Hacking Found a way to enable Wiiconnect24 on vWii. Good or bad idea?

Alex4nder001

Part-time thug
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I started messing around with the homebrew browser in vWii mode, and ended up downloading an app called “Settings editor GUI”.
E6894BB1-B02F-4132-8C83-B30D89675931.jpeg

Apparently it allows you to edit the (v)Wii’s system settings file. It has the option to enable Wiiconnect24.
C97DDAC2-072B-416D-B70F-9933722D32E6.jpeg

I haven’t tried this yet. I’d like to, so that I could possibly use Riiconnect64 (E.g. to use news/weather/votes/mii contest channel).

Do you think it could possibly brick my console? All I’m really doing is toggling a setting that’s normally inaccessible through the settings menu. Also, I did make a vWii NAND backup in case it does screw up my console.

(All screen pictures are taken from my Wii U).

JacobM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I started messing around with the homebrew browser in vWii mode, and ended up downloading an app called “Settings editor GUI”.
View attachment 154265
Apparently it allows you to edit the (v)Wii’s system settings file. It has the option to enable Wiiconnect24.
View attachment 154264
I haven’t tried this yet. I’d like to, so that I could possibly use Riiconnect64 (E.g. to use news/weather/votes/mii contest channel).

Do you think it could possibly brick my console? All I’m really doing is toggling a setting that’s normally inaccessible through the settings menu. Also, I did make a vWii NAND backup in case it does screw up my console.

(All screen pictures are taken from my Wii U).

I'm pretty sure I tried to use Settings Editor GUI on vWii to access internet settings ~a year ago, but the setting menu was incompatible. If the internet settings option works, could you provide me with the version you are using? My best guess is activating WiiConnect24 will at worst soft brick your vWii. With the right files, you should be able to recover easily with FTPiiU. The challenge with editing vWii settings is that they are written over at every reboot. The system pulls the settings from whatever is on the WiiU NAND and converts/copies them over to the vWii NAND. Any settings you manually change would be written over at the next reboot.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Also for some reason it's disabled again when I reboot.
The Vwii setting file is recreated (based on the matching WiiU settings) every time Vwii is started

Also your use of a homebrew vaguely imitating the official GUI design offends me ;)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

so that I could possibly use Riiconnect64
Also, you would need to patch IOSes to disable/replace SSL certificates (patches which I don't think exist for Vwii IOSes), and yellow-light spotpass mode probably doesn't even attempt any Vwii-mode operations anyway...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...