Hacking Firmware Update Questions

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys. I have a hackable Switch that is currently on FW 9 something and I am wanting to update it to a later System FW so I can play newer games such as Mario 3D All-Stars. Last time I updated it with Choi, which was the first time I used that. After I did the update, I got a bit scared because the system wouldn't reboot right away and I thought I bricked it. Here are some questions before I proceed:

- How should I go about updating to later FW? Should I still use Choi?
- Which FW should I go with?
- I think I have Atmosphere/Kosmos installed, but not sure which version(s)

Any help appreciated :)

burhansalih

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

Restart your switch so you are in the standard Horizon (Nintendo's official firmware) and you can just go to system update from there.

I personally use the latest Atmosphere version 0.14.4.

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey,

Restart your switch so you are in the standard Horizon (Nintendo's official firmware) and you can just go to system update from there.

I personally use the latest Atmosphere version 0.14.4.

Um, my Switch is in Airplane mode and I have not connected to online since I have first hacked it, I only have SysNAND. How do I update Atmosphere and is there a guide for this? In another thread, I have heard of something called Daybreak? Should I use that? Further thoughts and help appreciated :)

burhansalih

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes daybreak is the new firmware update tool in Atmosphere that replaces Choi....in that case don't go online....download the latest Nintendo firmware file put it in a folder on your SD Card then when you run Daybreak it will ask for the firmware folder.

Reactions: KiiWii

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I would recommend you get the AIO switch tool. Then use daybreak for update with the firmware. But before you do that, use the same tool to download the latest Atmosphere and sigpatches.

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming you're using fusee-primary.bin as your payload because you're on Sysnad, you also will need sigpatches which can be found here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/sigpatches-for-atmosphere-fusee-primary-only.567542/

I have been using hekate_ctcaer_5.0.2 with TegrarcmGUI v 2.5

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I would recommend you get the AIO switch tool. Then use daybreak for update with the firmware. But before you do that, use the same tool to download the latest Atmosphere and sigpatches.

Thanks for the info! What is the AIO tool and how/where do I get it? Is there a recommended guide for all of this?

Update: I am confused guys... I posted same first questions in the switch noob thread, and someone there said I should update via normal means. I am still somewhat new to switch hacking. What is this AIO tool I read about in post above? Further and any help appreciated :)

Last edited by Skeet1983,

Maximax92

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have been using hekate_ctcaer_5.0.2 with TegrarcmGUI v 2.5

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks for the info! What is the AIO tool and how/where do I get it? Is there a recommended guide for all of this?

Hey there. I don't know about this AIO tool, what I can advise with your setup, is that after you update your firmware you should be making a copy of the folders you are going to change (mainly atmosphere, just in case you realise you have overwritten something you needed). Then I would delete the old atmosphere folder on your sd and start from the new one you just downloaded. You should also update hekate.

A few things to keep in mind:

-if you had additional sysmodules or cheat codes, make sure to copy them from your old folder (Also, in more recent atmosphere builds what was earlier in the folder "titles" is now in the folder "contents". So you would be copying those sysmodules or cheat codes from your old "titles" folder to the new "contents" folder).

-if you plan on chainloading Atmosphere from Hekate by using fusee-secondary you will have troubles running Tinfoil. For some it is not an issue as they use other loaders, but I prefer using Tinfoil and if you do too I would suggest editing your "hekate_ipl.ini" file in the "bootloader" folder on the root of your Sd card. Open the file with a text editor and change the section that, in your case, would be [CFW (sysnand) ]. Just replace what is under that section with the following:

payload=bootloader/payloads/fusee-primary.bin
icon=bootloader/res/icon_payload.bmp

Also make sure you delete the file "patches.ini" from the same bootloader folder if you have such file. With this changes you should not have any issues when booting Tinfoil.

-as you are using Hekate, I would advise to rename the Hekate Payload you will be using to "reboot_payload.bin" and replace it with the one in your new atmosphere folder. This way, if there is a crash or you reboot the console while being in CFW, it will boot Hekate instead.

