Flashcarts/Activity Log/Bricking/Updates

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Feels Good Man, Mar 26, 2011.

Mar 26, 2011
  1. Feels Good Man
    OP

Member Feels Good Man GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Nintendo seems serious about the bricking part of your system according to this warning screen before an update:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, it's reported that when you put an Acekard and whatnot into the 3DS, it'll show up as "Acekard" and not the Alex Rider/Danny Phantom cart(still needs confirmation though)

2. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

You needn't worry. Some guy posted a while ago that he updated his 3DS and his EZFlash Vi worked on it even after the update.

3. Feels Good Man
    OP

Member Feels Good Man GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Yeah, but that's missing the point. It'll show as "Acekard" apparently and according to that warning, if the rumour and that warning is true, Nintendo can brick your DS for using flashcarts

4. ut2k4master

Member ut2k4master Lord Tourettes

Germany
    the acekard works just fine if you have the newest bootloader. it then has a logo and name of some japanese game

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
  6. warmijwilfaain

Member warmijwilfaain War Mage MILF

United Kingdom
    It
    Is
    Illegal
    For
    Them
    To
    Destroy
    Your
    Product

Jesus these words alone need to be stickied. Just because you do illegal things doesn't mean Nintendo are allowed to in response. They're not the law, they're not allowed to carry out the "punishment" of people who are committing crimes (and those who are just using homebrew!)

7. doodads

Newcomer doodads Member

United States
    I'm so surprised that people can't seem to understand that Nintendo positively will not be bricking consoles. I guess they achieved what they wanted with the scare tactics though.

8. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Of course Nintendo doesn't plan to brick your system purposefully. That doesn't mean that unauthorized installed software, or cards for that matter, are 100% safe. Nintendo is not responsible for what may happen to your system should such modifications or hardware used interfere with their "normal" procedures for updating the system. They can't always work around them, so their best strategy is to remove them first, then update. Removal may not always work if the installation is that deeply integrated, but even in that case, Nintendo is still not responsible should something go wrong.

9. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    Except, at least with the current DSi flashcarts we have now, there is no possibility of a flashcard bricking your system because it doesn't modify anything on the 3DS. So this warning is pointless.

10. Oceanborn712

Member Oceanborn712 GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Well, there actually is a chance flashcards could damage your device due to bad QA. I remember the M3 Real (or was it the M3i Zero?) blowing out fuses in people's DS pretty regularly.

11. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    Hmmm, your thinking about the N5 that did that

12. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    The N5 has blown fuses on the DS. I'm assuming it can do the same on the 3DS.

13. Oceanborn712

Germany
    No, definately was an M3 device. Was pretty active in a German board back then, but only cared for threads for cards I owned and it definately wasn't the (original) R4, SuperCard DSONEi, Acekard 2i or CylcoDS Evolution (and I actually bought the M3 Real to help out the community so I was extra active in there).

14. warmijwilfaain

Member warmijwilfaain War Mage MILF

United Kingdom
    The N5 was a rubbish cart, though. Stuff like Acekard 2is and stuff are well made, so chances of them bricking or blowing a fuse in the system are so low, it's literally negligable.

15. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    AFAIK, the M3 Real has blown fuses on some DS Lite's.

It seems relatively uncommon, though as I rarely hear about that happening.

16. DarkMario616

Member DarkMario616 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Does it seriously show a japanese game and title?

Because on a US 3DS that would look suspicious unless region locking is only for 3DS games.

17. Oceanborn712

Germany
    There's no region lock in DS games, only possibly in DSi-enhanced and DSi-only games.

18. darkriku2000

Member darkriku2000 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Something I think people don't get is, as some have said, Nintendo has NO RIGHT to brick or otherwise damage your system IN ANY WAY.

The warning they put is basically saying that they aren't responsible for any damage that YOU cause to your system by using 3rd party hardware and software.

19. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    Theoretically, any electronic component could brick any other one. I could plug a flashdrive into my computer and have the whole thing short out. Is this very likely? No. Granted, if you buy crap stuff like the N5 back in the day, you're just asking for trouble.

20. redsmas

Member redsmas GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Many products for years have been stating that "illegal" and "unofficial" software/hardware will damage your system.