cornaljoe

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just ordered all the tools required to fix my broken DSL (check sig). It came up to about 25USD with free shipping from DX. It's my first purchase from this site and I was wondering how long it took for most people to receive their order here in the US. I've heard like 3-4 weeks, which is kinda sad, but I'm in no hurry anyway since I have a DSi. I just miss my M3/EZV and used this as an excuse to finally fix it. Also I wanted to start developing again on DSBrowser and also other project ideas that have been floating around in my head for the last few months. Mostly for personal use but hopefully others will enjoy aswell. It seems DSBrowser may become more like DSOrganize if I do continue. I just will have to learn alot more than I currently know so far.

I've only researched a little on the repair and decided I should be able to do this. I'm probably going to use the guide here on GBATemp once the stuff arrives. It seems the only problem will be the ribbon that connects the LCD to the mainboard. Has anyone else purchased these items from DX to do this? If so, how did it turn out? Anything I should know that's not covered by the tutorial here?

Edit: Heh forgot to list the stuff I got. Click on each picture to goto the webpage for the item.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't think you need the soldering iron, or solder paste to fix it... the screen modules clip in. and:
1) I wouldn't touch a DS with a firestarter iron like that
2) you don't use paste for hand soldering.

cornaljoe

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I read that minor soldering is required to attach the speakers onto the new screen. I do have minor soldering experience. My boss kept an iron that was actually a cheaper version of the one I got at the workplace. I couldn't adjust the temperature on it, but was able to fix my EZIV slot-2 battery with no problems. I'm sure it will be safe to use on such a task. Also if I remember correctly the guide said I'll need paste.

cornaljoe

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well update, I finally received my package. I've successfully disassembled the DS and about to swap out the screens. It seems there is a problem. As UltraMagus stated I didnt need the paste but I needed soldering wire. I want to finish this ASAP to avoid losing pieces of the DS. Can I still use the paste to attach the speakers or maybe borrow some soldering wire from the original?

cornaljoe

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys. I tried to melt some of the original solder off the old screen but as I thought this didn't work. I'm going to head to a hardware store tomorrow and grab some solder wire. Hopefully nothing gets lost as it's in peices all over my room.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
cornaljoe said:
Thanks guys. I tried to melt some of the original solder off the old screen but as I thought this didn't work. I'm going to head to a hardware store tomorrow and grab some solder wire. Hopefully nothing gets lost as it's in peices all over my room.

you want the fine electrical stuff, whatever you do don't buy it from the plumbing section like one of my friends did
rolleyes.gif
its not the same stuff.

cornaljoe

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
UltraMagnus said:
cornaljoe said:

you want the fine electrical stuff, whatever you do don't buy it from the plumbing section like one of my friends did
rolleyes.gif
its not the same stuff.

Lol, too late, that's exactly what I did. I'm just now getting a hold of the good stuff, since the first one I got was too thick, and now I have another problem. It seems the soldering iron loves the wire so much it doesn't want to let go of it. I managed to solder all four wires on after alot of frustrating tries, but then they came off when I tried to put the screen back in the DS. I also managed to peel off some of the trace while trying to take off some solder. Will it still work? Only part of it peeled back, I was able to stop myself from taking it off. Is there some kind of technique to get the solder off the gun and on the spot you want it on? I don't remember it being so hard the last time I did this.
unsure.gif

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
cornaljoe said:
Is there some kind of technique to get the solder off the gun and on the spot you want it on? I don't remember it being so hard the last time I did this.
unsure.gif

you heat the item you are trying to solder, and apply the solder wire to that right next to where the soldering iron is. you could also try smothering what you are trying to get solder on in flux, messy, but it works. (damn soldering is hard to explain in text)

as for the rest of your question, it may work if the tracks have lifted, as long as the tracks have not broken. It would be a good idea to (gently) glue them back down using epoxy. if the tracks have broken you will need to scrape off any solder mask with a scalpel and use conductive silver paint/epoxy to reconnect the traces. not something for the inexperienced usually, but you may as well try, its not like you can break it any more
rolleyes.gif
. Its all good experience anyway.

cornaljoe

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
UltraMagnus said:
cornaljoe said:
Is there some kind of technique to get the solder off the gun and on the spot you want it on? I don't remember it being so hard the last time I did this.
unsure.gif

you heat the item you are trying to solder, and apply the solder wire to that right next to where the soldering iron is. you could also try smothering what you are trying to get solder on in flux, messy, but it works. (damn soldering is hard to explain in text)

as for the rest of your question, it may work if the tracks have lifted, as long as the tracks have not broken. It would be a good idea to (gently) glue them back down using epoxy. if the tracks have broken you will need to scrape off any solder mask with a scalpel and use conductive silver paint/epoxy to reconnect the traces. not something for the inexperienced usually, but you may as well try, its not like you can break it any more
rolleyes.gif
. Its all good experience anyway.

Thanks again for the advise, but it seems I broke the ribbon cable as most say to try and avoid. I actually finished and got the screen back together, but noticed that the screen was dirty under the protector. I reopened it cleaned the screen. The ribbon cracked as I was putting the cable through the hinge for the second time.

Well at least I know how to do it now. I'll probably order another one soon if no one replies to my WTB request on the trading forums. Also, while soldering the speakers I had to strip the wire several times and they have become rather short. When I attempt this again should I attach some new wires to the speakers? If so where should I get the replacement wire of the right size.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
cornaljoe said:
When I attempt this again should I attach some new wires to the speakers? If so where should I get the replacement wire of the right size.

if it is too short it may be a good idea. the wire size isn't all that important, as long as it fits it will be fine. I don't know where you can buy some as I live in a different country, but most people in the US mention a shop called "radioshack".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/BiY0vNuu1eg?si=0nwmSHWeLkfcJJ__