Flash2Advance Ultra

D

dvdvdv

Battery drain should be same as a commercial GBA cart as they are using ASICs instead of PLAs. This goes toward explaining the higher price. Not sure if EEPROM124 is supported - big shame if not. Sounds like this will be a good year for anyone considering upgrading their carts - I'll be waiting until there is some more competition and reviews.

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
The only reason that I want to get one is so that I can put episodes of Gundam Wing on my GBA. the 256 is more than enough for me for games, but I want to have movies! I might have to get it. we need some real product reviews first though.
How big does those episodes get and HOW do you do it? there isn't any commercial videoplayer for GBA, is there?

OldKupo

Bye.
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Technically speaking, your "Dr. Kupo" is also Anime
smile.gif
I don't understand what your taking about.

hulkamaniak

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm just wondering, how comes the gba has the power to play videos, and games can be 256 meg but when they are 256 meg they are nowhere near the graphics on the N64 games which are around the same size.

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
In my opinion 250 dollars is a ridiculous pricetag if the only intent is watching movies or playing games! I mean, consider that the GBA will hold out at least 1,5 years more. Probably there will be a new machine much sooner! So in case someone has a real specific purpose (developing or something) or too much dough on da bank it could be something, otherwise it's hard for me to understand that people are drooling over this!

TyrianCubed

Gamer 1989 to present
Trophies
Website
www.gamescollection.it
XP
Country
Italy
I don't see me buying this, at least for now...I want to buy another cart, expecially one with save and feature (clock etc) support to be safer with special games. But the price is too high and there are many question ununswered arouond it so, let's wait and see. I need to read review, and I'd also like a Q&A to know about pratical problems that may occour, like we all have experienced with our carts/writers. Anyway I don't find very useful the 1Gb cart, it has more cons that pros for me. And it's not worth that price! If this will be a good product (better thas EZFA) and the price goes down a bit maybe I'll consider buy it, but the 256Mb cart, not higher. I don't need such a big cart! Anyway if they didn't add the EEPROM_V124 support it's a real shame!

Woxxy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
on http://www.flash2advance.com/ they say:
QUOTE said:
Hardware is theoretically designed for handling 2G or even bigger capacity
i always thought the gba was made for a max of 256MB? if it really is made for more do i have to be frightened about 256MB cards to be too small soon?
no.
the official nintendo flash-carts are 128MBit Maximum.
nintendo wouldn't be able to produce carts bigger than that, as the price would blow skyhigh and in the end noone would be able to afford the games anymore.

the gba is made for an unlimited (afaik) size of a cartridge, but one game will at most be 128 MBit because nintendo's cartridges are that size.
if you have a 128MBit card, that is enough for all games, so no need to get worried.

@Elnith:
yes, there is, check out lik-sang and see what they have there! it's called AM3

A

AngelHunter

It wasn't easy for me to get the Flash Advance equipment. I only got the 128MB one instead of the 256MB with my own money since my mother brags on about how expensive they are for just one small cartridge.
mad.gif

KotaInka2

Fanboy Educator
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
i always thought the gba was made for a max of 256MB? if it really is made for more do i have to be frightened about 256MB cards to be too small soon?
no.
nintendo wouldn't be able to produce carts bigger than that, as the price would blow skyhigh and in the end noone would be able to afford the games anymore.

the gba is made for an unlimited (afaik) size of a cartridge, but one game will at most be 128 MBit because nintendo's cartridges are that size.
if you have a 128MBit card, that is enough for all games, so no need to get worried.

@Elnith:
Woxxy, are you feeling ok? I've already answered this as have many others at one time or another. The maximum is 256Mb. Whether you think companies will release them or not is irrelevant. I would argue that it becomes more and more likely with every passing day. As a system reaches the end of its life cycle, companies push the limits of the technology and they also just get better at programming for the system in general. I don't think it would be unreasonable for the industry giants to drop 256 carts for their flagship titles. I could easily see Nintendo taking the leap for an original unported Zelda or Mario game because it would have a great deal of hype behind it, not to mention there wouldn't be as much splitting of the pie if it were inhouse work.

Still, the answer to that question is obviously no as the result of that same number. 256Mb flash carts will just offer slightly less convenience if 256Mb games become the trend. However, a trend of 256Mb carts are unlikely.

D

Deleted User

I compressed one episode of Gundam wing (which are about 23 minutes long) with Meteo. It turned out to be around 400 mbits, for one episode. that would be the only use for this card for me. I'm secretly hoping that someone can figure out a way to DOUBLE the compression rate for Meteo so I can fit an episode of Gundam Wing on my 256 cart. I know that the quality would be half rate, but I have a hour train ride to work each day and watching during the ride would be great.

but I digress - I dont think that I will buy the 1G cart unless a nice review comes along and clears up our questions about the save banks. The unlimited revival or whatever is not needed at all, c'mon kids, learn to play the game the way it was meant to be played!

