Hacking Flashing Newbie - R4 Brick Question

newyears1978

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I looked around and couldnt find an exact answer to my question, only bits and pieces. I am brand new to his flashing stuff so please bear with me and give me a break. Tonight decided to get one of these babies to play with in my daughters DS that she just got for Christmas..

I purchased (before thoroughly reading around here, my fault) the R4. Then I see all the topics about fakes, bricking and how it is outdated and I purchased the Cyclo soon after. I am trying to get my original order cancelled but not sure if that will happen. My question is will the R4, if it is a fake..damage her DS? If I never update the Firmware past 1.18 or whatever..will it "brick"the DS? What exactly does brick mean anyways? I assume make it dead, not work?

Any advise would be helpful. Im thinking if they dont cancel I will use the Cyclo for my own DS when I get it soon and just let her use the R4 but I want to make sure it won't damage anything?

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Some cards have had problems with current draw on initial power up, causing a fuse in the DS to blow - essentially 'bricking' it, as with most things a DS with a blown power fuse will not turn on. This problem is more often seen (but not something that is guaranteed to happen) on clones, as they don't have much of a name to hold up anyway so they churn out whatever junk at the cheapest prices they possibly can - cheaper parts means more likelyhood to see powerup spikes due to out of tolerance parts.

As to being worried about the DS firmware itself - read up on flashme, with it installed a DS isn't brickable short of blowing hardware fuses.

SpikeyBryan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the R4 itself isn't going to harm your DS at all, neither can a fake R4. Let's just stay out of the whole DS Bricker thing (It's probably one of the only things that can brick your ds besides FLASHME)...

Brick means that it renders the piece of hardware useless, to a point where it is nothing but a brick.

I say give her the R4 and keep the Cyclo for yourself! Because you're older and deserve better :3

Evilmaster1985

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there,

The Cyclo indeed is a better choise than the R4.

My question is will the R4, if it is a fake..damage her DS?
As far as Iam aware of fake flashcarts should not damage the DS.
However if the fake cart was manufactured bad it might.
(Just like with all other home products as you can imagine)

If I never update the Firmware past 1.18 or whatever..will it "brick"the DS?
1.18 is the highest firmware for R4 out there.
R4 is no longer supported so there will be no updates.
All versions out above 1.18 are made for fake R4.
(Using YSmenu is the only way to gain some more compatibillity)
(YSmenu is a 3rth party firmware \ kernel)
I dont think using the wrong firmware will brick your NDS.

What exactly does brick mean anyways? I assume make it dead, not work?
Correct bricking means damaging the device softwarematicly so it no longer is able to boot up.

Greetz, Vistabuser.

newyears1978

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well couldnt have gotten any better responses then that. Thanks a lot guys.

I will attempt to make sure the R4 is real before I use it..dont wanna risk ruining her DS. If it is real I'll look into the YSmenu firmware ...that is if she even needs it..I doubt she cares much about newer games...she's only 7..

Thanks again guys, once I get them I will see how it goes.

(Well I checked my email real quick and they indeed cancelled the R4 order..so looks like I dont have to worry about that problem..hehe..they said they assure me theirs R4's are fakes..this was over at Real hot Stuff...I hope my Cyclo does come spit on (hope this pun makes sense)

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
berkley said:
quick now order her a cyclo aswell!

I'll second this recommendation.
Learning one flashcart's quirks is tough enough.
Learning the quirks of two of them simultaneously is a headache and a half.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
I wouldn't give the child a CycloDS since its more complicated then the R4DS. To be honest with you I will not dare get a clone of the R4DS since the company of the R4 team put a virus/program that when you load any fake R4 onto the DS it says 'This is Fake!'

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dry.gif
Yeah canon. Because everyone lets their 7 year old kid alter the flashcart without any supervision.
Hell, I'd let my infant niece drive my car any day. Wouldn't you?

It's not difficult to teach a young kid how to get to their games on a Cyclo.
how to use the high-end options is a different matter.
Are you expecting the 7 year old to be downloading FAQs to the microSDHC and using the in-game text reader to reference them?

newyears1978

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vulpes..lol =)

Yeah..she won't be using this on her own..in fact this is mostly for when we go on trips so that we don't have to keep up with games..because face it, she will lose them.

I will mostly be using this thing for me..and my new DS I got lucky enough to get this morning. Those things are hard as hell to get right now..just happened to decide to call earyl this morning and they had gotten one in overnight...I got there right at opening in time to get in line and wait til they unlocked the door. 5 people showed after me..but I beat em..phew. Finally.

Lol. My previous DS was given to my daughter for her bday because thats what she really wanted..and I had a pink one anyways (Because the first time I tried to locate them it was just as hard and pink was all I could find)

Anyways...now just waiting to get my Cyclo..probably wil come Friday..I hope. I wouldnt think it would come on New Years..since there is probably no mail running? I wont be home anyways..its my Birthday but I have to go to my fiance's mom's wedding..

Thanks again for all the help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte