flashcards on a plane

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by ground, Apr 18, 2013.

Apr 18, 2013

flashcards on a plane by ground at 5:07 PM (1,979 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. ground
    OP

Member ground GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Hi all,

Maybe a stupid question but I was wondering if:
    Next Thursday I am flying from Europe to the USA. Of I course I want to take my Nintendo ds and supercard dstwo with me, but is it legal or will it be thrown away at the airport?

Thanx in advance

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    They're more worried about shit that could endanger people. I've taken my flash carts, though not personally on me, but in my checked bag.

I did, however, carry my PSP in my pocket, I just had to let it go through the x-ray machine, and nobody even looked at it for more than a second, it was just "another electronic we can confirm lacks a bomb" to them.

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Has anybody ever been pinged when going through US customs with a flash cart? Indeed has anybody ever been pinged going through customs anywhere for flash carts?
    Maybe if you tried going through with a whole box of sealed ones but not normal people with a flash cart.

For what it is worth I have not heard of anybody getting anything said about them and I imagine that would be choice news if anything ever got said there. To add personal anecdotes - UK to USA with flash carts and hacked PSP on my person on multiple occasions, ended up in "special extra interview" (a delightful experience) for unrelated reasons on one of them and they did not say word one on them or even look at them.

4. phrozenfeonix

Newcomer phrozenfeonix Member

United States
    Funny you should ask, I've taken my NDS with flashcart and PSP through customs numerous times. More than I can count. No one has ever cared about them. More than a few times if you get someone in their early twenties, they'll even have a quick conversation about them.

Further to the point, I fly Calgary to LA tomorrow evening, and fly back Wednesday, and I'll be bringing my NDS with the flashcart and a 32gb card through customs, and they won't care tomorrow, either.

5. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    The last flight I took I used my DS with a flashcard in it and they didn't pay it any mind. Hell when they scanned my stuff and took out my DS to check it to make sure it wasn't a bomb, they looked right at the flashcard and didn't even bother with it.

They aren't worried about flashcards honestly.

6. Depot4u
    This message by Depot4u has been removed from public view by Costello, Apr 26, 2013.
    Apr 26, 2013
  7. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    Gone through with flashcarts before, no big deal.

8. FearItSelf23

Member FearItSelf23 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Just put it in the basket when you are going through the metal detector then stick it back in your pocket. They aren't going to check what games are in your DS lol.

9. Chary

Reporter Chary GBAtemp's #1 Naoto

pip
    United States
    The guy at the scanner made me take out the cartridge of the DS. He looked at the game, laughed, and then told me, "crafty kid, aren't you?". Other than that, there was no problem with me taking a Flashcart on a flight.

10. marcus134

Member marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
  11. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Most of them don't know what a flashcart is, and the ones who do won't care. Go ahead and take it with you.

12. WatchGintama

Member WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    They didn't care about mine.

13. Kouen Hasuki

Member Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Norway
    Doubt it would be an issue sides there normally too busy to check every ds, PSP and laptop that goes through

14. Densetsu

Former Staff Densetsu Pubic Ninja

United States
    I read the title of this thread and thought it was going to be about some B-movie involving Samuel L. Jackson :P

Nah, they won't care. I took an M3i Zero and an R4 to Japan in 2010 (this was after Japan banned R4s), and nothing happened. Not on the US side or the Japan side.

Unless you're rocking the DS Xtreme with all its crazy flashing lights, they won't even bat an eye at your DS.

porkiewpyne and Sicklyboy like this.
  15. the_randomizer
    This message by the_randomizer has been removed from public view by Cyan, May 4, 2013, Reason: Stop replying with pictures and video. Thanks.
    May 3, 2013
  16. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States

Don't hate, I wish my DSTWO was this cool.

Densetsu likes this.
  17. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I have never heard of this happening before. Was that the extent of the story or if not can we have some more background (big airport, small, domestic, international, slow day not slow day, post scanner, pre scanner....)?

18. Chary

Reporter Chary GBAtemp's #1 Naoto

pip
    United States
    Large airport, REALLY slow day, (I don't remember having to deal with crowds that day) pre scanner. I think the guy was just curious about what kind of game I was playing.

19. Technicmaster0

Member Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    I flew last year from Germany to England with a R4 in the DS and they didn't even asked me to take my DS out.

20. Lemmy Koopa

Member Lemmy Koopa M3 Perfect fanboy

United States
    I think the question should be "would anyone mind if I bring my flashcart with me to somewhere like PAX or MAGfest". Dirty looks all around.

21. riyaz

Member riyaz Black Ace/Red Joker

Netherlands
    i took 3 flashcards on the plane to south america from the netherlands and they only looked in my ds case and not at the games

22. N!ck

Newcomer N!ck Member

United States
    I've flown with my hacked PSP and my DS flash carts plenty of times. They just scan the bags for weapons, they aren't very concerned with games.
    Anyways, if they ever did bother to check your games, I doubt they would even know what a flashcart is.