Would be nice if Borden turned around and released one of these at a lower price, I know that they dont cost that much to produce! I mean, the price of a 256 is around 100, I can buy a gamecube for 100, and I'm sure the Cube costs more to make (though we have to consider the volume of units produced), but still... The 1g is too pretty a penny for me right now, especially since I just upgraded to a EZFA 256 from a F2A 256 last month.

E

exile

QUOTE said:
no.

@Elnith:
Woxxy, are you feeling ok? I've already answered this as have many others at one time or another. The maximum is 256Mb. Whether you think companies will release them or not is irrelevant. I would argue that it becomes more and more likely with every passing day. As a system reaches the end of its life cycle, companies push the limits of the technology and they also just get better at programming for the system in general. I don't think it would be unreasonable for the industry giants to drop 256 carts for their flagship titles. I could easily see Nintendo taking the leap for an original unported Zelda or Mario game because it would have a great deal of hype behind it, not to mention there wouldn't be as much splitting of the pie if it were inhouse work.

Still, the answer to that question is obviously no as the result of that same number. 256Mb flash carts will just offer slightly less convenience if 256Mb games become the trend. However, a trend of 256Mb carts are unlikely.
Two small points to add:

1. There is allready one out (Prince of Tennis)
2. It also becomes more likely as time passes because the chips they use become cheaper, a lot cheaper.

If you think about how popular flash memory has become over the last year or so you will see that the chips used in these cards are practically nothing nowadays. The popularity as well as cheaper developing costs, payback of R&D, etc... all results in the products getting cheaper over their lifespan and consequently over the GBA's lifespan.

This really all depends though. If the card is using something like a 1GB flash chip (unlikely, do to price and the need to fool the gba into thinking it is broken up into 256 banks, though obviously the easiest way to fit it into a normal size cart) the price will be higher because it is fitting more into a smaller area etc... same trend as normal flash carts and also with ram. But I assume that it is really only 4X 256 chips.

P.S. I am not even sure that 1gb chips are out yet, so if they aren't, don't make a big stink about it. I was just making a point
tongue.gif

And Dr. Kupo, Anime owns your ass!
ph34r.gif

Lt_Landerx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Littlewrite support? still Daddycool works on LW? i waiting for a new version for months and nothing
frown.gif
!

Real time clock support? who cares (only the pokemon games and boktai supports it and pokemon sucks
biggrin.gif
)

support for all saves type? i love the saves patchs
tongue.gif

watch animes on go? my casio portable tv do the works (with locomotion of course)

a big card sound good but im very happy with my old 256mbit one

remember this will be the last year of the gameboy advance...

MadBob

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Littlewrite support? still Daddycool works on LW? i waiting for a new version for months and nothing
frown.gif

a big card sound good but im very happy with my old 256mbit one, remember this will be the last year of the gameboy advance...
Dadycool no longer writes Little Writer as far as I can tell.

and it might be the last year of the current GBA / GBA-SP but as long as the new one is backwards compatible then there is no problem.

I would be surprised if a new GBA2 comes out and only supports small discs, they will have to also support the old carts (same as the GBA did with GB/GBC) or none of my money will be going to Nintendo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, Then i think people were talking about fallout 76
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    that one was buggy too
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right there, fallout 76 was a letdown, but it not that bad now, they have fixed slot of issues they had at launch. Biggest issue with Fallout 76 is its a pay to advance further type of game, which sucks
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I may probably download fallout 3 or new vegas on my ps3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz I didnt like fallout 1 that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New Vegas is awesome, F3 was ok too.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I played Fallout 4 on PC, I enjoyed it honestly. Not my favorite game on earth but at the same time I didn't hate it at all lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool you got a ps3... Glad to hear. Game on!
    +1
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL. Of course that's before most you guys even were born yet.
    Lol I think my first modem was 48K but it had some sort of firmware or software update that let me get 56K
    +1
    I had EarthLink lol
    A bunch of NetZero accounts that I used for things... Lol
    +1
    So glad I'm not in prison lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea marriage is a bitch sometimes...
    I legit think they passed the cyber terrorism laws from some of my hmm pranks lol
    I knocked the east coast backbone of EarthLink offline for like 6 hours one time, was on the news and everything well I mean I wasn't on the news.... Just they where having "technical difficulties" lol
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I knocked the east coast backbone of EarthLink offline for like 6 hours one time, was on the... +1