First emulator ever made?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by NoNAND, Feb 3, 2017.

1. NoNAND
    OP

NoNAND GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 22, 2015
    Ireland
    Pikachu City
    Hi ^^.
    I was playing snes9x on my o3ds and was wondering who invented emulation? When were the first emulator created. Did any emulator for any system exist back in the nes and snee days.
    I wonder did the emulator require high end pcs to run nes emulator
    Also can you tell me what did it feel like to have nes snes and gameboys at that time when technology was simple and easy.

2. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    I believe the first gaming emulator was on the Commodore 64 and called Shado from the 80's. It was a BBC emulator that converted BBC BASIC to language of the C64. Also see http://mdfs.net/Software/BBCBasic/C64/
    uties2.jpg

Last edited by RevPokemon, Feb 3, 2017
  3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I don't think emulation was really ever invented. In patents there is supposed to be a concept called obviousness which tends to be defined as something like an item is not patentable if it is obvious to an expert in the field. At the time if everybody was mainly coding in assembly coding (not that the likes of Basic made a whole lot of difference) it would be fairly obvious that most things had similar commands and a basic concept within logic gates is you can make any other gate (and thus do any operation) with NAND gates. To that end translating commands into your CPUs, and remaking the ones that do not exist would have been pretty obvious, and memory abstraction is also a basic concept.

Beyond this we have to consider what is an emulator, what is an interpreter (SCUMM and ZZT being two nice terms) and what is some kind of recompilation.

Anyway as I have not said much of consequence I will link a talk I like that is of some marginal relevance here

and another that is probably not that relevant to history but worth watching anyway
    http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1023470/-It-s-Just-Emulation

4. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Ok I'll handle this part of the question:

Games booted instantly, no load times, no DLC, no scratched discs, and you actually had to play multiplayer games face to face! The horror!

Never had a YLOD or RROD on my trusty day one N64!

Last edited by KiiWii, Feb 3, 2017
    THEELEMENTKH, NoNAND and LaPingas like this.
  5. NoNAND
    OP

NoNAND GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 22, 2015
    Ireland
    Pikachu City
    Haha that is cool. The only classic system i have is a gcn

6. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Classic lol.

I've had:

Xbox one / PS4 / Wii U > 360 / PS3 / Wii > Xbox / GC / PS2 > PS1 / Saturn / DC / N64 > SNES / Megadrive > NES / master system > GB / game gear > amstrad GX4000 > Commodore C64 > Amiga 500 > Atari.. Something or other..> BBC micro > Acorn... I forget...

Also had PSP 1000, DS, 3DS, 3DSXL and now a N3DSXL... And a recalbox.. ngage... I'm sure I've missed a few!

Last edited by KiiWii, Feb 3, 2017
  7. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    Earliest console I had was, god i dont know what it was but it had battle chess on it and the pieces used to come to life and attack each other when they were being taken, that was in the 80s, amiga is the first I remember, 2 buttons, no hassle. been gaming ever since

8. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    also there were no demos (you had to know if you wanted the game first . . . or waste 30 bucks)
    no demos meant that mags like gamepro were needed to insure you did not waste your cash on a bad game
    eventually due to the lack of demos some shops had game consoles connected to store t.v.'s so you can try the game
    no digital downloads at all (you had to go to the store to get a new game)
    everyone believed they were the shit [pro] at games like street fighter (they only had their local friends to compare to)

KiiWii likes this.
  9. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    what do you mean believed, I was the shit

hobbledehoy899 and wormdood like this.
  10. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Light gun games rocked too. New TVs can't handle it without adaptation.... I miss the SNES scope!

Good old CRT TVs for pixel prefect gaming.

wormdood likes this.
  11. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    you only say that cuz you never walked into an arcade i was in . . . lol

yusuo, VinLark and KiiWii like this.