Free MCBoot not launching please help!

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Simba, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Simba
    OP

Simba Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2014
    I bought a memory card off Ebay last month with free MCBoot installed on it. I however do not know how to launch it. I know it is there I have checked.

2. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    You have to put the memory in the first slot and turn on the Ps2. Does this not work?

3. Gaming4Ever

Gaming4Ever Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2014
    United States
    Do u get the Same Boot up Menu or do u the FMCB Splash screen???

If u added Apps they should appear in the Menu like before but with OPLoader,Emulators or Apps like those......

4. Simba
    OP

Simba Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2014
    Yes I did this it didn't work.

Just the same boot up menu

5. elmoemo

elmoemo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 4, 2012
    Maybe they sold u a dud card? Pretending its done when its not

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.
  6. Simba
    OP

Simba Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2014
    Well it has the files in it...

7. TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth :P
    Perhaps something just became corrupted. If you have a friend with a swap magic and!or modchip, I recommend asking said friend to reinstall FMCB for you.

Unfortunately ebay won't be much help here, as you purchased a blacklisted/banned item ><

8. Simba
    OP

Simba Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2014
    And why would this be? The whole point of FMCB is to launch home brewed applications through your PS2 it doesn't promote any illegal copying of discs or anything like that

9. Simba
    OP

Simba Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2014
    Could you explain how I could do that with a modchip because I know somebody who has one but not swap magic

10. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    Visit this page and check Installation > CD burn guide. It looks harder than it actually is.

http://sksapps.com/index.php?page=fmcb.html

11. dekuleon

dekuleon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    dekuleon is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 1, 2010
    Brazil
    where the wind makes the curve
    Check if your ps2 is compatible. Those slim models with internal power supply (9000x) are not compatible.

12. gypsynimrod

gypsynimrod Banned

Banned
    Sep 2, 2014
    Fiji
    If you send me a memory card, I'll install FMCB on it for the cost of shipping.

13. TeamScriptKiddies

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Just follow the above instructions to burn the disc, have your friend pop the disc in his ps2 (make sure your memory card is plugged into slot 1) and it should boot up automatically.

Then he just needs to follow the onscreen instructions to install it for you.

Also as for console compatibility, I'm 99.9% if works on all ps2 models/versions. Not sure why somebody above mentioned compatibility issues with certain models. Perhaps he knows something I don't??? I've never heard of compatibility issues for fmcb compatibility issues....

14. TeamScriptKiddies

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Unfortunately, ebay banned all modchips, swap discs, holmebrew enabling devices etc etc etc, many years ago. For a while modchips (at least molst of them) were unlawful to own or sell here in the States. Ebay being a US based company, got sued by Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft for not doing anything about sellers listing these types of items. As a result, they lost a ton of money in this massive lawsuit, so they banned all those types of items altogether. Even though all those things are completely legal now under what's been dubbed the "jailbreaking" exemption to the DMCA, ebay hasn't lifted the ban on these.

So if you were to file a claim with ebay in regards to this, you will likely get the seller banned and end up with at least an account suspension yourself for violating their TOS

15. Dust2dust

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    Just an additional note regarding Free MCBoot, the version offered on sksapps is outdated. There exists a new version released less than a year ago, v1.93. It's worth hunting it down. Instructions on sksapps for installation is still good, though.

16. Dust2dust

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    Although I never experienced it myself, it seems there really are some PS2 models out there incompatible with FMCB. Quote from wikipedia (homebrew for PS2 entry):

As of May 2008, there is a superior exploit called Free McBoot, which is applicable to all PS2s including Slimlines except for SCPH-9000x models with BIOS 2.30 and up, where the exploit was patched by Sony. Manufacturing of such homebrew-proof models started in the third quarter of 2008, which is denoted as date code 8C on the console, although some consoles of this line still have the old unpatched 2.20 BIOS.

17. Zaide

Zaide GBAtemp Regular

Apr 2, 2009
    United States
    It's possible the guy who sold it to you didn't know what he was doing and did an install for a specific model when he should have done a universal install. If that's the case then it will only work on the same model PS2 that he installed it on.

18. TeamScriptKiddies

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Its true what they say "you learn something new everyday" lol. Assuming that's accurate, but it IS a wiki so who knows. If one does own a model that fmcb doesn't work on, you should theoretically still be able tol launch homebrew, imports and backups using a trusty swap magic in conjunction with a stealth swapping method. A bit barbaric, but it works XD. The only other option would be to install a modchip which is very difficult on the ps2. Not only are the solder point SMT (super tiny) but most of the decent chips require about 22 wires (give or take a few) to said points. If you're not a super experienced solderer, I don't recommend anybody attempt such an install