OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Researchers said Thursday that for the first time they've discovered an extrasolar planet that could harbor life, as it lies squarely in the so-called "habitable zone" of a nearby star.

The planet, dubbed "Gliese 581g," is the sixth known planet found orbiting the red dwarf known as Gliese 581, found within the constellation of Libra. The planet was found by teams at the University of California (UC) Santa Cruz, and the Carnegie Institution of Washington, after nearly a decade of observations using the W. M. Keck Observatory in Hawaii.

If Gliese 581g orbited within our solar system, its nearly circular orbit would place it just outside the orbit of Venus, well within the "habitable zone" where liquid water could be found. The presence of water is usually considered a good sign that life could exist.

source:http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2370008,00.asp

Scott-105

Bow to me. Please?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Prepeare for space colonization
smileipb2.png

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
this would a strange place to live:
QUOTE said:
Gliese 581g, dubbed a "Goldilocks planet" by co-discoverer R. Paul Butler of the Carnegie Institution of Washington, is tidally locked, meaning that the same face of the planet always is oriented toward the sun, with another residing in perpetual darkness. Life could be found near the terminator, or the intersection of the two regions.
that means no night and day cycle, just choose either (day side = probably too hot, night side = probably too cold, you'd have to live near the intersection)
interesting, but probably way too far to envision colonization?

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Costello said:
QUOTE said:
Gliese 581g, dubbed a "Goldilocks planet" by co-discoverer R. Paul Butler of the Carnegie Institution of Washington, is tidally locked, meaning that the same face of the planet always is oriented toward the sun, with another residing in perpetual darkness. Life could be found near the terminator, or the intersection of the two regions.
that means no night and day cycle, just choose either (day side = probably too hot, night side = probably too cold, you'd have to live near the intersection)
Simple: Make it spin.

Either that or live underground.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's probably more likely that they are interested in this planet because of it's possibility for life. As stated the scientist who discovered it detected a mysterious signal never before seen come from that planet.

Plus this is the most earth like planet to date.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeltaBurnt said:
It's probably more likely that they are interested in this planet because of it's possibility for life. As stated the scientist who discovered it detected a mysterious signal never before seen come from that planet.

Plus this is the most earth like planet to date.
Maybe it's a distress signal calling out for a lone bounty hunter to save them.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha it is a signal saying they found us and in 22 years they were going to repopulate our species, considering they live 20 light years away... what's that UFO outside?

0ddity

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Costello said:
QUOTE said:

Probably not too hot on the hot side, the average surface temperature is 10 degrees F. However, life exists in much harsher conditions on earth than this planet in general, both hot and cold.

player1244

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
0ddity said:
Costello said:
QUOTE said:

Probably not too hot on the hot side, the average surface temperature is 10 degrees F. However, life exists in much harsher conditions on earth than this planet in general, both hot and cold.

If this is the case, does that mean that there is no time on this planet? Probably a stupid question, but...
unsure.gif

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
_Chaz_ said:
Costello said:
QUOTE said:

IT'LL BE LIKE GURREN LAGANN ALL OVER AGAIN!!!111!1123!!

But seriously, that would be interesting. Not for me though, I live in Victoria, AUS. The weather here is pretty much like that.

blacksniper

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No, it means that there is no day/night cycle. Imagine if the earth stopped spinning and how the sun would then light the earth. Certain areas on the planet would always be in light and others in dark. Time would still flow at the same rate it would just lack a natural visual representation as vivid as day and night to show the passing of hours..

Here's a good example. The moon is tidally locked to the earth. You've never seen the dark side of the moon from earth and you never will. The mood is tidally locked to the earth.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
How far is it from Earth? Most of these planets that could support life are too far away for colonization. As for the possibility of extra-terrestrial life, I say probably, but not intelligence.
Life is inevitable under the right conditions, but intelligence (human or greater), is a crapshoot.

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
*Packs suitcase*

I think it's great for the sience of aliens and stuff, but nobody will be able to go there.
frown.gif

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
8BitWalugi said:
_Chaz_ said:
Costello said:
QUOTE said:

IT'LL BE LIKE GURREN LAGANN ALL OVER AGAIN!!!111!1123!!

But seriously, that would be interesting. Not for me though, I live in Victoria, AUS. The weather here is pretty much like that.
I'd be down for drills that could shrink, grow, expand, and shoot beams.

cruznik71450

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I heard this new planet is a lot closer to the sun and is a bit larger then earth but with size of it's sun and it's planetary revolutions it's capable of sustaining life. This is a huge breakthrough tho. I bet NASA will send a signal to it soon and a scouting satellite to look at the surface a bit closer. That would be nuts to see civilization or differently evolved life. The main thing about all this searching is just a single living bacteria. There is a lot to learn from other planets even if there different.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
cruznik71450 said:
I heard this new planet is a lot closer to the sun and is a bit larger then earth but with size of it's sun and it's planetary revolutions it's capable of sustaining life. This is a huge breakthrough tho. I bet NASA will send a signal to it soon and a scouting satellite to look at the surface a bit closer. That would be nuts to see civilization or differently evolved life. The main thing about all this searching is just a single living bacteria. There is a lot to learn from other planets even if there different.
Assuming we can send something that actually still works when it gets there, with current technology it would take at least take 30 or so years before the edge of our solar system is reached. Then it still needs to travel about 20 lightyears (surprisingly little if you ask me) which at best, currently, takes 20 years (assuming we get something up to light speed with a light sail or w/e). So let's hope they send something soon else it won't even happen in our lifetime
wink.gif

cruznik71450

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Scorpei said:
cruznik71450 said:
Assuming we can send something that actually still works when it gets there, with current technology it would take at least take 30 or so years before the edge of our solar system is reached. Then it still needs to travel about 20 lightyears (surprisingly little if you ask me) which at best, currently, takes 20 years (assuming we get something up to light speed with a light sail or w/e). So let's hope they send something soon else it won't even happen in our lifetime
wink.gif
Well even if it doesn't happen in our lifetime it's still amazing to think about the possibility of this planet having life. Tho it might take a long time to get something that will take data of the planet and/if there is life it'll boost the development and research of a capable ship/satellite that can scan more area faster. With that being done we can learn and find things much faster. We will get smarter with every bit of information we can get our hands on. Who knows with a couple hundred years we could travel galaxies within a couple days or weeks or even evolve as humans to live in space no need to worry about earth getting ruined or sun burning out.

shango46

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is really interesting news. If there is life on this planet, and it is more than just bacteria, that would be amazing! I think we need to do what they did in Wall-E (or whatever it's called) and build a ship that is capable of sustaining life long term and send 500 people on their way to this planet. As people get older, they can have children to take their place. So even if it takes 250 years, people would get there. We have to start somehow, right?

I would sign up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1BDM1oBRJ8