NULL

Firmware Questions

Discussion in 'PS4 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Prior22, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Prior22
    OP

Prior22 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    A few quick questions about PS4 firmware. Is there a legitimate chance PS4's with firmware above 5.05 are never hacked? Should I be actively looking for a 5.05 console with the thought process that anything above could potentially be useless from a Jailbreak standpoint?

And I've heard all games produced after April 2018 cannot be played on a jailbroken PS4 due to their firmware. Is this a problem that is likely to be rectified sometime this year? I've read that the problem already has been solved, but the patch hasn't been released yet. Is this true?

2. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    it's not a jailbreak. it's an exploit. the ps4 is based on freebsd, and its flaws are well documented, so anyone is welcome to look into that.

3. TudorBlue

TudorBlue GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 29, 2007
    A 5.05 ps4 will be hard to find i reckon. People are hanging onto them including myself. Try the likes of ebay. Be expensive but good luck. As for a new JB, i have no idea, i just live in hope cos its costing me a fortune in games for my legit ps4

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

4. contezero

contezero GBAtemp Regular

Jul 25, 2016
    Italy
    The firmware up to 6.50 have a private full hack so, sooner or later, it will be released. It can happen in six month or two year but it will happen.

5.05 ps4 are not that expensive. In Europe they cost around 250 something euro and normal ps4 is sold for 50 euro less (second hand).

To play new games on older firmware you need the encryption keys and, if you have a non encrypted version of the game that means that keys are released so it's pointless to stay on old firmware if there is an hack available for a new one. You won't be able to play new games, even if they are original, on your non updated console.

I have a 5.05 ps4 and I play old games with it. If I want a new release I will buy it for Xbox one: a used Xbone could cost less than 100 euro.

Last edited by contezero, Jun 12, 2019
  5. Prior22
    OP

Prior22 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    Any particular reason the hack hasn’t been released yet? Curious as to what the motivation is.

6. adam1290

adam1290 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2015
    Facebook marketplace here in the UK has an abundance of 5.05 PS4s and they are just as cheap as a regular used PS4.

7. KiiWii

KiiWii Contributor

pip Contributor
    Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Being held on to for as long as possible to preserve its usefulness. Once its gone there may never be another hack to enable even higher games in future.

Owl Whiskey, peteruk and ItsmeAJ like this.
  8. npiet1

npiet1 Member

Newcomer
    May 21, 2019
    Australia
    But we are almost at the end of the generation. There can't be to much time left before they release right?

9. KiiWii

KiiWii Contributor

pip Contributor
    Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    PS4 released in 2013/14, but Sony have said “No new hardware until at least 2021”, but we don’t know when support for PS4 will end. PS3 came out in 2006/7 still receives updates in 2019 (Feb = 4.84).

npiet1 and contezero like this.