Firefox v29

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not for government work? Can you tell that to the various governments I have dealt with... until quite recently I considered it a good day if they knew what CSS was. On a bad day one absolutely had to have actual Adobe reader (to view a form you had to print out and hand in), absolutely had to have Java (for what amounted to a static website) and "what is mobile/printable?" was something I saw often enough.

Insurance companies can stay like that though, it tends to leave nice exposed APIs I can tickle with CURL to get some actual info from them.

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
click on "help/about firefox" it will start updating, like the mistake i did

now firefox looks like chrome, before you couldn't tell the diference bettween opera and firefox (except a button) now firefox adapted the chrome look...

i love creative GUI, and not rip offes from other programs :C

that happened to me :(

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Comparison shot Chrome vs Firefox 29:
4f37c77303.png

8af747c2e7.png

While they are similar, Chrome is a lot more angled while Firefox is more smooth. Also, non-active tabs are handled way differently, Firefox has a search bar and a disappearing forward button, and the menu is way different. Pretty much all modern browsers use basically the same UI with a slightly different look because it's small, unintrusive, intuitive and it works. Thoe only thing making this more Chrome-like than the older is the menu button that's in the same place and the same icon and the new rounded tabs.

Reactions: Satangel

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While they are similar, Chrome is a lot more angled while Firefox is more smooth. Also, non-active tabs are handled way differently, Firefox has a search bar and a disappearing forward button, and the menu is way different.

Heh, your colours in tempstyle dark are different the ones this page renders in for me (what you have as light grey I have as dark and vice versa). Are you using one of the greasemonkey/stylish scripts?
Edit. Might as well have a screengrab as well.
ff_screenshot.jpg

vassildador

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Not for government work? Can you tell that to the various governments I have dealt with... until quite recently I considered it a good day if they knew what CSS was. On a bad day one absolutely had to have actual Adobe reader (to view a form you had to print out and hand in), absolutely had to have Java (for what amounted to a static website) and "what is mobile/printable?" was something I saw often enough.

Insurance companies can stay like that though, it tends to leave nice exposed APIs I can tickle with CURL to get some actual info from them.
I feel your pain... the worst case I can remember was when a customer complained the background colour didn't look the same on his and his colleague's PC. He insisted that we had to fix it :rofl2:

Another nice example was developing a front-end for a web service that had incomplete schematics and was still partially in development. Our deadline was hit before they finished the damned thing.

Usually people with at least some clue are responsible on their side, though. Everything government-funded requires someone to blame and point fingers at if things go awry. You don't want to know how much of our tax money iswasted on horrible decisions, miscommunication and misunderstandings though :)

Anyway, let's try to get this thread back on track. My apologies for going way off-topic. We have PM's for this stuff :D

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ah background colours. My favourites are either a) where you show an in progress site to someone that is not a web designer and they complain about it (learned my lesson there now) and b) what was my fault -- I was making a restaurant site on my properly calibrated monitor which showed a nice brown (quite suitable for an Indian restaurant)..... it was a less appealing brown on the poorly calibrated monitor the client was viewing it on.

As for wasted tax money, I think most competent IT people would sooner stack shelves than do government IT in this country. Indeed I think NHS IT (NHS = national healthcare service) is a byword for such things.

Back on track though... is javascript any better this time around or have the javascript speed wars gone the way of the Megahertz wars?

Reactions: vassildador

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm running on nightly builds of Firefox (3 major versions ahead) and didn't like the UI at the start either. After a little bit of configuration I actually got used to it rather quickly and even prefer it over the old one.

ive been using firefox for two reasons. the add ons and because it didnt look or act like chrome.
and i gather i'm not the only one who used firefox for exactly those two reasons.

now they go and make it look and act like chrome.

of course one gets used to something new, we're all adaptable, but christ. I've been actively trying to avoid having to get used to this dumb browser design.

damn firefox idiots hoping to get the chrome users with that step, completely ignoring that browser choice is 99% blind ideology and 1% people moving away from a browser because the developers fuck it up with such a dick move.

vassildador

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
v7? more like v4.

