• Views 4,499
  • Replies 38

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
My friend used to have a game gear and i LOVED SONIC! I hated sonic on the master system and mega drive.. and even the wii. But on the gamegear it was excellent.

Did space harrier come out for GG? I had it on the Atari Lynx... that was amazing too... but probably not GG lol.

Columns was ok... and... erm... sonic was cool...
How can you hate Sonic for the Mega Drive? D=
Those were the best Sonic games imho. =S

I completed them all, the first was good enough but then it was a bit samey. The GG was portableish so we could play it at school. (I was in primary school back then)
plus we all had SNES's so it was totally biased.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
How can you hate Sonic for the Mega Drive? D=
Those were the best Sonic games imho. =S

I completed them all, the first was good enough but then it was a bit samey. The GG was portableish so we could play it at school. (I was in primary school back then)
plus we all had SNES's so it was totally biased.
Sonic 3 was nothing like Sonic 1 though - it included numerous new mechanics, not to mention a massive graphics overhaul.

While I admit that GG's Sonic was pretty good, my personal choice are definatelly the MD games. Unforgettable, really.

Reactions: 3 people
D

Deleted-236924

OP
I tried Sonic and Tails on the GameGear, but I just couldn't get into them no matter what.

D

Deleted-236924

OP
u5ABL.gif
I see what you did there.

But really, the limited field of view due to the smaller screen size made it a bit annoying for me; I kept running into enemies before I could see them.
Maybe I'm just a noob.

Reactions: 1 person

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Will they supply a magnifying glass to play these as well? The screens look so small with the banner. Smaller than the touch screen. I'm getting tired of some of the old 8 & 16 bit games. I wan't something new that is going to blow my mind away. If all they are going to do is keep giving us tonz of old stuff let them just make an emulator console for that and design a new machine for the mind blowing sound & graphics. We can already play all this stuff on our pc's, I don't think I have played the ambassador games more than 5 to 10 times each as it is.

spark1223

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im sad I never got to experience the gamegear in its era, and for that matter very many gameboy games. I was too stuck on Pokemon to really enjoy the other games. The Pokemon games (with a small exceptions) where almost the only games I felt really emerged in (is that the right word?) back then... I should try some of these games.

spark1223

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish they would concentrate on making the games themselves 3d rather than the homescreen icon
Every single 2D emulator can only "make the games 3D" in one very specified way - emulate the hardware it was made for, separate layers of tiles (or whatever other type of graphics is used) and re-arrange the layers ever so slightly to cause the feeling of depth. If the layers weren't originally placed in a way that would allow such a procedure then there isn't much they can do to change that on an emulator, sorry.
I was refering to remaking classic games the way they remade Excitebike, Kirby, Kid Icarus NES classics into 3d. I understand that effort is put into reprogramming the games to utilize the 3D effect. I wasn't suggesting they would just take a GG rom and instantly transform it into 3d.

And what's interesting is, with 3D games it's easier to "convert" them... its how the 3D data is passed to the graphics card.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
if i remember correctly, devs had a tough time converting NES roms into 3D despite having all assets available (probably including decompiled or uncompiled files). it's not just a matter of adjusting layers, because not all games use layers intuitively -- some games keep a whole single layer for effects, some games use multiple layers for the background tiles, some games might even have everything on a single layer.

i think most of the difficulty in 3D classics was that they probably had to redesign graphics from scratch. they keep the assets (the sprites, the music) but trash everything else--animation, layering, etc. they do all that from scratch. i guess that's why they say development of 3D classics is tantamount to developing a new game entirely.

bottomline is, no 3D because 3D classics is too much work.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
if i remember correctly, devs had a tough time converting NES roms into 3D despite having all assets available (probably including decompiled or uncompiled files). it's not just a matter of adjusting layers, because not all games use layers intuitively -- some games keep a whole single layer for effects, some games use multiple layers for the background tiles, some games might even have everything on a single layer.

i think most of the difficulty in 3D classics was that they probably had to redesign graphics from scratch. they keep the assets (the sprites, the music) but trash everything else--animation, layering, etc. they do all that from scratch. i guess that's why they say development of 3D classics is tantamount to developing a new game entirely.

