True Demon Route
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
Bulletstorm, The Darkness 2, F.E.A.R series, RAGE, Red Faction Armageddon, Halo if you're desperate. CoD series if you like mindless shooting, same with Battlefield series (although I highly recommend BF1942 and it's expansions, beautiful game).
Bulletstorm sounds awesome as fuck D: I can tell I am gonna play that for a loooooong while.
Darkness sounds great as well, gonna look into it.
F.E.A.R NOPENOPENOPEEEEEEE
RAGE, doesn't interest me much :C
Red Faction, while a TPS, certainly sounds great. Will give it a look once I am done with these FPS' :V
Halo and CoD, lolno :3
Thinking of trying BF3, gonna check the one you recommended as well, thanks!

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Bulletstorm, The Darkness 2, F.E.A.R series, RAGE, Red Faction Armageddon, Halo if you're desperate. CoD series if you like mindless shooting, same with Battlefield series (although I highly recommend BF1942 and it's expansions, beautiful game).
Bulletstorm sounds awesome as fuck D: I can tell I am gonna play that for a loooooong while.
Darkness sounds great as well, gonna look into it.
F.E.A.R NOPENOPENOPEEEEEEE
RAGE, doesn't interest me much :C
Red Faction, while a TPS, certainly sounds great. Will give it a look once I am done with these FPS' :V
Halo and CoD, lolno :3
Thinking of trying BF3, gonna check the one you recommended as well, thanks!
Bulletstorm is one of those mindless shooting games and it has a lot of rather stupid potty-humor in it, but it's pretty ok for what it is.
The Darkness is quite an interesting game, you should definitely pick it up.
Red Faction is pretty good as well, the story is kinda meh but the game plays well
and BF1942, while it is old, it's still a pretty cool shooter. I'm actually thinking about playing it again now...heh.

BloodyFlame

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mirror's Edge.
Brilliant game and definitely First Person but it's hardly a shooter, is it? Using guns is a last resort and the entire game can be finished without firing a single shot. I have the PSN trophy to prove it.

I believe there is only one instance where you HAVE to fire a single bullet if you don't miss.

Anyway, Borderlands is pretty good.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I believe there is only one instance where you HAVE to fire a single bullet if you don't miss.
There is? It's been nearly a year since I played it so details are a little sketchy. I know I definitely got the silver 'Test of Faith' trophy for not shooting any enemies.

http://www.ps3trophies.com/trophies/Mirrors-Edge/Boris_Trousers

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
There is? It's been nearly a year since I played it so details are a little sketchy. I know I definitely got the silver 'Test of Faith' trophy for not shooting any enemies.

http://www.ps3trophi.../Boris_Trousers
I got the trophy too because I didn't know you could use guns until the sniper part lol.
But yeah, the trophy says about shooting enemies but the sniper part is where you have to shoot the van for it to crash.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I got the trophy too because I didn't know you could use guns until the sniper part lol.
But yeah, the trophy says about shooting enemies but the sniper part is where you have to shoot the van for it to crash.
Oh yes, I remember now. Anyway me, back on topic...

I assume the original Deus Ex goes without saying?

Gundam Eclipse

True Demon Route
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India

Oh yes, I remember now. Anyway me, back on topic...

I assume the original Deus Ex goes without saying?
After playing Human Revolution? Hell to the fucking YES. Along with a graphic patch, apparently there a couple out there V:
Planning to play it a bit later however, looking to play some other games(Including those mentioned in the topic) first :V

ZaeZae64

Trophies
Website
puu.sh
XP
Country
United States
Ever played any of the Serious Sams?

I'm assuming you've played L4D.

Killing Floor (It's a really fun game that emphasizes on Teamwork and has a bit of humour to it.)

Theres also the old ones like Counter Strike and Quake.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Darkness.
Probably the first FPS that had a story I actually ENJOYED. Pretty fun too.

The Darkness 2 was rushed and cut in half, but it's good enough to pirate and play through. But yeah, it's half a game, so if you want to buy it i'd wait till it's like $20.

Can't think of any other FPS that aren't big name titles you'd know of already.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
-UT2004 is still by far my favorite shooter. Very good bot AI, which is certainly needed, as this is more the "tournament" kind of game (it doesn't have a single player campaign).
-UT3's capture the flag and deathmatch mode are pretty good, but everything else just sucks.
-Serious sam series if you like the adventure kind of shooters where the screen is packed with dozens and dozens of enemies (doom 1 & 2 style). Haven't tried SS3, though.
-same as above: painkiller. Lots of enemies, fun weapons, pretty straightforward.
-Bioshock was pretty impressive. I heard it's just a clone of the much older game system shock 2, but to me that just adds another game to the list. Can't get myself to properly start time for bioshock 2, though.
-Unreal. Yeah, this is pretty retro by now. But the music, length, story and level design are still above what you normally get with current shooters (it's pretty comparable to half life 1, if you ask me). Just stay away from unreal 2...unless you're talking about Return to Na Pali.

