Hacking Formatting my new micro SD card

gangstaF

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi there!

I just got my micro sd card for the R4DS I've ordered... So I put it in the adapter, then in my printer (has a SD-card slot that I've used for my M3 many times), then... When I try to access the drive it says: "The disk in drive J is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?" - of course, but: "The disk in drive J cannot be formatted."
cry.gif

When I right-click the drive and press "format", nothing happens... I've also tried "format j:" in the prompt...

Is this normal or...?

Somebody help me!!
wacko.gif

plz...

thx in advance!
gangstaF

zeppo

change my avatar!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
uh, try it on a couple other computers? if it works, your computer's screwed. if it doesn't, the micro sd is screwed.

either way, sorry...

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Got a different card reader? I doubt your card or PC is the problem...

Your SD reader either needs updated drivers or it simply cannot support 2G cards. I have a few SD readers here which cannot format a 2G properly (the ones that do format it put 1G into bad blocks!); printer SD slots are notorious for not being able to do low level formatting (which is why you see that it cannot be formatted).

Here is the one I use these days, and it works like a charm (aka: fast) with everything I have thrown at it (though it is a bit tough to get the micro out at first)
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6108
You should be able to find the equivalent locally if you don't want to wait on dealx's slowness.

gangstaF

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Got a different card reader? I doubt your card or PC is the problem...

Your SD reader either needs updated drivers or it simply cannot support 2G cards. I have a few SD readers here which cannot format a 2G properly (the ones that do format it put 1G into bad blocks!); printer SD slots are notorious for not being able to do low level formatting (which is why you see that it cannot be formatted).

Here is the one I use these days, and it works like a charm (aka: fast) with everything I have thrown at it (though it is a bit tough to get the micro out at first)
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6108
You should be able to find the equivalent locally if you don't want to wait on dealx's slowness.
thx for the quick useful reply
smile.gif

i've got another reader somewhere, couldn't find it, but i'll give it another try. Well it isn't the card, just tested it with another card (exact same kind), the same result... maybe i should look for a driver upgrade then, i like to use it as it is right the before me
biggrin.gif

anyways, when my R4DS arrives, it will have a reader/writer with it right?

then my troubles will be over I guess...

thx!
gangstaF

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't trust the free ones, but ipvanish I've used for couple years now, n like
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I wonder if they could get CPUs to run that hot then use the heat to power a steam turbine to power the CPUs....
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good idea, or at least power the GPU
    It's not the movies or games downloads that I would worry about, like breaking into networks, downloading encrypted things, spying on network traffic. I have seen so many "Top Secret" seals on files when I was a kid
    I was obsessed with finding UFOs, a surprising amount of US files where stashed on computers in other countries, China back in the early 90s omg sooo much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that crazy, I've never tried hack into anything, I just pirate, and my ISP have send me 3-4 letters, so had to VPN it
    Ship to ship communication software for the Navy although without access to the encrypting chips it was mostly useless
    I bet now a 4090 could probably crack it? Hmmm maybe not even back then I'm pretty sure they where using like 1024 bit encryption
    Yayyy the one set finished 324GBs lol
    Compressed....
    I wonder how many years that would have taken on a 56K modem lol
    18000 hours lol
    750 days lol
    +1
    So Internet is very much faster now lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Time Remaining- 2 years, 9 girlfriends, 6 hairstyles, please standby..."
    +1
    I remember one time I downloaded like a 500MB ISO file on 56K and that literally took like 2 days
    I had some sort of resume thing, I remember the software had chains
    Damned if I can't remember.the name though
    Some sort of download management app
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey psi
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson