Hacking Firmware Updating Cautions?

Bobby221

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I am currently on firmware version 8.1.0 and that's the version I was at before I got into CFW. I have SX OS Pro with the dongle and jig, along with 90DNS setup. However, pretty sure I messed up my NAND because I booted into SX OS before I backed up my NAND. So I never created an emuNAND and am just using it as is.

Now that the background is there, the main question I have - I tried to play a game but it said that I need to perform a system update before I'm able to play it. Is there a reason I SHOULDN'T upgrade? Especially since I'm at 8.1.0 right now anyways?

I'm weary of AutoRCM only because while many say there is, I cannot tell the difference between the switch being off and the "slightly brighter screen" that the RCM screen supposedly has, so I worry I'll mistake it for being off and it'll really be continuously on, whether plugged in or not. I'd Prefer not to use AutoRCM to not blow a fuse. But if blowing a fuse is seriously a huge deal and updating the firmware is definitely something I do NOT want to do, then I understand that also and will do AutoRCM.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

nifoc2099

Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Hello,

Now that the background is there, the main question I have - I tried to play a game but it said that I need to perform a system update before I'm able to play it. Is there a reason I SHOULDN'T upgrade? Especially since I'm at 8.1.0 right now anyways?

I will help you with these but not on AutoRCM & blown fuse. First off, you can always find customised games which works for ver 8+ if you do not wish to update. And before you update, do you have any homebrew apps which are important to you while not compatible with ver 9.0.1 yet? I myself still on 8.1.0 cause i m still waiting for Pplay to be compatible with ver9

Lastly, instead of switching off & worrying about RCM screen, why not put the console on sleep mode (if you use it daily)?

Bobby221

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No worries, I understand the reason of not helping with those two.

As for the homebrew, I don't use much homebrew honestly. Only a theme loader. Otherwise, I only use the switch really to play the games.

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Personally I don't see any reason not to upgrade.
8.1 doesn't have anything special that 9.0 doesn't.
And Atmosphere 0.8.4 has a feature to really shut down, even when AutoRCM is on.
I don't know if SXOS already borrowed that feature already.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @K3Nv2 is too dumb to assemble IKEA furniture :tpi: