OP
Trophies
Website
empireofsteel.thecomicseries.com
XP
Country
United States
http://news.yahoo.com/video/business-15749...eating-22954742

So students do what they always do in an exam, and the media and staff act like the school was bombed?

I've had college exams almost every class this week. If you look around the room, you'll see every other person on a smartphone looking up answers, on Wolfram-Alpha, or maybe just have notecards in their laps with cheat sheets on them. Students, especially college students that have jobs, other classes, and/or no time to study cheat all the time. Why are the media and schools jumping all over this story?

Ironically I'm just helping spread it around, but it pisses me off that so many people are in trouble for this. The days of paper-and-pencil, study-till-you-drop tests are numbered in this learning system. In this day and age, you shouldn't have to take a physics course if you're going for Nursing, or writing courses if you're going for some sort of computer field.

You should be learning through experience, not books or the internet.

The American college system is fast becoming obsolete, not just because you're forced to take "traditional" classes you don't need for your profession, but because itis much easier to obtain information than just 10 or 20 years ago. Most students can bring the aforementioned smartphones into class and get the answers while their small device is in their pocket. Wolfram-Alpha, for example, is just one of many sites that can help you on almost any test, from physics to advanced calculus.

My point is, in the real world in a real job, if you or somebody has a question you can't figure out, what do you do? Pull out a thousand page textbook and pour over it until you find what you're looking for, then put it away and see if you can solve the problem hours or days later without the book or any notes? Of course not!

You or your coworkers can use some sort of internet enabled device and find the answer almost instantly, or if that's not possible then you learn through your experience or the experience of another.

If you're in a field or area where you can't do that, well, you should already know whatever it is you need to know. Like if you're going into the medical field, or somewhere where you need to know everything by heart and you're in poor working conditions.

For the rest of us that are going to be stuck in an office or some other place surrounded by technology (like myself
glare.gif
), we don't need to memorize everything. I'm sure the greatest programmers in the world don't know every aspect of every programming language. They definitely don't have every technique in an advanced algebra book memorized.

/rant /debate

/overtired -.-

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Because the media wants everyone who cheats/has cheated to feel haunted for the rest of their lives for doing so.
You cheated...
Oooo...!

Personally I've never done it, I probably wouldn't be able to live with it haunting me.

chrisman01

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Goli said:
Because the media wants everyone who cheats/has cheated to feel haunted for the rest of their lives for doing so.
You cheated...
Oooo...!

Personally I've never done it, I probably wouldn't be able to live with it haunting me.

ditto. I know the system is corrupt and obsolete, but I just roll with it so they'll leave me alone and I get out faster.

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
And what if people want the traditional college system? The traditional system is built on creating well rounded people, not weirdos who basically only know about their field.

As for cheating, it's easy to cheat now - especially with the smartphones and the like...but seriously not kosher. What happens to those people who don't have access to these technologies? Do you say fuck you to them? (My school happens to not allow anything but pens and student cards into an exam room)

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
While I think cheating is wrong, you are completely right about these two statements.

chrisman01 said:
You should be learning through experience, not books or the internet.

My point is, in the real world in a real job, if you or somebody has a question you can't figure out, what do you do? Pull out a thousand page textbook and pour over it until you find what you're looking for, then put it away and see if you can solve the problem hours or days later without the book or any notes? Of course not!

chrisman01

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Overlord Nadrian said:
chrisman01 said:
I'm sure the greatest programmers in the world don't know every aspect of every programming language.
Oh yes they do.

"No matter how good your coding is, there will always be a bug the in the first test run" - my various programming teachers, both in C++ and HTML.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
well, cheating has always been the risky way, and in my opinion, thats what it should stay as.
if everyone cheats, we dont need schools anymore, it just makes life harder for the few people actually studying.
now, if that makes people realize again that cheating may be a last way out, but the actual worst way to go for the risk of loosing it all.

and its rather nice that he gives them the chance to confess and have it all forgotten as far as consequences go
its pretty bad that everyone has to retake the test though, feel sorry for those not cheating

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
chrisman01 said:
"No matter how good your coding is, there will always be a bug the in the first test run" - my various programming teachers, both in C++ and HTML.
Considering HTML is NOT a programming language, I'd have to warn people what you say about programming should be taken with a grain of salt.
tongue.gif

chrisman01

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
chrisman01 said:
Considering HTML is NOT a programming language, I'd have to warn people what you say about programming should be taken with a grain of salt.
tongue.gif

LOLWUT.
rofl.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML

HTML is a language for programming and designing web pages!

chrisman01

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Arctic said:
chrisman01 said:
Rydian said:
chrisman01 said:
tongue.gif

LOLWUT.
rofl.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML

HTML is a language for programming and designing web pages!
It's a markup language.

