Gaming First game for 5 year old

Whipple

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Njrg said:
Edit: Personally I feel you should put a NES emulator, SNES, or GBC, or something.
I believe all gamers should be in touch with gaming's roots. I can't tell you how many gamers I don't respect because their oldest game they ever played was Halo. Playing with the recent Google logo was a reminder of just how good/fun the older games were.

That is a very good suggestion.

The older games had simpler graphics and game play mechanisms that is appropriate for a younger person just starting out. They give the youngster a good foundation in not only the basics of gaming but will instill in them an appreciations for how far games have come in a relatively short period of time.

I look at the DSi as a sort of magic box, something that would have been science fiction just a while back. You have two screens, two processors, two cameras, a D-pad, touch screen. fairly good quality stereo audio plus a respectful array of audio manipulation and picture modification software included for less than $200-. Be sure to show you little one how to play audio books on his new unit and provide them with the print editions (often available for free loan at the local public library in th US) and impress that it is a real tool to be used and respected.

darkranboria

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hell, when I was 5 I beat every level in SMW, got all DK coins in DKC2 and beat LoZ: aLttP. My mom always babysat our neighbors at their house and they had an N64. I beat every one of their games. They always played Mario Party and always wanted me on their team. Damn, I got some blisters from the thing where you spin the control stick, but it was worth it. I got all 120 stars on SM64 and beat Golden Eye. And I was still 5...
So... Moral of the story, buy it, they'll play it as long as it is awesome. And everything is awesome when you're 5.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe some of the old-school compilations would be good. Most of those old games had simple controls and almost zero reading, so a 5-year-old would probably like them or at least understand what to do to play them.

Retro Atari Classics
Namco Museum
Konami Arcade Classics

Not only are the games simple, but they have more than one game each, so the little guy can pick and choose his favorites. Once he gets familiar with those and his hand-eye coordination improves, you can graduate him to more complex games.

Salax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mellow.gif
Send them outside.

dengar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for the replies and the list of games. I knew I would get the typical "send the kids outside" and "5 years is too young" replies, but thats ok. You all are entitled to your opinion. My son has been using a PC since he was 2. He's now playing Torchlight (RPG) and he's actually pretty good at it. However he doesnt have anything portable, hence the DS. He will DEFINITELY be under direct supervision (also got him the Nerf case) when using it and he gets plenty of outdoor play so Im not worried there. Thanks again.

Potticus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If your going classics.

Find these series
Putt-Putt
Pajama Sam

and a few other kids series.
I loved them, both probably made me smarter than I would have been not playing them.

Am0s

Mojo Risin
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
if its for a boy then any racing games my kids 4 and 5 love their racing games, my son is gonna go ape shit when he find he has nfs nitro on his brand new ds haha he will be 6

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I was five, my first game was on the Gameboy pocket, and the next one was Pokemon Red. I would say your child is right in the area for becoming a poke nerd. The new Pokemon games have some reading, but they have buttons for tapping with the stylus. I think this is a great game to learn styli controls.

jenkitty

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
M kids like the backyardigans game, peppa pig, and crayola games and the i did it mum series of games are good for them. The are 5 ear old boy and 7 year old girl.

They also play pokemon, digimon world, and the lego games.

But any with favourite characaters works great with them.

BlackDave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no matter what, don't let the kid play The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time....

Spiders.....

dark woods

huge temple playing weird music
cry.gif

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
my three year old plays the ds as much as I. Here's a list of the popular titles with him:
Nick Jr. Titles (Backyardigans; Go, Diego Go!, etc.)
Electroplankton (easily addictive game with no point other than making sounds)
Lego games (Especially Batman--I have a 100% save that I throw invincibility on and he just explores)
Godzilla games (Actual Mileage may vary. My son likes Kaiju)
Nintendogs
Scribblenauts (total sandbox game he usually needs help with, as he's still learning his letters)
and some emulated older stuff occasionally.

Shinintendo

Trophies
Website
games4gamer.net
XP
Country
Iceland
Anynone know games for a 3 years old? just something basic that I can play with him...
He liked dora and I played with him the 3 dora games there are. more so he like big animals, dinosaurs and such.
he liked very much to kill monsters in dragon quest joker (told him to push A non stop) he even cried when a mob he wanted to survived died...was so funny.

Edit: omfg the post above me answered my question, nvm than >.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I recommend Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver

My first game was an RPG and I got introduced later to Pokemon Silver and Gold and they were incredible
smile.gif

Anyone growing up on a diet of pokemon is gonna turn out pretty smart
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/2VSGYf0.mp4