Hacking Format system memory without losing game data?

JEDIPUPPY288

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I homebrewed my family's Wii recently, but we decided we'd rather leave it how it started out. I'd like to format the system memory, but I don't want to lose the save data on all our games. Is there any way for me to backup my save data and reload it onto the Wii after it's formatted without homebrew?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Post a syscheck to confirm you don't have any traces of shit like DarkCorp on your wii, not sure what guide you followed.

But assuming u used something reputable like modmii or wii.guide, you can just delete the hbc from data management to remove visible traces of your mod. This is safer than trying to return to a completely virgin state

On a side note, do u have a nand backup from before some/all of your mods were applied?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can transfer saves to sd card. they'll be named data.bin iirc, and they'll be in the private folder. this doesn't work for all games. some have copy protection, which require save manager gx or something similar if it exists. this should work after a format. most saves on gamefaqs are in data.bin format, and they work.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

btw, this will work without homebrew afaik as well.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Some games have copy protection and won't work without priiloader system menu hacks or homebrew like savegame manager gx. I'm not sure if there is a pattern as to which titles don't work natively.

If the user returns to an unmodified state, he presumably won't be able to restore copy protected game saves (if he has any). This is why I am advising against "virginizing" - formatting the system memory would be even worse as you would lose saves and it wouldn't even remove all softmods anyway.

The OP should ideally (re)consider 2 things. 1) why do you want to return to an unmodified state? What is the problem? Perhaps you followed an inferior tutorial if you are not satisfied with the outcome.

2) Can't you just not use homebrew and/or remove the homebrew channel and your wii functions as it did before any mods? No need to try virginizing, just remove visible traces!

Last edited by XFlak,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: lol