Firewall advice

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by GeekyGuy, Aug 2, 2009.

Aug 2, 2009

Firewall advice by GeekyGuy at 4:34 PM (1,072 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    I recently installed Online Armor in lieu of the Windows (XP) firewall, and ever since I often get mad slowdown when browsing the Web. Was wondering if anyone else has experienced similar issues with this firewall. I was thinking of checking out Outpost instead, but I'm not sure if that would be much better. The only other real-time protection I keep running is AntiVir, and I doubt that's causing my slowdown. [​IMG] Sites like IGN especially cause major issues. Never had these problems before, though.

2. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    just don't use it? windows firewall is good enough for most people, and if you want something better you should be using a hardware firewall.

3. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Windows firewall is pretty crap. It doesn't really stop outgoing protections.

You could just uninstall the firewall and see if the slowdown continues. If it stops, then get another firewall. Personally I use comodo (just the firewall part), it's free and I find it's pretty good.

4. GeekyGuy
    OP

United States
    Yeah, only problem with that is I wouldn't really feel safe surfing the Web without a firewall turned on. But I agree...it's my understanding that the Windows firewall has a lot of weak points. I guess I can just try Outpost instead to see the difference in performance.

5. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    I surf the web and download shit on my computer with No firewall or Anti virus programs... I don't care about my computer I hope it brakes so my Dad buys me a new one.

6. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    I use the firewall that comes with my anti-virus...that being ESET Business Edition.

Firewall....

well you could do without it, and use the windows firewall instead.

just make sure to update windows if your worried about security issues.

Use a safe web browser, Firefox.

7. Lodis

Member Lodis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I recommend Comodo firewall. Note that Windows 7 now includes a real firewall that actually has Outgoing protection so that's also something else to consider.

8. GeekyGuy
    OP

United States
    Thanks, guys.

So, the Comodo is a complete package, but I can just run the firewall element along with AntiVir?

9. Elritha

Canada
    Yes you can. When installing Comodo you have the option to choose 'firewall only' part.

10. Lodis

United States
    Be careful when you install Comodo because it also has some tough security Application Monitor functions. If you don't know what you are doing and you enable that, you can lock yourself out of your own system and only be able to fix that in Safe Mode.

11. Elritha

Canada
    Defense+, the application monitor function, isn't installed if you choose to only install the firewall portion of the application.

12. GeekyGuy
    OP

United States
    Yeah, I just installed the firewall, opted out of all the other stuff like the search bar and whatnot. There was an additional security feature it asked me about toward the end of the install, but since it was unchecked by default and I was unsure of its overall function, I didn't mess with it.

Seems to be running okay. It definitely isn't as invasive as Online Armor was, with constant pop-ups asking for clearance.

13. logical thinker

Member logical thinker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    What about the slowdown? Is it fixed?

Actually, even if you choose only the firewall, you still have to choose between 3 "levels" of Defense+.

14. Athlon-pv

Member Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Basicly it comes down to this , you use the wrong products (like everything MS) even if you have anti virus adware killers firewalls you still are at great risk.

What might be a better option to look if your router has builtin firewall [​IMG].

15. Elritha

Canada
    That used to be true up until some of the newer releases of Comodo. When you're installing it and choose the firewall part it will also deactivate defense +. If you choose to install comodo + antivirus, it will install the firewall, antivirus, and defense + part.

16. Lodis

United States

Most Routers do have a built in firewall and they work very well but they only offer inbound protection, not outbound. Since they use stateful packet inspection, anything that initiates outbound access and then follows up with inbound will be allowed through.