Markup tells the computer what to do, non-markup like C++ tells the computer how to do it.

In essence, two sides of the same coin, and can both be described as programming.

getting a liiittle bit off topic...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
chrisman01 said:
Markup tells the computer what to do, non-markup like C++ tells the computer how to do it.

In essence, two sides of the same coin, and can both be described as programming.No, it's not. You have no clue what you're talking about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_completeness
Read that article, then show me how you tell a computer to do math in HTML.
Hint: you can't, because it's not a programming language.

QUOTE(chrisman01 @ Nov 10 2010, 04:20 PM) getting a liiittle bit off topic...
No, this is actually a PERFECT example of what's going on.

If people can just google for the answers, they'll often misinterpret them because they never actually LEARNED what it is, and will just skim to find whatever looks relevant.

Kid, if you took a test on programming languages, you'd FAIL because you don't know what you're talking about, and searching online didn't help because you didn't read and understand what you looked up either.

Until you actually take the time to sit down and learn something, you won't know it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It says they were business students- is not the whole point to teach how to lie, cheat and steal all which time deluding themselves into thinking they are doing what they are supposed to?

Oh well I guess it is a case of "we are not mad that you cheated just that you cheated badly". Every schoolboy knows if you are going to copy answers from the back of a book you get a few wrong, indeed the very best* can argue why they got it wrong or get it wrong and maintaining the appearance they know what they are doing (an especially useful skill in the business world it would seem). On the other hand if you are going to use GPA/ultimate results as a metric rather than digging deeper you deserve everything you get.

*yes I recently reread moving pictures.

Re tertiary education becoming less valuable. I met more than a few people doing it just to get past HR people.

re programming: perhaps only tangentially related but http://www.ioccc.org/main.html is based around great programming done with the nuances of a language and is usually depends on knowing vast amounts about it all. Few would argue entrants to that are not some of the best programmers around.

chrisman01

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
chrisman01 said:

In essence, two sides of the same coin, and can both be described as programming.No, it's not. You have no clue what you're talking about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_completeness
Read that article, then show me how you tell a computer to do math in HTML.
Hint: you can't, because it's not a programming language.

QUOTE(chrisman01 @ Nov 10 2010, 04:20 PM) getting a liiittle bit off topic...
No, this is actually a PERFECT example of what's going on.

If people can just google for the answers, they'll often misinterpret them because they never actually LEARNED what it is, and will just skim to find whatever looks relevant.

Kid, if you took a test on programming languages, you'd FAIL because you don't know what you're talking about, and searching online didn't help because you didn't read and understand what you looked up either.

Until you actually take the time to sit down and learn something, you won't know it.

Hoo boy, we're on two very different pages here.

basically, both are programming lanquages, used to display data in one form or another. HTML is used to display data in a web browser, whereas C++ or some other non-markup is used to display data by its own means or through another program.

In a nutshell, they are both programming lanquages.

Also, please don't talk to me like a kid. I'm a college sophomore for game design, thanks.

-----

Ugh, why do most of my non-design related blogs turn into wars....
sad.gif

@FAST6191: ROFL good point!
rofl2.gif

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I really don't see what the big deal is. It's a common occurrence for students of all ages to cheat. In some instances, it's even the better thing to do, in my opinion. Say what you will about diligence and discipline, but some tests just aren't worth the effort. I've seen time and time again people who study every spare moment of their waking lives, and are constantly deprived of sleep. Juggling study time with homework, extracurricular activities, jobs, and who knows what else is simply too difficult in some cases.

I'm not saying it should be a regular strategy, mind you. It would seem that many of the students in this case are simply too lazy to study. But it is necessary, in some cases.

Unrelatificated: That professor isn't a very good speaker, is he?

QUOTE said:
The days of being able to find a new way to cheat the system are over... They're over.

...To say I'm dispappointed is beyond comprehension. Physically ill. Absolutely disgusted. Completely disillusioned. Trying to figure out what the last twenty years were for.

I understand he's making this up as he goes, if I were given a lecture and the lecturer was spewing improvisational silliness such as this, I wouldn't be able to stifle my laughter.
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1