, without losing any data, like installed games, saves, dlcs... etc.
    Also is it worth the, i assume pretty lengthy process, even if everything else works just fine?

2. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
  3. Lord_A
    OP

Lord_A Member

Newcomer
    May 26, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Thanks for the answer , however this would only mean using luma, right? What about a9lh?

4. Temarile

Temarile (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)

Jan 7, 2016
    Netherlands
  5. Kyojin

Kyojin #include "brain.h"

Sep 7, 2015
    France
    Well, if you want A9LH, Plailect's guide is definitely something to check (and in your case, you only have to do parts 4 and 5).

You shouldn't lose any data in the process, since it will be using your EmuNAND as a base that you'll later restore.

Is it worth your time and the thrill of going through some risky steps? I'd say yes, but that's only my opinion. What you'll most likely benefit from is ditching the EmuNAND, saving on SD card space and boot time, as well ah having a more permanent hack.

EDIT: Ninja'd. But, @Temarile, shouldn't he be starting from Part 4 instead of 3? Since he already has an (up-to-date) EmuNAND.

Last edited by Kyojin, May 26, 2016
  6. Venat

Venat GBAtemp Regular

Nov 23, 2015
    Gambia, The
    The Get Started section explains from which part to start.

7. Kyojin

Sep 7, 2015
    France
    Correct.

8. Venat

Venat GBAtemp Regular

Nov 23, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Btw, does someone know how I can change the menuhax setting, currently at that part.

9. Kyojin

Sep 7, 2015
    France
    IIRC, you have to launch menuhax_manager for that.

10. Temarile

Jan 7, 2016
    Netherlands
    Sorry! My bad! I was on my phone and it must've copied the wrong link. You have to start at part 4 as this kind user has said :)

Kyojin likes this.
  11. Lord_A
    OP

Lord_A Member

Newcomer
    May 26, 2016
    Gambia, The
    So from part 4 even though im on cakes right now? And i can leave everything on the sd card as it was?

Last edited by Lord_A, May 26, 2016
  12. Kyojin

Sep 7, 2015
    France
    I think that Cakes would not be a problem for this, but you can "install" Luma (it's just a matter of copying files to the SD card so, why not?) if you want to stick to the guide.

Don't forget to put the firmware.bin file linked in the Luma wiki page to the /luma folder, or the downgrade will fail.

13. Lord_A
    OP

Lord_A Member

Newcomer
    May 26, 2016
    Gambia, The
    OK. Staying however on cakes for the process is fine as well, right?
    If id do the a9hl and then change to luma it should work as well?

14. Kyojin

Sep 7, 2015
    France
    - Yes. Make sure that you have firmware.bin in the /cakes folder.
    - Yes, using Luma3DS at the end of the A9LH setup won't be a problem at all!

15. Lord_A
    OP

Lord_A Member

Newcomer
    May 26, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Just dumping the sysnand through otphelper. Thanks for the quick reply!

Kyojin likes this.
  16. Lord_A
    OP

Lord_A Member

Newcomer
    May 26, 2016
    Gambia, The
    So, everything is done and working great as far as i can tell, nothing lost, gba games and everything else runs as well. However it seems that everything runs and loads faster, maybe because of lumas n3ds boost? Ingame however i dont see an actual improvement in speed. Is this fine as it is or does it drain the battery more than usual?
    Cheers and thanks for the help so far - it took me only 4,5h ;-)

17. Temarile

Jan 7, 2016
    Netherlands
    Luma3DS can over clock your device so it's a little bit faster and a little bit smoother (n3ds can do this better than o3ds). Personally I have not experienced any increased battery drain :)