Flash Carts and the 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by ACWWFAN, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Jun 18, 2010

Flash Carts and the 3DS by ACWWFAN at 6:15 PM (15,445 Views / 0 Likes) 72 replies

1. ACWWFAN
    OP

Member ACWWFAN HERP DERP

United States
    So, anyone thought about this too? Like, would you be able to use your flashcart for your DS games on your 3DS since it is backwards compatable? They haven't patched anything on the DSi for the current crack for flash carts so I assume they haven't done anything on the 3DS to block them right? Thoughts?

2. Kwartel

Member Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Netherlands
    look at gbaflashcards and the ds. THEY DIDN'T DO A FUCK!!!

3. Twilight Loz

Member Twilight Loz GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Flashcarts only let you play ROMs, they dont let you use the camera feature if a game supports that option. Tbh, if you wanna hack the DSi, I think your gonna have to mod it just like the Wii. Same with the 3DS

4. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I imagine they will be able to block DS flashcarts. With the Acekard for example there's known a flaw in the DSi camera which will cause the Acekard to be indentied as an Acekard instead of Danny Phantom.

I also gather that many ROMs have bad headers, i'm Nintendo could do something about that. Of course it would just require ROMS to be redumped.

5. berlinka

Member berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Netherlands
    I'm convinced after the tsunami of flashcarts and every Joe that had one (bought from another Joe at the end of the street), the 3DS will be unhackable and will be 100% flashcartproof.

my 2 cents

6. Twilight Loz

United States
    i bet people that works for nintendo are bare looking at this forum

7. specht

Member specht GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Wouldn't the inclusion of an SD card slot allow gamesaves to be used as a buffer overflow similar to the old GTA HEN on PSP or the Twilight Princess hack on Wii?

I always assumed the reason we relied on flashcarts for so long was due to there being no other input devices we could use.

Then again, I'm no expert on DS/DSi hardware and I assume people thought of these methods before with DSi.

8. Tokiopop

Member Tokiopop Caffeine fiend

United Kingdom
    Basically, you're asking when this will be hacked (or flashcart enabled, at least). No one can tell, or even make an informed guess since only a handful of people have had a go on a prototype 3DS.

Don't expect there to be any piracy on this console, because you might be waiting a long time.

Nothing is unhackable [​IMG]

9. LapisLazuli

Member LapisLazuli Thrills, chills, kills!

United States
    If the "i/LL" series of flash cards don't work I'm sure they'll make a new 3DS series of flash carts.

10. johncenafan427

Member johncenafan427 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    hope we can use flash carts on 3ds!

11. ACWWFAN
    OP

Member ACWWFAN HERP DERP

United States
    Ok guys, thanks for your opinions, on a side note, does anyone know if they are still working on hacking the DSi?

12. DeltaBurnt

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
    It may be true that nothing is unhackable, but just look at the PS3. People have made tiny cracks in the console, but after years of trying we've still gotten no where.

However swap magic for PS2 games does work on the PS3, so I suppose that there'll always be some old way of pirating on a new console. Basically what I'm getting at is if the 3DS is as tough as Ninty is implying it is, then we'll probably get flashcarts working with only DS rom playing. Then maybe after a lot of work the 3DS will be ripped open.

The one problem is that the 3DS is supposed to have even more AP measure than the DSi, and the DSi isn't even that close to being hacked.

13. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    There probably aren't many working on the DSi, especially as the 3DS is getting more interest. Hopefully though, if and when a 3DS exploit is found, it might help the DSi too.

14. Anakir

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    Even if pirating on the 3DS isn't as easy as the DS - just putting in a flashcart with microSD filled with roms and homebrew - there will still be a way to bypass it. I have a feeling that the 3DS will require a bit of soldering/flashing/hardmodding before the flashcarts would work.

15. Nollog

Member Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Ireland
    http://hackmii.com/2010/02/lawsuit-coming-in-3-2-1
    This is a primer for how they can easily block your flashcarts.

Not that it would matter, flash cart manufacturers will make you buy a new cart regardless.

But it would be nice if the DSTWO used it's cpu to fool the 3ds menu into thinking it was a 3ds game.

16. trans am

Newcomer trans am Advanced Member

Portugal
    Hopefully initially it will be hard to crack/hack it so games actually sell on the system, maybe near the end life of the system someone makes a flashcart that works. Also the 3DS carts will support up to 2GB, it won't be as convenient as with the DS if the ROM's are near 2GB so that alone would slash some of the piracy.

17. gamefreak94

Member gamefreak94 GBAtemps (Un)Official Illogical Poster

United States
    Flash carts didn't work on the DSi at first. That is why there are DSi compatible flashcarts.

18. tk_saturn

United Kingdom
    That's debatable.

The crucial word is upto 2GB.

Remember ROMs can be trimmed. It's likely for example that if a ROM is 1111MB, it will be on a 2GB cart.

Nintendo increase cartridge capacity as the price of memory drops. For example the capacity of the DS cartridges has increased over time, you can now see quite a few 256MB Roms. However the same applies to MicroSD cards, they drop in price/ increase in capacity over time.

Give it 3/4 years into it's lifespan, and provided the 3DS has been cracked, it'll be just like it is now on the DS. Remember we are now at the end of the DS's lifespan, 5 years ago things were very different.

19. Twilight Loz

United States
    look at ff13, the size of that game is approx 50gigs and they selling it for £35-40. Id expect the 3ds game price to be £30

20. tk_saturn

United Kingdom
    A single Bluray has a capacity of 50GB. Entirely different, you can't compare that to a cartridge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.