Freeware password manager?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,273
  • Replies 6
D

Deleted User

OP
So, for the longest time, I've been meaning to get a password manager, but there's all sorts of ones that are paid, some freeware, and I'm just not sure what to use. Something easy, I can just put in my username, email, password, and just have a nice little database.

Is there anything like that, which someone can suggest?

Thanks in advanced!

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I use the free version of LastPass myself (both as a browser addon and as an app on my phone). It works great, haven't had any problems with it so far. Some of the features that are accessible to free users are, among other things, randomly generated passwords of lenghts to up to 100 characters, a "security challenge" that basically tells you how good your passwords are overall (i.e. weak passwords, old passwords, duplicates, etc. are taken into account), and it lets you change passwords on some sites directly from the app/browser addon. I haven't really tried any other password managers though, so I am biased on this.

Edit: It is online though, not sure if offline mode is supported

Last edited by Snomannen_kalle,
Reactions: Ev1lbl0w

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've been suggested keepass too, but never tried it yet.
lot of features, sync pass on multiple devices. I've read a little, it has algorythm to prevent key loggers to snif your pass when using text area auto-completion.
There are few unofficial version too, with auto-sync, but I wonder how safe they are.
I never used it, I wonder how hard it is to start using this tool. keepass1 or 2? password, key file stored on external device, or both..?

Last edited by Cyan,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Password managers are an odd one for me. Almost a solution looking for a problem, and having a massive problem of their own -- all your eggs in one basket in the way most people use them, and the people that make them intend you to use them. That is not just keys to the kingdom but keys and a removal crew to help you pack. Even without that it is almost false security, especially the way I see them sold.
I certainly don't consider them an essential part of security and would not look down upon someone not having one, not in the slightest. As far as I am concerned the best security feature is that by default you will probably have long random passwords, and can set alarms to force changes, the former of which is solved by https://xkcd.com/936/ and the latter by everything from a diary on upwards.

It also depends on your use scenarios* and what efforts you want to take, possibly also how good you are with computers (and if you are geeky enough to have that joke in your signature then it is a fairly decent bet that you don't lack capabilities). Depending upon how you are playing that then it changes a lot.

*floating between 10 different PCs is different to just one PC to just one PC and a phone/tablet is different to needing to share login credentials for your business/group twitter account (last I checked Twitter had not managed that, facebook had though, in any case for a basic business account you use as an advertising feed then there are all in one solutions for all social meejas which do far better)). If it is just one PC then browsers offer to memorise passwords for you, you should be wary of http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/index.html#password_utils but that is easy enough to solve as well with other security.

You could do the old staple of locked down Linux laptop for your banking or anything of that magnitude. Whatever else you like for boring or old forums, social media timewasting and all that jazz. Similarly password wise there was the "important things get their own password, possibly also email account, everything else gets same junk email and password, or do it in tiers of less and less useful stuff".

With that said keepass is where I would point people if they wanted an offline database. Know what you are doing (data that does not exist in more than one location does not exist, there is no way to store a plain password with the encrypted data securely) and it can be made to do good things.

Reactions: Joom

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Small pocket sized notebook (the paper kind, not the computer) and a pen/pencil. Just write that shit down and keep it somewhere safe. Best of all, if your computer crashes, you still have your hard copy to fall back on.

Reactions: Joom

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQO7neBmy0&pp=ygUXU2hvd2VyIHNjZW5lIEhhbGYgYmFrZWQ%3D