3.6 was the last great one.
Yeeeaaaah..... No.
http://caniuse.com/#compare=firefox 3.6,firefox 29,firefox 32
Scroll down a bit :)

Security issues:
https://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox.html

As for the new GUI, it's not like that much has changed, they

1. fixed a huge amount of unused space by moving the "firefox" button to the same row as the other buttons
  2. replaced the "Firefox" text on said button with a smaller hamburger icon, commonly used for "menu" actions
  3. made tabs look aesthetically more pleasing
  4. added more customisation options for putting your icons wherever you want
These screenshots were the first ones I found of the "default" interfaces.
Firefox_Screenshot.PNG

FirefoxPortable.png

I'll stop annoying you guys for now.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
4f37c77303.png

8af747c2e7.png

While they are similar, Chrome is a lot more angled while Firefox is more smooth. Also, non-active tabs are handled way differently, Firefox has a search bar and a disappearing forward button, and the menu is way different. Pretty much all modern browsers use basically the same UI with a slightly different look because it's small, unintrusive, intuitive and it works. Thoe only thing making this more Chrome-like than the older is the menu button that's in the same place and the same icon and the new rounded tabs.

Whoa, Firefox sure looks a lot like Chrome now but on my PC it's still the classic theme.

I'd hate if I had to use this new Chrome-ish crap.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Whoa, Firefox sure looks a lot like Chrome now but on my PC it's still the classic theme.

I'd hate if I had to use this new Chrome-ish crap.
Eh. I personally think it's not really more similar to chrome than the old Firefox theme. As someone above you said, the menu button was moved (to the same place and design as Chrome, I'll give you that, but it only makes sense because this way there's more room for tabs), the menu was changed a lot (and is now not like Chrome at all), active tabs are more rounded (square tabs vs angled tabs vs rounded tabs - does it really matter), non-active tabs now just have an icon or text with a separator between them (unlike Chrome) and the addon bar is gone.
Tally:
  • menu button: +1 Chrome Point
  • actual menu: -1 Chrome Point
  • active tab: +1 (it's different from before, but also different from Chrome - I'd give it 0 myself but this is what people seem to be most pissed at)
  • non-active tabs: -1 Chrome Point
  • no addon bar: +1 Chrome Point
  • Different bookmark button and placement: -1 Chrome Point (it used to be a star in the same place as Chrome's).
Final Result: 0 Chrome Points aka no real net difference in how much it acts like Chrome.

Heh, your colours in tempstyle dark are different the ones this page renders in for me (what you have as light grey I have as dark and vice versa). Are you using one of the greasemonkey/stylish scripts?
Edit. Might as well have a screengrab as well.
View attachment 7709
Yeah, I use http://userstyles.org/styles/77518/gbatemp-v4-dark. Hell, I made it myself.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
You all need to become more adaptable. Things change, sometimes for the better, other times for the worse.
Overall the new design is fine, a few unnecessary changes however.

My only dislike is the position of the home button, used to it being slightly further to the right. Out of habit, I drag the cursor to the wrong spot. Nothing that I can't overcome however.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You all need to become more adaptable. Things change, sometimes for the better, other times for the worse.
Overall the new design is fine, a few unnecessary changes however.

My only dislike is the position of the home button, used to it being slightly further to the right. Out of habit, I drag the cursor to the wrong spot. Nothing that I can't overcome however.
Can't you just move it using the Customize thing?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why would you ever have a home button when new tab will happily display some 9 commonly used links?

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't even know my firefox got updated. I don't have any complaints, looks the same to me, with an extra button at the top right that I'll probably never use. I use the toolbar at the top left, and the home button at the top right, and that's the way it's been for a long time. BTW, I used iGoolge for years until google decided to shut it down :angry:

Capture 001.JPG

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
Why would you ever have a home button when new tab will happily display some 9 commonly used links?
I have 9 pinned sites(Easily extendable via the about:config) on the new tab page.

My most frequented sites are all 1 click via the bookmark toolbar and home button. 9 other sites that I occasionally visit are pinned on the new tab page. Convenience all the way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.