Formatting and Viruses

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by MrDillDough, Jun 16, 2009.

Jun 16, 2009

Formatting and Viruses by MrDillDough at 11:41 AM (1,082 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. MrDillDough
    OP

Member MrDillDough GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I'm just wondering, but does formatting get rid of viruses? I always thought it did, but now I'm not really sure about it.

So for example, if I had a flashdrive infected with a virus and I wanted to format it, would this effectively get rid of the virus on the flashdrive? :S

2. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    That's because it get's rid of everything it can. EVERYTHING. It wipes everything clean. No traces left.

I think you get it.

3. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    In theory yes, but remember your PC would be filled with those worms/trojans etc. So your back to square one.

But in general, wiping or formatting a hard drive clean gets rid of pretty much everything.

4. MrDillDough
    OP

Member MrDillDough GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    So if the computer I use to format it with has a virus of some sort on it, it just gets infected again?

But what if I format my computer, and then move on to formatting my flashdrive? Will there still be a risk?

5. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    Format the USB stick and hard drive with a Linux Live CD. Much safer.

6. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    99.99% of malware can be deleted so need to format the PC. ask help and you'll be worried free. I once infected by an un-deletable malware but it was removed after a week of supervised care from an online community of malware experts. So I dont recommend formatting your system

7. notnarb

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

A flashdrive can't be infected with a virus. It could have a lot of virus programs on it, but unless you are stupid enough to autorun setup.exe on everything that enters your computer, the viruses won't spread until you run them. If the viruses aren't run, they can't do anything so even manually deleting all of the viruses on the flashdrive should work - also accomplished by formatting.

8. dark42

Member dark42 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Disable autorun, then you can format a virus-filled flashdrive without worrying about it infecting your hard drive.

9. clownz

Member clownz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I recommend Gparted to format the flash drive. Gparted is an awesome linux live cd and very friendly and easy to use. Def take the recommendation to disable autorun, and always be careful with files unless you really really trust them because any one can *bind* a virus/worm/trojan to a file and make it undetectable. Antivirus can only detect what they program as signatures, and if a signature is unknown, new, or unseen (sometimes if a header is corrupted just right of a file) it can be executed on windows when you execute a simple .exe program.