Gaming Free Games thread

• Thread starter ThoD
  • Start date
  • Views 315,982
  • Replies 2,492
  • Likes 17

Want me to post about just free games or about giveaway contests too?

• Total voters
D

Deleted User

but there is a catch--they are free for two months only and time-bombed.
did they update them to need a drm? because hl2 and hl1-source should be drm fre eif you just add an extra command line argument to a shortcut
so technically it's free to keep if you know what you're doing

edit:to elaborate, i'm not talking about torrents, i'm talking about them being drm free on steam. it's how i get these games on my older systems running XP, which doesn't support steam
there;s quite a list of drm free games on steam https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Big_List_of_DRM-Free_Games_on_Steam

Last edited by ,

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
did they update them to need a drm? because hl2 and hl1-source should be drm fre eif you just add an extra command line argument to a shortcut

edit:to elaborate, i'm not talking about torrents, i'm talking about them being drm free on steam. it's how i get these games on my older systems running XP, which doesn't support steam
there;s quite a list of drm free games on steam https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Big_List_of_DRM-Free_Games_on_Steam
They are DRM free still, don't worry about it, LOTS of games are actually if you are looking at older games, all you need to do is change the shortcut from a link to Steam's ID to instead point to the actual .exe file and they work fine!

Reactions: Mythical

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

They are DRM free still, don't worry about it, LOTS of games are actually if you are looking at older games, all you need to do is change the shortcut from a link to Steam's ID to instead point to the actual .exe file and they work fine!
I've been trying to do this with opposing force, half life source, team fortress classic, an blue shift, but they seem to be routed through the original 1st and second game. Any chance you could explain how to do it a bit more? There seems to be no .exes for those games in those locations (opening local files for these games opens half life 1 and 2)

ThoD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I've been trying to do this with opposing force, half life source, team fortress classic, an blue shift, but they seem to be routed through the original 1st and second game. Any chance you could explain how to do it a bit more? There seems to be no .exes for those games in those locations (opening local files for these games opens half life 1 and 2)
Don't know about the games you've mentioned since I've never tried them, not all of them have .exe in the directories, which is a pain, but a lot others do (mainly non-Valve ones, especially ones from before 2009), if you can't find the executable, then I can't really help you, even I don't know how to do that without a no-DRM patch (just download it from pirating sites and install just that instead of the entire game).

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe we should make a new thread for free games troubleshooters since this thread is supposed to be for posting the free games released only to avoid the confusion. Just saying.

ThoD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Maybe we should make a new thread for free games troubleshooters since this thread is supposed to be for posting the free games released only to avoid the confusion. Just saying.
It's fine, some mild discussion is allowed, no need to be too uptight:P

D

Deleted User

put an argument to launch a mod/dlc

iirc for half life 1 it's
Code:
-game bshift/gearbox/tfc
for blue shift/opposing force/team fortress classic

for half life 2 it's
Code:
-game episodic/ep2
for episode 1 and 2

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just saw my payment history. And dammit I love what I'm seeing
so many legal zeros
1.PNG 3.PNG Capture.PNG

Reactions: tirges

I pwned U!

I am pleased to beat you!
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Two games on the epic store this week:

Carcassonne
Ticket to ride

Great board games, no doubt. Great virtual implementation as well, though I find it to be easier to play on a mobile device.

You might want to check in next week, though (okay, from 13th february onward). Then it'll be Kingdom come Deliverance and Aztez. Kingdom Come is a tough as nails (but extremely realistic) open world RPG. Aztez is a 2D brawler that seems to borrow Madworld's visuals and guacamelee's fighting style (I might be wrong on that...I've never played it).

ThoD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Two games on the epic store this week:

Carcassonne
Ticket to ride

Great board games, no doubt. Great virtual implementation as well, though I find it to be easier to play on a mobile device.

You might want to check in next week, though (okay, from 13th february onward). Then it'll be Kingdom come Deliverance and Aztez. Kingdom Come is a tough as nails (but extremely realistic) open world RPG. Aztez is a 2D brawler that seems to borrow Madworld's visuals and guacamelee's fighting style (I might be wrong on that...I've never played it).
Realistic you say? Gulping down loaves of bread and tons of seemingly rotten cheese only for the character to say they are hungry again isn't very realistic:rofl2:

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Realistic you say? Gulping down loaves of bread and tons of seemingly rotten cheese only for the character to say they are hungry again isn't very realistic:rofl2:
Knights burn threw a lot of calories lol. Those Armor suits are heavy af and they do a lot lol :rofl2:

Reactions: ThoD

Minged

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
its nice of epic that they give free games but its theyre of various genres and tastes so idk if i should start collecting them, looks like great idea but in th end i probably wont play any of them

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its nice of epic that they give free games but its theyre of various genres and tastes so idk if i should start collecting them, looks like great idea but in th end i probably wont play any of them
I try to collect em all, worst case a friend/my SO plays the ones I don't. or I can flex on my game networth
https://steamdb.info/calculator/76561198374306725/?cc=us
I just started pretty recently so I'd say that's a fair amount

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: If you want a good system to port it to, at least have a good programmer and knowledge.