Flashcart needed if you have cfw?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by GamerJoe, Apr 17, 2017.

1. GamerJoe
    OP

GamerJoe Member

Newcomer
    Apr 8, 2016
    United States
    Ive been reading through topics for the last hour so I apologize if this has been answered a million times and I missed it. I just picked up a 3ds and wondering how the cfw works. Does it allow you to just put roms on a SD card without needing a flashcart?

2. Dionicio3

Dionicio3 Some Cool Skiddo

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    No, but you can use freeshop for get free games

3. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
  4. Dionicio3

Dionicio3 Some Cool Skiddo

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    No, he was asking if he can play 3DS ROMs off the SD card.

5. Distrance

Distrance 矢澤にこ

Nov 23, 2008
    Finland
    freeShop has all games that e-shop has. The games that it doesn't have you can install onto your console by acquiring a .cia format game from somewhere. A 3ds rom can also easily be converted into a cia format, if you cannot find the specific cia from anywhere.

Note that the compatibility to run DS games on your 3DS is very low, and for that it's recommended to get a flashcart.

slaphappygamer and Dionicio3 like this.
  6. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Oh, native .3ds rom loading isn't possible from the sd card, you'd want a Sky3DS+ although installation of a Free CFW is more approachable

7. GamerJoe
    OP

GamerJoe Member

Newcomer
    Apr 8, 2016
    United States
    So if I convert a 3ds rom to cia format then I can bypass needing a flash cart? I have an old DSTT flash cart from a DS would that be able to play 3ds games? I assume not since it was a DS flash cart

Last edited by GamerJoe, Apr 18, 2017
  8. pixelmasher

pixelmasher Gaming Gamer

Dec 12, 2016
    United States
    Near N3DS
    There are two types of flashcarts. 3DS flashcarts and DS flashcarts. You can install 3DS games to your console, but not DS (other than a select few DSiWare). For DS games, you need a flashcart. For 3DS games, you can hack your console by following the Guide and use freeShop or CIAngel to download and install games from your 3DS. You can get other games from other sources or dump your own cartridges as well. You can also use 3DS flashcart to play games, but almost no one would recommend that, unless you're on 11.4.