Homebrew Question Flycast help

natanqb

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Googling for dreamcast bios should be enough.

Here are the filenames for the files you need: https://docs.libretro.com/library/flycast/#bios
Afair, as seen on this site, you also have to put them in a subfolder named dc

You could also google for their filenames specifically. :)
Ty for the help, but i am still getting error 2144-0001, what am i doing wrong?

proffk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If your using SX OS flycast wont work and games should boot without bios. It might be the game your trying to run is not working in switch flycast core.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
GDI is the full game format
CHD ist full game format compressed (you can create them on your own), loading transitions might stutter a little more, but you save noticeable discspace.
CDI is a lossy format, where movies have been compressed down to lower quality or in some cases assets habe been removed from games entirely (originally to fit them on a CD (less space)).

The first two are preferable.

natanqb

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
GDI,CDI OR CHD
I am trying Marvel vs Cap 2 and skies of arcadia CDI and none of them are working, i am pretty sure the files are legit.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

GDI is the full game format
CHD ist full game format compressed (you can create them on your own), loading transitions might stutter a little more, but you save noticeable discspace.
CDI is a lossy format, where movies have been compressed down to lower quality or in some cases assets habe been removed from games entirely (originally to fit them on a CD (less space)).

The first two are preferable.
all right, thank you.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Ty for the help, but i am still getting error 2144-0001, what am i doing wrong?
Not reading, most likely.

Dont use .nsp forwarders, other than this one: https://gbatemp.net/threads/homebrew-menu-loader-legal-nsp.518433/

You have to use an installed Switch game (load while holding R)(or use the .nsp just linked to), to to load hbmenu (and Retroarch). Otherwise hbmenu (and Retroarch) will not have full ram access, and crash upon loading PSP and (I recon) DC games.

Only install the .nsp from the link above (or any .nsp) if you dont care about getting banned from Nintendos online service, or if you are using emunand - and therefore dont care from 'tainting' that (emu)nand.

(Or if you block all online connections with f.e. 90DNS and have a clean nand backup, that you'd be willing to going back to - and can (you are managing burned fuses))

Thats why the preferred default method is, to have people understand, that they have to launch hbmenu off of launching a game while holding R. (Game can be la legally downloaded one).

If you dont care about keeping non Nintendo .nsps off of your system, you can install the hbmenuloader from above as well, It will also give retroarch full ram access. (I use it f.e.)

This whole spiel, had to be explained for close to 100 times to people in this forum already. People starting to read would be way more preferable. :)

Last edited by notimp,

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not reading, most likely.

Dont use .nsp forwarders, other than this one: https://gbatemp.net/threads/homebrew-menu-loader-legal-nsp.518433/

You have to use an installed Switch game (load while holding R)(or use the .nsp just linked to), to to load hbmenu (and Retroarch). Otherwise hbmenu (and Retroarch) will not have full ram access, and crash upon loading PSP and (I recon) DC games.

Only install the .nsp from the link above (or any .nsp) if you dont care about getting banned from Nintendos online service, or if you are using emunand - and therefore dont care from 'tainting' that (emu)nand.

(Or if you block all online connections with f.e. 90DNS and have a clean nand backup, that you'd be willing to going back to - and can (you are managing burned fuses))

Thats why the preferred default method is, to have people understand, that they have to launch hbmenu off of launching a game while holding R. (Game can be la legally downloaded one).

If you dont care about keeping non Nintendo .nsps off of your system, you can install the hbmenuloader from above as well, It will also give retroarch full ram access. (I use it f.e.)

This whole spiel, had to be explained for close to 100 times to people in this forum already. People starting to read would be way more preferable. :)
Only because you're being a dick again, I'm going to point out that you must have been not reading if you missed all the many many times that the retroarch devs said not to use nsps at all.

Reactions: Deleted User

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I've read them. They simplified. :)
It works with this one. :)

Here is the problem.

- User needs 'something' to get full ram access (hbmenu launched not in applet mode).
- In devs mind this is 'an officially owned and installed game from Nintendo eshop'

Thats whats 'supported'.