Bulletstorm didn't impress me much. Once the novelty of getting points for all sorts of ways to killing people wears off, it's pretty lackluster. The fact that I've picked it up for 10 bucks and still feel ripped off isn't a good sign on this.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
UT 2004 had an epic single player campaign mode! BLASPHEMYYYYYYYYYYY

Although I must admit the true fun starts when you're kicking your friends ass (isn't that with every game, ever?)

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Single player -Try Portal 2. It's not really a shooter but for a first person style game it is unbeatable.

Multiplayer - Halo Reach is pretty good. The single player missions started off great but went a bit Meh! towards the end. I find the multiplayer very good it reminds of the old school quake 3 and unreal tournament days which is not a bad thing for an old timer like me. Stay away from the rest of the Halo series they suck.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I swore I commented in this thread a while ago. If I did and I just somehow missed something, then I apologize.

Being a bit of a Bond nut, I'd have to suggest the whole raft of Bond FPS games. Goldeneye N64 is skippable nowadays. It hasn't aged well and it's essentially the inferior stepping stone for Perfect Dark (one of the best FPS games ever too).

I'd suggest 007 Nightfire. Easily my favorite last gen FPS games and probably one of my favorite games ever. It's basically Goldeneye N64 but good by today's standards. Tons of fun weapons, maps, characters, and single player is pretty fun to. I do remember the first level being pretty remarkable for offering so many ways to complete it. You could sneak in mulitple ways or just run and gun. One of those "stealth by choice" things. Really fun game though.

Agent Under Fire is also rather good. I prefer Nightfire although Agent Under Fire had some sillier gadgets (like jetpacks and a grapple-anywhere hook) though.

While they're TPS games, From Russia With Love was alright and Everything or Nothing is awesome.

Quantum of Solace, despite being a movie game, isn't that bad either. Combines a CoD-style FPS game (while haters gonna hate, it's still pretty fun) with some cover mechnanics. The Wii version is also like one of the first FPS games on the console to sport splitscreen.

The latest Goldeneye game was also very good. I really enjoyed the campaign and the multiplayer is a lot of fun. Only played the Wii version though, I've been eager to play the Reloaded HD port.

The original Red Faction is also quite a staple for fun FPS games. Just having a "destroy everything" environment is a lot of fun.

Also, Cell Factor: The PK Wars is really fun. It certainly hasn't gotten very popular but it's a blast for multiplayer. It's about $10 on XBLA and (I think) PSN.

I also mentioned Perfect Dark and the XBLA port is remarkable. People criticize HD ports but this is better than most remakes. It kept the original game practically intact, made everything that was multiplayer have online capabilities (YOU CAN PLAY ONLINE FUCKING SPLITSCREEN SO YOU CAN SCREENLOOK LIKE A BOSS OMG), and added maps and weapons from Goldeneye N64. For $10. I bought a Xbox 360 for this game.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
UT 2004 had an epic single player campaign mode! BLASPHEMYYYYYYYYYYY

I meant 'no single player campaign' in the sense of actually making your way through different connecting levels. It's "just" a tournament roster in which you'll engage through DM, CTF, onslaught and the other gametypes. Which is probably why I never bothered to finish it: with nothing to unlock or achieve, playing the levels themselves (online or offline) just just more fun. Oh, and that UT99 remake of Hyperblast is just way too huge to serve as a proper final level.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you happen to have a PS3, I'd also suggest InFamous 1/2. Those were quite a bit of fun and had an interesting plot (especially if you don't look at walkthroughs etc). Not really an FPS, but the shooting part is FPS'ish. Gameplay videos show a bit how the games work :)

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mirror's Edge.
Brilliant game and definitely First Person but it's hardly a shooter, is it? Using guns is a last resort and the entire game can be finished without firing a single shot. I have the PSN trophy to prove it.

I always thought you unlocked something special for doing that, but I got nothing in the PC version! Honestly the guns were just a pain for me because I can't aim worth anything :(

edit - oh and my recommendation is the first Halo. It's the only shooter I can honestly say I liked. As in, I actually think, "oh, it would be fun to play Halo again" sometimes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: now i'm not gay, but hear me out