Fix waninkoko v1 brick

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Magsor, Feb 8, 2011.

Feb 8, 2011

Fix waninkoko v1 brick by Magsor at 2:12 AM (2,415 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. Magsor
    OP

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    SOURCE

Still really hard to do but less expensive than sending it to sony....

2. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    The issues with doing that could possibly still leave you bricked. If any one of those 56 blocks are bad then it will not work at all.

3. codezer0

Member codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    Interesting... but where would you get such gear, anyway?

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    NAND chips are rarely highly custom things (normal worst case scenario is your chosen company will purposely choose chips with lots of bad sectors to try to frustrate would be hackers) and even if they use an odd package they will usually have test points on the motherboard or pinouts available somewhere. Unless my cursory search is incorrect http://www.samsung.com/global/system/busin...08x0m_rev10.pdf has it.

In a pinch you can sometimes repurpose a XD card reader (it cuts the other way as well- XD cards make easy to source NAND chip replacements) but normally it is just a matter of finding a basic electronics component supplier with one in stock (same idea as finding a EEPROM tool, JTAG tool, i2c tool or some other chip debugger/programming tool except those are a bit more common (NAND writing is usually done in circuit). Some opt for the forensic/repair side of things as well but that is overkill for the standard home user type and others still opt for building one using a programmable IC. If you want though I believe infectus do a PS3 nand reader/flasher.

The rest is just software.

Back on topic nice work all involved. It will probably get more refined as time goes on (mainly bad block handling or mitigation) but nice to see it taking off.