Hacking Flash Cart Recommendation...

Qbidiot

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just wondering if there was a flash cart out there that is considered to be the 'best' right now? I read all the reviews and was thinking of getting the DS-X but I'm really unsure. I like how the DS-X has a high compatibility and how it's produced in a English speaking country. Any information would be very appreciated!

Icarus

fire walk with me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DS-X is really over-priced. I think you can get a better combo instead of paying 100 something bucks for a 1gb DS-X. With that money, you can get yourself a R4, a 2GB Japanese MicroSD, and an EZ 3-in-1 Solution. Trust me, you can't go wrong with R4, besides, doesn't R4 have better game compatibility than DS-X to begin with? I thought DS-Xs couldn't run Zelda without downgrading or something.

Just because R4 is a China based cart, it doesn't mean it has a bad support. R4 team releases an update every month and they're greatly improving it with each upgrade.

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The DS-X should no longer be considered a flash cart. It should be treated as a homebrew-only cart.

They refuse to update their firmware to support the new RSA encryption routines found in new ROMs (like Zelda), and any talk about this issue on their forums results in a ban.

Skip the DS-X and buy an R4.

(But if you still want a DS-X, I'll sell you my 512MB unit for $50!)

Qbidiot

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow thanks for the fast friendly information! I'm going to look into the R4 very seriously now. I really appreciate the help.

jeklnoo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you want GBA compatibility, I recommend a supercard lite. It has perfect DS compatibility, pretty good GBA compatibility, plus 32MB of RAM for things like DSLinux or Opera browser.
electrobee.com is having a sale with a free SuperKey (a nopass), if you don't have FlashMe already installed.

Of course, R4 is good too, but buying a R4 + EZ 3-1 seems like overcomplicating things when SuperCard can do all the features of the above two combined.

Qbidiot

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is Kingston a good brand to buy when talking about the microsd? I read somewhere that the Scandisk 1GB version has issues but the 2GB didn't. I know Scan Disk is pretty good but Kingston seems to be pretty good too...

Qbidiot

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks again everyone! Thanks to you guys I was able to make a informed purchase of 1x R4 with a 2GB japan microsd memory card. Cant wait to play around with it.

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Kingston "Made in Japan" is a rebrand of Toshiba. There are a lot of rebranded Toshibas out there, so don't be limited by Kingston.

chuckstudios

Putting the pro in procrastination
Trophies
Website
www.schlarp.com
XP
Country
United States
If you want GBA compatibility, I recommend a supercard lite. It has perfect DS compatibility, pretty good GBA compatibility, plus 32MB of RAM for things like DSLinux or Opera browser.
electrobee.com is having a sale with a free SuperKey (a nopass), if you don't have FlashMe already installed.

Of course, R4 is good too, but buying a R4 + EZ 3-1 seems like overcomplicating things when SuperCard can do all the features of the above two combined.

lolwut

Supercard for GBA compatibility?
wtf.gif

flai

Androgynous Apparently :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Your not going to get a recommendation from anyone for a DS-X. If price is an issue, and R4 is your flashcart. If you are prepared to spend that little bit extra, I recommend the G6DS Real.

nfan

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
electrobee.com is having a sale with a free SuperKey (a nopass), if you don't have FlashMe already installed.

Sorry, but that's nonsense. It's well known that the SC has slowdowns with several GBA games.

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Naturally we have "fanboys" (if you don't like the expression, ignore it, just a way of characterizing supporters of a determined flash cart) of all popular carts. No one in their right mind would support the DS-X, seeing as it's updates are throughly bad and take a long time to be released.

The R4 has a lot of supporters, me being one of them (SUPPORTER, not fanboy), and I did have a DS-X, which I liked to use until a few months ago when 1.1.2 was released. Completely screwed up my Pokemon game, which I DID NOT LIKE A BIT, despite having an older backup which I had to resort to. So I got an R4. I was thinking, hey, it seems a little better than the DS-X, soft reset, AR codes, they're all cool funcions, but you can go pretty well without them, right?

So I got my R4 a few weeks ago. I was amazed at the easiness of just updating the firmware and setting things up! No buggy FPGA, EEPROM, updating issues, etc. Just copy to MicroSD and load. Very easy.
smile.gif

Game loading times have made my friends awe in surprise because I had shown them my DS-X a few months ago and it was slow (still fast, though, but R4 beats it).

Soft reset just made my friends go O.o, and I like the feature a LOT. It's extremely handy when I just want to play another game without the hassle of hard-resetting my DS (doesn't take long, but hey, if time can be saved, why not? ^^).

Action Replay codes are a good feature, surely, but I don't use it a lot. Why? Because I like the pleasure of beating the game, instead of skimming through it in 2 hours (e.g. main story, mode, etc. complete) with some superpower 999HP or all items in a jiffy). I use it sometimes, but only when I'm really annoyed because I can't pass a certain section of the game.

So my point is practically go for the flash cart that most suits you. I went for the R4 - excellent features and price. And there are legions of fans for the R4. But despite this, take a look at other flashcarts. Because the scene is not only centered around the R4. There are a lot of other (really good) flash carts out there like the Cyclo Evo, EZ V, SC-ONE, G6DSR, etc...it just takes some research.
wink.gif

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

Supercard Lite is the WORST Gba flashcart EVER. The EZ-3in1 or EZFlash 4/M3 Adapter are the best solutions.

paul1991

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Ncard is good for the begginer pirate.
It has 100% compatiblity with all commercial roms and its vers cheap.
(About 30$ for the 8gbit)

TheNeck

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Like brutalboy said, do some research, and see what you find that suits your needs. I got a cyclods evolution about a month ago, which was my 1st flash cart, and man does my family love using it. So much, we are getting another DSL to play as a family, so we will have 2 DSL & 1 DS.

The reason i got the cyclods evolution at the time, was because of the download play compatibility, but now the R4 as of this week has the same download play compatibility. I personally recommend the G6 Real 16GB(which I think will be my next flashcart), it $ is not a problem. But if $ is tight, go with the R4, then the cyclods evolution would be my next choice.

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just jumped ship from my EZFlashIv Lite to the gorgeous R4DS I received this week.
No more patching; no more romlist editing; just drag'n'drop. Add to that the soft reset, cheat codes, download play, game compatability........ WOW !!!

R4 is my recommendation

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up