Freeroam SRPG?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by blainy, May 19, 2009.

May 19, 2009

Freeroam SRPG? by blainy at 12:09 PM (1,131 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. blainy
    OP

Member blainy GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    ok, so i am looking for a SRPG that has a free roaming gameworld that i am free to explore at my leisure. kinda like being inside the castle in Disgaea, but a proper world, not just one room..i kinda liked the style of FFTA2, but i dont like that i cant walk round inside the taverns, shops, talking to random NPCs n stuff. i guess i dont mind if i dont have a 100% explorable world, but i want more than just chess-like battles strung together with dialogue

2. sadak5

Member sadak5 GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    I don't think there is an SRPG of that style, becuause the SRPG are centered in the Battles, meanwhile traditional RPG are the ones about talking etc...

3. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
  4. blainy
    OP

Australia

yeah, that was me.. thanks for the shingforce recs, will be sure to look them up.....do the genesis games play ok on jenesisds?

5. geminisama

Member geminisama Metsu

United States
    They play great. Shining Force 2.

6. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    Yes, JenesisDS plays SF 1 and 2 great! Or you could try the GBA remake of SF1 as well which I loved.

7. blainy
    OP

Australia
    thanks guys, im glad i actually got soem feedback here, ratrher than being flamed for asking about something so obscure.....as i am unable to get my hands on GBA carts, and dont have an EZ3in1 as yet, i will be sure to try the oldschool sega roms [​IMG]

8. Ruri

Member Ruri GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Shining Force was my first thought, too.

The original PSX Rhapsody (but not its DS remake, sadly) had tactical battles but more traditional RPG-style free-roaming outside of them.

Many computer games use this formula to an extent. The old SSI gold box games, say, although those might be a bit dated. If you haven't played Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager you could try that, too. Most Ultima titles, too, aside from Ultima 9.

Oh, Bahamut Lagoon for the SNES might also suit your tastes.

I also strongly recommend Just Breed for the NES (google for a translation patch.) It's very good and humorous, as well as quite long. I think you should be able to emulate it on the DS...