Thats also whats 'could possibly prevent some bans' (for users being careless and not using emunand - which is NOT recommended (if you want to engage in online gaming, use a separate emunand (emuMMC) for all your homebrew and piracy needs).

As soon as you install .nsp you havent bought from the eshop - thats a very high ban risk.

Now.

What do you do, if you have eliminated ban risk (emunand is used), or dont care? But don't have any .nsp bought from the eshop?

- pirate?
- use the one nsp forwarder (to hbmenu) provided.

;)

So, the 'no nsp forwarders' message serves three purposes.

1st - there were MANY out there distributed, that simply dont enable full ram access (hbmenu still in applet mode), which was a bane to troubleshoot for devs - because of many users 'but I want to use for that game'ing it.

So "dont use any" was actually the only possible clear and short response.

2nd - On the user side, most (?!) users had legal (eshop) or pirated .nsps installed, so going with it was a no brainer. (Just hold R while launching an installed Switch game.)

3rd - If you dont, and dont want to pirate (but probably still would be banned online, because you installed a non Nintendo .nsps), you can use the one from the link above. Maybe don't bother devs with issuereports if you do - and stuff (unexpectedly) doesnt work - but I've troubleshooted many issues - when the PSP core was in development, using that hbmenu launcher - and it wasn't the cause of any incompatibilities.

Also - to be perfectly correct, a hbmenu launcher is not a retroarch forwarder. You are launching hbmenu, with full ram access. Then retroarch without a forwarder.
--

On the rudeness part.

Again - I tell people to not always 'hey I own a smartphone and I have a personal question' support request, on issues that have been explained close to 100 times, are explained in the opening posting of the respective retroarch thread, and take time to explain.

Because it doesnt scale.

I don't do it to be a nuisance. I do it because of the - Confucius: "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you've fed him for a lifetime." principle.

I also do it selfishly, because - I benefit, when threads arent littered with the same support requests over and over.

Now - this is not the case anymore (influx of requests has slowed down a lot), so I also understand the 'need' of some people for 'we can just be friendly and help folks out'. At this stage, thats fine as well.

My reflex still is, to name the 'try reading' part at least, so that people understand, that their questions might have been answered before.

And when I take 15 minutes to reply to a support quest, I do it with the hope, that it might help out others as well - so that a person helping another person out, scales a little better. :)
--

On a personal note. On technicalities, in here you have already proven, that you are correct more often than me. I'm not taking that away from you. ;) On social dynamics... There is some value in acting a little shrewd some times as well. You just can't overdo it.

Where I'm coming from, telling a persion to 'read' or 'search' - isn't trying to put them down necessarily. Even if you do it shrewdly. :)

Last edited by notimp,

Roamin64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't own a switch nor do I care about flycast, but i'm pretty sure flycast only works for now on atmosphere, and not on reinx ? From this post : https://gbatemp.net/threads/flycast...ble-from-retroarchs-official-buildbot.548908/

-Atmosphère is currently the only officially supported custom firmware.

Unless things changed recently?

Keep asking questions, and ignore people like notimp who thinks he should be running the forums here. He's not the one to decide if you should read countless posts or ask the questions you want to ask.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
notimp that was tl;dr as fuck, but "simplified" nothing. You tell people to read, the advice they would read is to not use nsps, and then you say you know better. Than the devs. While being a dick about it. Just give it a rest occasionally maybe.

I don't own a switch nor do I care about flycast, but i'm pretty sure flycast only works for now on atmosphere, and not on reinx ? From this post : https://gbatemp.net/threads/flycast...ble-from-retroarchs-official-buildbot.548908/

-Atmosphère is currently the only officially supported custom firmware.

Unless things changed recently?
They only officially support atmosphere, as in they're not interested in dealing with problems caused by other cfws. It probably works on reinx tho, I haven't heard anything lately to suggest it won't. I have specifically heard it doesn't work on sx os because sx os is missing necessary features. I don't know if that has changed since their update included a bunch of new atmosphere code.

Last edited by hippy dave,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn