Hacking Flashcart options for NDS roms, possibly homebrew

DrDuck

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, this is probably a stupid question, but I think I know the score and just want some advice.

I have an original 3DS running 10.0.0-27E

I already have a Sky3DS, so I'm covered for 3DS roms. I also have ninjhax installed, so I can run homebrew (albeit without the additional ram available on lower than 9.2 firmwares).

I'm looking to buy a cart for NDS roms, and possibly to also cover a good speed GBA emulator.

So I know the *best* option for me right now is a DSTWO, which would do NDS roms and onboard CPU can run a good GBA emulator.

However, the DSTWO is pretty expensive and I was looking at the lower price R4i type cards for the 3DS.

So I have a couple of questions: do the R4i cards (and which ones?) support firmware as high as 10.0.0? And are the NDS rom based GBA emulators any good via these cards? Is it worth me paying more than double the price to get a DSTWO for better GBA performance?

DrDuck

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I thought this was the case.

So for a 10.x firmware person the best combo for all support is:

Sky3DS + DSTWO

DrDuck

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What are you expecting to change? Kernel exploit for firmware above 9.2?

Or are you talking about the DSTWO Plus - which to my understanding, still needs <9.2 for 3DS Rom support (like gateway), so a Sky3DS+DSTWO would still be the best combo for a 10.x firmware.

Or is there something I'm missing? :)

A_Random_Guy

Officially That Dev
Trophies
Website
n3dshack.weebly.com
XP
Country
Malaysia
What are you expecting to change? Kernel exploit for firmware above 9.2?

Or are you talking about the DSTWO Plus - which to my understanding, still needs <9.2 for 3DS Rom support (like gateway), so a Sky3DS+DSTWO would still be the best combo for a 10.x firmware.

Or is there something I'm missing? :)

Nope, your not missing something.

Reactions: DrDuck

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
@DrDuck if you want to give up GBA and SNES emulation through a DS flashcard to buy a cheap R4i card you should check this list: https://pongupdates.wordpress.com/flashcards-working-on-3ds/

If I were you, I would wait for DSTwo+ reviews to see if it's GBA (and SNES) emulators are better than the homebrew ones for 3DS, at least it seems that they'll run better on it than on vanilla DSTwo.

Reactions: MrMandraque

MrMandraque

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello
@DrDuck if you want to give up GBA and SNES emulation through a DS flashcard to buy a cheap R4i card you should check this list: https://pongupdates.wordpress.com/flashcards-working-on-3ds/

If I were you, I would wait for DSTwo+ reviews to see if it's GBA (and SNES) emulators are better than the homebrew ones for 3DS, at least it seems that they'll run better on it than on vanilla DSTwo.
+1
Wait the DSTwo+, you can use the advantge of Gateway 3ds, Sky3ds, CFW, old DSTwo, in only one cartdrige!!!!
My Old DSTwo is broken so i wait the DSTWo plus release.

gamerboy1995

Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Keep in mind the DSTwo plus has been rumored for a long time now and it's taken ages for them to even get out an official confirmation that they were making one at all. Though, if it's supposed to come in October like their site says, maybe it's worth waiting an extra month to find out if it's real this time.

Reactions: MrMandraque

DrDuck

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeh - I'm seeing recommendations here to wait for the DSTwo Plus, but from what I understand it's 3DS support is via gateway emulation, and since I'm on fw10, I can't use that anyway. I can already do ninjhax using the Sky3DS (albeit with slow GBA emulation).

So I'm just looking for something for fast GBA that *works on fw10* - which the original DSTwo supports.

I suppose the only thing to see in the DSTwo plus is if the SNES emulator is better. I know it's a little slow on the DSTwo (I've had one previously)

Edit: Obviously I also want NDS support, which I can get with an R4 (cheap), but I *think* it's worth the extra for a DSTwo for GBA.. I might try the retroarch nightly again tonight via ninjhax and see if its any quicker yet.

Last edited by DrDuck,

MrMandraque

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeh - I'm seeing recommendations here to wait for the DSTwo Plus, but from what I understand it's 3DS support is via gateway emulation, and since I'm on fw10, I can't use that anyway. I can already do ninjhax using the Sky3DS (albeit with slow GBA emulation).

we do not know yet if it's a hardware hack like Sky3ds, it will be compatible with 10.1 because I do not see why he would have established an "emulation" Gateway3ds

So I'm just looking for something for fast GBA that *works on fw10* - which the original DSTwo supports.

I suppose the only thing to see in the DSTwo plus is if the SNES emulator is better. I know it's a little slow on the DSTwo (I've had one previously)
The DSTwo(plus) have a (MIPS for old cartdrige) processor and 32MB RAM, so the emilator have full speed, but we must develop whatsoever with the official SDK.

Edit: Obviously I also want NDS support, which I can get with an R4 (cheap), but I *think* it's worth the extra for a DSTwo for GBA.. I might try the retroarch nightly again tonight via ninjhax and see if its any quicker yet.

if the announcement is correct, the .nds * should work without changing the cartridge (on emunand?).
The DSTwo is a cartridge that is inserted into the console and be left forever (except for maintenance).
It's like adding a CPU and additional RAM in the console.

So Wait and See!

Last edited by MrMandraque,

lolzvid

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
we do not know yet if it's a hardware hack like Sky3ds, it will be compatible with 10.1 because I do not see why he would have established an "emulation" Gateway3ds

The DSTwo(plus) have a (MIPS for old cartdrige) processor and 32MB RAM, so the emilator have full speed, but we must develop whatsoever with the official SDK.

if the announcement is correct, the .nds * should work without changing the cartridge (on emunand?).
The DSTwo is a cartridge that is inserted into the console and be left forever (except for maintenance).
It's like adding a CPU and additional RAM in the console.

So Wait and See!
It would be very interesting and awesome to see a FPGA or an APU being used on the new DSTWO+.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm