Hardware Folding Switch Mini?

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Considering all the work that is going into flexible displays, Nintendo probably could come out with a version of the Switch that is smaller and folds in half thanks to the display. They can integrate the Joycons so they don't come off, and used a second generation chip with reduced size.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The screen might be foldable, but nothing else inside would be. They might be able to effectively rearrange the innards, but it would most like result in an increase in overall size rather than a decrease. Plus the joy cons would have to be completely re-designed. IMO they'll leave that space open for a potential N3DS successor.

I think it would be kind of neat to see a portable version of the Switch!
Switch is already portable, lol. Not in the "fits in your pocket" sense, but nothing really has been since people started demanding "XL" versions. Still small and light enough to carry around or store in the car. And of course Switch is the only worthwhile portable with local multiplayer on a single screen.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: Pandaxclone2

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Considering all the work that is going into flexible displays, Nintendo probably could come out with a version of the Switch that is smaller and folds in half thanks to the display. They can integrate the Joycons so they don't come off, and used a second generation chip with reduced size.
I don't think those screens are foldable. They are bendable to a degree, but if you try to fold them flat they will still break.

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think those screens are foldable. They are bendable to a degree, but if you try to fold them flat they will still break.
It can't handle a crease, but it can handle a radius curve. Another die shrink would shrink the circuitry and remove cooling requirements (which could be met by venting through the bulk of the hinge) and ditching the joycons for built in controls leaves more room for moving the innards into - even if the controller parts become thinner.

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The screen might be foldable, but nothing else inside would be. They might be able to effectively rearrange the innards, but it would most like result in an increase in overall size rather than a decrease. Plus the joy cons would have to be completely re-designed. IMO they'll leave that space open for a potential N3DS successor.

Switch is already portable, lol. Not in the "fits in your pocket" sense, but nothing really has been since people started demanding "XL" versions. Still small and light enough to carry around or store in the car. And of course Switch is the only worthwhile portable with local multiplayer on a single screen.
i can't tell if your serious
I guess my joke wasn't that good lol.

I own a Switch

It's the best portable console I have ever owned

Reactions: Xzi

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably be expensive at first, anyway.

I actually want more of a Switch Slim (Light). Not something that is so small that it shrink the screen, but small enough to shrink the bezel.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It can't handle a crease, but it can handle a radius curve. Another die shrink would shrink the circuitry and remove cooling requirements (which could be met by venting through the bulk of the hinge) and ditching the joycons for built in controls leaves more room for moving the innards into - even if the controller parts become thinner.
That could work. It would be kind of bulky though. The controllers not being detachable would also make the console longer, which would counteract the benefits of a "foldable" console somewhat.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: With uremum