zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So my friend's Xbox 360 got a RROD for the second time in it's lifespan. The first time it RROD he had a warranty and he got it fixed by microsoft; this was ages ago. It died on him a second time yesterday and hes run out of his warranty so his getting a New Slim 360 250GB next week.
Problem is, he will then end up with a dead 360. So i asked him and he said that he would probably give it to me.
yay.gif

But the thing is, its RROD and it has no warranty. Its a Pro model, he said he got it at launch 5 years ago. So if i get it, what the hell do i do to fix it up?

And hell yea, I've always wanted a Xbox 360
biggrin.gif

jonesman99

GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
go on youtube. type in how to fix xbox 360 red ring of death, and learn how to fix it yourself. its cheaper to do it your self, and in case it happens again down the line you will know how to repair it.

Thats what im doing with mine.

zeromac

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jonesman99 said:
go on youtube. type in how to fix xbox 360 red ring of death, and learn how to fix it yourself. its cheaper to do it your self, and in case it happens again down the line you will know how to repair it.

Thats what im doing with mine.
Only thing i can find is some stupid trick that overheats the 360, melting the solder and most likely damaging the insides. Seems like a short term fix anyways.

KirovAir

Alcoholic Programmer
Trophies
Website
www.jessesander.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
It takes some searching through all the spam/advertisements for rrod fixes, but there are some good guides on the internet. Just buy yourself an X-clamp fix, some thermal paste and you should get it fixed.

nico445

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
i have the x-clamp fix on it and it had new thermal paste but it died today
frown.gif
also a launch xbox (or near it)
damn now i gotta save up for somebody to reball it
frown.gif

zeromac

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
nico445 said:
i have the x-clamp fix on it and it had new thermal paste but it died today
frown.gif
also a launch xbox (or near it)
damn now i gotta save up for somebody to reball it
frown.gif
Hmm I'll see, i don't really trust myself with opening up a 360 lol

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reball and Reflow is the only real way to "fix" them. Towel trick can ultimately destroy a 360. Penny and X- clamps just bends the board allowing it to work for a while. The oven trick is also a good way to fix them, but its risky.
X-clamp fix can last for around 6 month on occasions.

Also if he hasn't checked his warranty and just assume it expired try registering it again. I have heard that some people xbox got unregistered and had their warranty reset to a longer one once they re-register. This was said to be because of the new xbox website update.

I'd go with x-clamp fix if you can't get them reballed/reflowed, but first find your secondary error code to see the reason why it is broken.

zeromac

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
wtfisausername said:
Reball and Reflow is the only real way to "fix" them. Towel trick can ultimately destroy a 360. Penny and X- clamps just bends the board allowing it to work for a while. The oven trick is also a good way to fix them, but its risky.

Also if he hasn't checked his warranty and just assume it expired try registering it again. I have heard that some people xbox got unregistered and had their warranty reset to a longer one once they re-register. This was said to be because of the new xbox website update.

I'd go with x-clamp fix if you can't get them reballed/reflowed, but first find your secondary error code to see the reason why it is broken.

I have no idea what your talking about. My friend has had his 360 since launch so I'm pretty sure the warranty is out

nico445

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
wtfisausername said:

how permanent is a reball? if it only survives a few months i rather ditch this xbox and try scoring a falcon or jasper:P

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A reball is the best way to go. It should last a lot longer if they use standard solder instead of the lead free stuff M$ uses. With a proper reball it will literally be better than new.

nico445

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
hundshamer said:
A reball is the best way to go. It should last a lot longer if they use standard solder instead of the lead free stuff M$ uses. With a proper reball it will literally be better than new.
good to hear
tongue.gif
thanks, i hope after the reball it will last for a good while it ran a average 60-70 celcius on cpu and gpu is that too hot or acceptable?

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you use Arctic Silver 5, and since it's a J-tag you can use the auto fanspeed patcher to keep those temps down. It's a little warm in my opinion, but I suppose that is acceptable, if just barely.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
imo thats too hot
you might looking into stuff like the whisper max fans to move more air through + the shroud mod

edit: I see you already have the whisper fans
tongue.gif
, maybe just run them at 12v all the time

if you cant keep the temps down its just go back to the way it was again

nico445

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Joe88 said:
imo thats too hot
you might looking into stuff like the whisper max fans to move more air through + the shroud mod

edit: I see you already have the whisper fans
tongue.gif
, maybe just run them at 12v all the time

if you cant keep the temps down its just go back to the way it was again
i could run them at full power but then it would sound like a vacuum machine even with the whisperfans
tongue.gif
dunno what the exact temps were but
it was around that. the place i will ship it to (after i get some money xd) will add some kind of cooling mod, still got to ask what they will exactly do to the xbox..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: @SylverReZ must be lurking :)