ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Do you want it just for taking pictures? If so, then the Eyetoy drivers comes with a video recording program, and no installation needed too. Although it's main purpose is to record videos through the webcam, you can just press the print screen button on your keyboard during preview and crop it down in a photo/picture editor or something. I don't have the link on me, but just search Eyetoy Mini Silver Drivers on google.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you did use it (it came with your computer?) then surely you have a license to use it as part of that?

Most webcam drivers and their associated software will afford the option to take videos and/or pictures or if you want to up your game it should be able to be used with any half decent capture software-

For video
http://www.virtualdub.org/ is top flight capture freeware, it has lost some ground in recent years as far as video editing goes but for capture it is rock solid.

File pulldown-> capture AVI (down the bottom somewhere), select your device from the device dropdown menu (not sure what your drivers will afford here but you can probably use VFW or your device itself) and you should be able to see whatever it is pointing at, file dropdown-> set capture file.
You have a whole slew of other options (splitting, capture time and more) to play with as you deem necessary.
You can start the capture with f5, f6 or with the relevant button on the capture pulldown menu.

For pictures:
Windows image acquisition- file, "from scanner or camera" in MS paint* or file, create, scanner/camera in GIMP.

*I am first in line to call paint on the shortcomings but save it as a BMP and use a real editing program afterwards.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
ifish said:
Rydian said:
You used it for what, exactly?
Pictures...

Guys. if you are not going to give a helpful response. don't post
If the only thing a webcam could be used for was pictures, then I could understand that response...

However you can record video to your computer, stream video on the internet, and many webcams also include a mic. There's sub-topics within those as well, such as setting up a camera to only start recording when motion is detected (such as for use as a security camera), or setting up automated timed shots (such as for making a stop-motion film). Each of these would use different programs.

I asked because there actually is more than one thing.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
FAST6191 said:
If you did use it (it came with your computer?) then surely you have a license to use it as part of that?

Most webcam drivers and their associated software will afford the option to take videos and/or pictures or if you want to up your game it should be able to be used with any half decent capture software-

For video
http://www.virtualdub.org/ is top flight capture freeware, it has lost some ground in recent years as far as video editing goes but for capture it is rock solid.

File pulldown-> capture AVI (down the bottom somewhere), select your device from the device dropdown menu (not sure what your drivers will afford here but you can probably use VFW or your device itself) and you should be able to see whatever it is pointing at, file dropdown-> set capture file.
You have a whole slew of other options (splitting, capture time and more) to play with as you deem necessary.
You can start the capture with f5, f6 or with the relevant button on the capture pulldown menu.

For pictures:
Windows image acquisition- file, "from scanner or camera" in MS paint* or file, create, scanner/camera in GIMP.

*I am first in line to call paint on the shortcomings but save it as a BMP and use a real editing program afterwards.
Fast, how would i get that license?

it was called Youcam.

And not sure about anything you just said. sorry.

And it's just for pictures. no recording

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If it came with your PC chances are it was an OEM license- if it was something like a sony or dell machine (one of the big box vendors) then you can probably download it from their website (probably have to enter a serial number).

The thing about licenses though is that they are something of an abstract/legal concept rather than a physical item and as such can not be lost by simply formatting your machine (especially an OEM machine license)- there is probably some serious legal wiggle room but generally speaking it is not piracy if you are licensed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.