That is correct, but only on the "early" consoles that did not have standarized development kits. ;) On the NES, it was usually the developer that had to come up with a way to program for the platform, hence there are so many types of devkits around. It wasn't until much later that selling development kits to studios became a standard and "Modes" and the like were introduced to facilitate programming.

Making a NES game appear 3D is a walk through hell, a SNES game however would be considerably less "annoying" to convert.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania

That is correct, but only on the "early" consoles that did not have standarized development kits. ;) On the NES, it was usually the developer that had to come up with a way to program for the platform, hence there are so many types of devkits around. It wasn't until much later that selling development kits to studios became a standard and "Modes" and the like were introduced to facilitate programming.

Making a NES game appear 3D is a walk through hell, a SNES game however would be considerably less "annoying" to convert.
Hell if you much around in an SNES emulator, you can easily change the way the layers work. I'd imagine modifying the game to have some of these layers have a 3D effect would be pretty easy

But what do I know

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Hell if you much around in an SNES emulator, you can easily change the way the layers work. I'd imagine modifying the game to have some of these layers have a 3D effect would be pretty easy

But what do I know
That's what I had in mind when saying that it would be easily achievable on most SNES games, but not so much on NES games which differ in structure greatly as there was no "standarized" way of making them. :)

On the SNES, you have a restriction when it comes to display Modes so an "emulator" knows exactly what kind of graphics it's supposed to display in what mode. On the NES, you get a "mess" of tiles that only a specific game engine can actually interpret as something meanigful.

loco365

Trophies
XP
I might emulate some of the games before going ahead and getting them. As for the "crappy" banner, that's because I find the anti-aliasing is much better with the 3D turned on, and it's much worse when off. But I rarely have the 3D off so whatever.

I wonder what Sel+Start will do on boot?

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like them to do the first GG/MS Sonic as I loved that more than the Mega Drive version. There are a lot of good titles for Game Gear but most are first party, 3rd party companies generally just ported over games.

I really hope we see some Neo Geo Pocket Colour games on this service, that handheld was an absolute underrated gem.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That is some nasty shearing and some horrible resizing on the icon/banner there, Nintendo - you ought to fix that!

Other then that, GameGear and anything Sega is always welcome.

they are emulating the gamegear to it fully that why is looks like that

Seems pointless when some of us still have our Sega Game Bricks! The screen sucks though, that's it's only flaw these days.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
We can already play all this stuff on our pc's
Pretty much like every console to date excluding PS3/360/3DS/PSV. Bringing older games gives people a legal way to play the games. Sure anyone can download the titles off of various sites, but that is still considered illegal in terms of copyright violations (I'm not anti-piracy, but this is still a valid point). If they're priced fairly ($5-10? max?), it could even be profitable and actually have a chance. The main problem so far with such titles is the following: a) Wrong pricing: who pays $10-20 for a game released 10-20 years ago and can be played at 100% on an emulator (and still it's being emulated on said system). b) Limited usages: Only able to play on one machine and if said machine breaks, tough luck. c) No advertising: 'Nuff said. How many of you people have heard of VC titles being advertised somewhere instead of "3DS SHOPS SHIETSAJFDOISAJF!"? d) Graphics are old: Sure it's nostalgic and at its finest at that, but.. Just compare it to reality and with games made specifically for the system. e) Mobile phones: they have tons of games from similar platforms at $1-2 and work just the same without the physical buttons.. f) Pricing: Did I already mention the pricing? Emulators already exist for everything pre-this-gen.

D

Deleted-236924

OP
That is some nasty shearing and some horrible resizing on the icon/banner there, Nintendo - you ought to fix that!

Other then that, GameGear and anything Sega is always welcome.

they are emulating the gamegear to it fully that why is looks like that

Seems pointless when some of us still have our Sega Game Bricks! The screen sucks though, that's it's only flaw these days.
Seems pointless to let many people buy and play GameGear games when some people have the original system.
Right?
(Key words are "many" and "some")

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/nUrYC-wHwzQ?si=CIF5SWwWIx4sXmqH