-as some have already mentioned, you will need to download the Atmosphere patches you want from this forum. Make sure to pick the ones matching the version of Atmosphere you will be installing and copy them in your new Atmosphere folder.

I think these are the most important stuff. I have a similar setup and I think it works pretty well for those who are still using Hekate. If you check online guides to update Horizon, Atmosphere and Hekate you should find plenty. Of course more "seasoned" users on this forum will be more knowledgeable on the subject. But if you follow guides using your head and making backups of those folders you will be changing you should be fine!

Happy updating!

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks so much for the info and help! For using that AIO, don’t I need to connect online to download everything? My hacked Switch only has SysNAND and I have system in airplane mode ever since I started hacking it. Is it ok to connect online for that AIO app? Further help appreciated and thanks again [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Of course you need Internet access. That's the point of it :P To download everything for you.
Just use a DNS blocker like 90DNS if you wanna block Nintendo from snooping.

Or I use Atmosphere's SN blocker so I can't connect online either way :P

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course you need Internet access. That's the point of it :P To download everything for you.
Just use a DNS blocker like 90DNS if you wanna block Nintendo from snooping.

Or I use Atmosphere's SN blocker so I can't connect online either way :P

Thanks again for the help [emoji4]
I am not sure which Atmosphere/Kosmos I have installed and I think I am using hekate as payload? Am not sure how to proceed, am still somewhat new to this. Is there an order of steps you recommend I follow?

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Thanks again for the help [emoji4]
I am not sure which Atmosphere/Kosmos I have installed and I think I am using hekate as payload? Am not sure how to proceed, am still somewhat new to this. Is there an order of steps you recommend I follow?

I would recommend Deepsea if you are unsure. It's the spirutal predecessor to Kosmos. AtlasNX is no more.

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would recommend Deepsea if you are unsure. It's the spirutal predecessor to Kosmos. AtlasNX is no more.

Ok. Um is Atmosphere the same thing as Kosmos? What is Deepsea? I know I have Atmosphere, and I think it has Kosmos too. Is there a way to tell what exactly I have installed and version? Kinda confused about all this :P

Is there a recommended guide I can follow? I just don’t want to mess anything up

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ok. Um is Atmosphere the same thing as Kosmos? What is Deepsea? I know I have Atmosphere, and I think it has Kosmos too. Is there a way to tell what exactly I have installed and version? Kinda confused about all this :P

Is there a recommended guide I can follow? I just don’t want to mess anything up

Kosmos is All in One package using atmosphere. It's dead, don't use it.
Deepsea is the new AiO - still living. Dunno about how good it is.

Both are using Atmosphere as CFW base.

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks so much for the guide! Once I update Hekate and Atmosphere, what should I use as Payload? Should I still use "hekate_ctcaer_5.0.2"?

Also, how should I go about updating System FW? I thought my FW was at 9 something, it is actually at 8.0.1. Should I try Daybreak?
Do I also need Sigpatches? Which ones do I need and how do I know if I have fusee primary or secondary?

I read the guide you linked me to. My main concern is that if I update, I would be locked out of using game card slot since I am updating from below 9.0; is that correct?

Further thoughts and help greatly appreciated :)

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks so much for the guide! Once I update Hekate and Atmosphere, what should I use as Payload? Should I still use "hekate_ctcaer_5.0.2"?

Also, how should I go about updating System FW? I thought my FW was at 9 something, it is actually at 8.0.1. Should I try Daybreak?
Do I also need Sigpatches? Which ones do I need and how do I know if I have fusee primary or secondary?

I read the guide you linked me to. My main concern is that if I update, I would be locked out of using game card slot since I am updating from below 9.0; is that correct?

Further thoughts and help greatly appreciated :)
DayBreak is sufficient. You only need patches for installing and launching backups. Based on how you launch Atmosphere, you will know if you are using fusee-primary or not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0