Hacking Flat MII Emulation?

wiiv1.5owners3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im just wondering since flat me doesnt actually "chip" your wii its just a way to get software to run via the wii emulatin the wii's drive so my q would be is there a chance to emulate the bootmii procedure thus allowing ISO's to run a 3rd party device (like a laptop) as its now obvious that the usb port is cable of this type of programming....multi games-backup lauchers-external loader needed this would profoundly the best software out and to make that even better let it run the ISO in 7z format ie getting more on your little 250HDD...just a thought proberly get slated again for throwing around a few blip ideas how about getting preloader to have a external function since it plays with the nand.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
wiiv1.5owners3 said:
im just wondering since flat me doesnt actually "chip" your wii its just a way to get software to run via the wii emulatin the wii's drive so my q would be is there a chance to emulate the bootmii procedure thus allowing ISO's to run a 3rd party device (like a laptop) as its now obvious that the usb port is cable of this type of programming....multi games-backup lauchers-external loader needed this would profoundly the best software out and to make that even better let it run the ISO in 7z format ie getting more on your little 250HDD...just a thought proberly get slated again for throwing around a few blip ideas how about getting preloader to have a external function since it plays with the nand.
Nope, it's not. FlatMii transfers data thru its own data ribbon (as you can see in this picture) and not thru the Wii's USB port.

The dongle gets plugged in the Wii's USB port just to get power (3.3v).

wiiv1.5owners3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Flatmii not bootmii lol
usb------data would have to be transfered via usb so the flattmii could detect the games on HDD so there is data transfer flatmii doesnt have storage for an ISO as far as im aware

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
what the hell's flatmii? XD i've never heard of it! how longs it been around and such?
tongue.gif
sorry, i know google will have stuff, but people that use it are gonna know how to explain it better lol

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
wiiv1.5owners3 said:
Flatmii not bootmii lol
usb------data would have to be transfered via usb so the flattmii could detect the games on HDD so there is data transfer flatmii doesnt have storage for an ISO as far as im aware
Uhh... excuse me, what?
ohmy.gif

Anyway, I guess you're asking for something like a USB Loader. FlatMii can do that because of the chip interfacing as a drive.
The Wii's own USB ports are locked to 1.1, so even if someone does something like a USB loader, the loading speed would be so bad that everything would screw up.

If you want an USB HD loader that bad, just wait for this.

QUOTE(mikeyt1998 @ Feb 19 2009, 08:34 PM) what the hell's flatmii? XD i've never heard of it! how longs it been around and such?
tongue.gif
sorry, i know google will have stuff, but people that use it are gonna know how to explain it better lol
Duh, there's a gigantic frontpage news saying "FLATMII REVIEW" right on the Home, couldn't you just click and read that?
tongue.gif

upbumpo190

Trophies
Website
ethericwarriors.eu
XP
Country
France
I'm thinking about buying one for myself for for my up-coming birthday...

I'm really sick of wasting DVDs, and they don't come buy cheap around here, so this is perfect. (FlatMii is a solderless drive add-on with a mini USB interface allowing us to load ISOs from a nearby PC, and it's only about 45 euros!)
I've also heard (not sure) that it is x6 similar speed, so twice as better than the current soft-mod.
A USB HD loader would be nice, but like raulpica said, the Wii's USB interface is too slow...

First post kind've made me laugh, but oh well. The only dumb question is the one that wasn't asked, but I guess it does get a little annoying sometimes.

When it comes to BootMii, who knows what will be developed on top of it, adding ARM code to the brew scene should be interesting...

(Sorry for the off-topic blabber)

~ Chris

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
tj_cool said:
linkinworm said:
it could be possible if we could get 2.0 speed from the usb port, games would be slower than current backups from DVD.
If the wii only had USB 3.0
Its 10x faster as 2.0
Only, it isn't out yet
frown.gif
if anything id want faster enabled wifi for next gen, 54mb is fast enough, but it makes room for more lag

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
linkinworm said:
if anything id want faster enabled wifi for next gen, 54mb is fast enough, but it makes room for more lag
the wii is no next gen console (nintendo's words)
So its quite obvious it doesn't have next gen wifi

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
tj_cool said:
linkinworm said:
the wii is no next gen console (nintendo's words)
So its quite obvious it doesn't have next gen wifi
i know, im on about the next gen that will come out in 3-4 years

SirTempest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
linkinworm said:
it could be possible if we could get 2.0 speed from the usb port, games would be slower than current backups from DVD.

but why should a loader which uses usb 2.0 be slower than a disk drive? usb2.0 can get up top 480mbit = 60 mbyte per second. a 6x dvd-drive has a maximum of 6x1350kbyte = 8100kbyte= 8mbyte per second. and the softlaoders only get 4 mbytes per second ant this is quite enough for most of the games

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
SirTempest said:
linkinworm said:

but why should a loader which uses usb 2.0 be slower than a disk drive? usb2.0 can get up top 480mbit = 60 mbyte per second. a 6x dvd-drive has a maximum of 6x1350kbyte = 8100kbyte= 8mbyte per second. and the softlaoders only get 4 mbytes per second ant this is quite enough for most of the games
1 wii doesnt read like normal DVDs it reads in block of 2048 2 wii usb is 1.1 at the moment

mrwulff

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1 point that is not related to any of this except for the speed, is that in the review of flatmii, they tried the device on a usb1.1 connection and said that it was in fact quite playable, making everything ever said about a usbloader not being fast enough pure bs.

digitydogs

404 Error: Member Not Found
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
flatmii doesnt use the wii's usb at all, other than for power. The adapter takes the incomming computer usb signal and alters it to emulate the drive and passes it directly into the drive's data cable. believe me if flatmii was installing usb 2.0 onto wii's it would have been ripped and released the day the flatmii software became available on the web.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yes it makes your foot smarter +1