Forwarder CIAs?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Dramamine!, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Dramamine!
    OP

Dramamine! Member

Newcomer
    Dec 23, 2014
    United States
    Hello.

The Wii has forwarder channels (stub application that redirects to an application on SD card). Has anyone developed a similar thing for 3DS? I see there are some apps that update regularly and I think it'd be easier to just replace the executable, rather than fully reinstall.

Thanks.

2. teampleb

teampleb BAH! DED! X_X

Banned
    Aug 26, 2015
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    Why? If you can install CIAs you can just install the homebrew itself as a CIA.

3. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    He said exactly why.

I don't think anyone's made such a thing, at least for native applications. Lua homebrew works that way tho I guess.

Margen67 likes this.
  4. teampleb

teampleb BAH! DED! X_X

Banned
    Aug 26, 2015
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    Still. Is it so hard to launch FBI and install the CIA? I wouldn't be complaining over something so trivial if I had kernel access.

5. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    This would be situationally useful for things like GBA VC/DSiware games as well, have a small stub (< 1MByte) that calls AGB_FIRM or TWL_FIRM with the titleID desired, so then when it reboots, it just takes over from there. Would save some space when installing VC games on unlinked NANDs.

Margen67 likes this.
  6. Aroth

Aroth GBAtemp Addict

Apr 14, 2015
    United States
    Because CIA installation is proportionally longer the bigger the file. For applications that update regularly and have any significant size, it can get to be a bit of a hassle to install a new cia file every few days. The more applications you use like that, the bigger the hassle.

Margen67 likes this.
  7. teampleb

teampleb BAH! DED! X_X

Banned
    Aug 26, 2015
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    I still wouldn't complain. I'd have kernel access!

8. Aroth

Aroth GBAtemp Addict

Apr 14, 2015
    United States
    Trust me, yes you would. No one in the world will ever say "oh I got this one thing I wanted so I won't complain about how it doesn't work as well as I would like or make suggestions for ways to improve it"

Anyone who says otherwise is either disillusioned by jealousy or outright lying.

Either way "you have kernel access, stop complaining" is a pointless argument offered out of spite. You should consider that if people really did "stop complaining" just because they had kernel access, those of you without it would likely never see it because no one with any skills or knowledge would bother developing anymore since "we have kernel access".

dimmidice likes this.
  9. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    You missed several steps. You can't just launch FBI.
    1. Copy the CIA to your SD card
    2. Load Cubic Ninja
    3. Load rxTools (or Pasta)
    4. Load Cubic Ninja again
    5. Launch FBI
    6. Install the CIA
    The whole process takes several minutes because of reboots. If you have forwarders, this is the way you update your app:
    1. Copy the 3dsx file to your SD card
    If there is a way to do forwarders, it will save a lot of time.

dimmidice likes this.
  10. Aroth

Aroth GBAtemp Addict

Apr 14, 2015
    United States
    That's also assuming its a tiny file that can be installed in under a minute. Either way forwarders are a wonderful idea if they can be implemented.