First attempt at airbrushing

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
All right, I've finally gotten around to using my Wacom tablet and now that I've figured it out, I love it. I took the lines from my existing Guy (from Tales of the Abyss) vector and dumped them into Photoshop where I began airbrushing. It's still a work in progress obviously, but I'm excited and wanted to show it off my first attempt at airbrushing.

Click the images below to go to the actual page.

Vector:

Airbrushing WIP:

Airbrushing Final:

laminaatplaat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Awsomeness I want to learn that sometimes, but tablets are expencive and understanding Photoshop or Illustraitor takes much time
frown.gif

Or do you maybe have a good tutorial :?

TaeK

Trophies
Website
d4nart.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Make your lineart the darker colour of the NEAREST colour, if you understand, since hard black lineart is best suited for cel-shaded art... not partically for soft coloured art.

benchma®k

Trophies
XP
Country
:'( I think gbatemp should do a competition to win a tablet next... I want one!!
laugh.gif

Really nice work jumpman, i love the subtleness of the shirt.. its great!! Can we see the finished article soon?

jumpman17

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Make your lineart the darker colour of the NEAREST colour, if you understand, since hard black lineart is best suited for cel-shaded art... not partically for soft coloured art.

Yeah, I don't like the black lines either but this is my first airbrushing and I didn't want to take too much on. So I just grabbed the lines I already had made so I could just try out airbrushing.

Nice work jumpman17, what wacom tablet do you use?

I prefer the vector because I do alot of vector work aswell.

~ Commander

Wacom Intuos 3 6x8: http://www.wacom.com/intuos/6x8.cfm

On a side note, one of the labs we have here has about 30 of these bad boys: http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/21UX.cfm

my wacom changed my life. best money i ever spent (aside from my DS). Glad to see your digging it as well. Are you gonna post more things soon?

I plan to do more after I finish this one, but my works usually process slowly unless it's homework that has a deadline.

QUOTE(benchma®k @ Jan 7 2008, 09:41 AM)
:'(Â I think gbatemp should do a competition to win a tablet next... I want one!!Â
laugh.gif

Really nice work jumpman, i love the subtleness of the shirt.. its great!! Can we see the finished article soon?

I have a little more of it done, but it's at a stand still right now because I need to fix my PC (been screwy all week) and I can't do that until this weekend.

vinnick

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
vinnick.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Canada
Just some suggestions:

- You can just lock the transparency of the lineart layer to change the black line to other colour.
- I think the shade should be a bit darker. ^^ It is kinda hard to tell where the shadow is for the skin.
- The hair shine looks kinda... funny. Airbrushing and cell-shading is quite different... ^^; I think for airbrushing, it looks better if you draw strands of hair instead of in blocks.

That's all.

happy.gif

jumpman17

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Finished. Finally. I'm so lazy. I updated my first post with the final image. Click it to go to the page for it and if you want, you can download a larger version with the download link on the left.

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.