ROM Hack Fire Emblem Fates: ROM Hacking General Thread

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's a beta version of the randomizer for anyone who wants to try it out in its current form: http://www.mediafire.com/file/791u7bztf2q0cke/Fates-Randomizer_Beta.zip

I went ahead and included the source code as well. You'll need an update to date version of Java (Java 8+) in order to run it. Setting everything up is a little tricky due to all of the files involved - the readme includes instructions on how to do everything. As I mentioned previously, while the base randomizer works there's still a lot of bugs to work through at the moment. As far as I can tell, the transition from Birthright Chapter 6 -> Chapter 7 doesn't work properly (you get Sakura, Azura, Hana, and Subaki even after randomization), but the others should be fine unless I missed something. I included an option to swap cutscene models in the beta version, but it's highly unstable. You can use it if you want, but you're almost guaranteed to experience a crash at some point using that setting. However, every other option should work fine - I haven't had a lot of time to test skill/stat randomization, but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary using them.

Anyways, hopefully you can get some fun out of the randomizer. If you encounter any bugs or have feedback/suggestions, feel free to tell me. I'll go ahead and throw this in its own thread eventually, but I want to get all of the base features 100% functional before making any sort of full release.

P.S. I also included a modified version of FEAT in the download to help with compression/decompression. It should make the process significantly easier.

Last edited by thane98,

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Here's a beta version of the randomizer for anyone who wants to try it out in its current form: http://www.mediafire.com/file/791u7bztf2q0cke/Fates-Randomizer_Beta.zip

I went ahead and included the source code as well. You'll need an update to date version of Java (Java 8+) in order to run it. Setting everything up is a little tricky due to all of the files involved - the readme includes instructions on how to do everything. As I mentioned previously, while the base randomizer works there's still a lot of bugs to work through at the moment. As far as I can tell, the transition from Birthright Chapter 6 -> Chapter 7 doesn't work properly (you get Sakura, Azura, Hana, and Subaki even after randomization), but the others should be fine unless I missed something. I included an option to swap cutscene models in the beta version, but it's highly unstable. You can use it if you want, but you're almost guaranteed to experience a crash at some point using that setting. However, every other option should work fine - I haven't had a lot of time to test skill/stat randomization, but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary using them.

Anyways, hopefully you can get some fun out of the randomizer. If you encounter any bugs or have feedback/suggestions, feel free to tell me. I'll go ahead and throw this in its own thread eventually, but I want to get all of the base features 100% functional before making any sort of full release.

P.S. I also included a modified version of FEAT in the download to help with compression/decompression. It should make the process significantly easier.
Well, I'm guessing you didn't account for the Dynamic blocks (haven't looked at the source yet)?

In BR7, you don't get the normal characters, you get PID_A_HANA, not PID_HANA, PID_A_SUBAKI, you get the point.

These character blocks are in the HANDOVER files, you can see here that I check all 3 handover files to account for this.

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I'm guessing you didn't account for the Dynamic blocks (haven't looked at the source yet)?

In BR7, you don't get the normal characters, you get PID_A_HANA, not PID_HANA, PID_A_SUBAKI, you get the point.

These character blocks are in the HANDOVER files, you can see here that I check all 3 handover files to account for this.
I did forget about them until this morning. I didn't have the time to build in something for the handover files, but I put in a small workaround. I have something set up to repoint the PID_A_ version to the normal version of the switching character. So if Sakura switched with Hana it would repoint PID_A_HANA to PID_SAKURA. Now that I think about it though, I might not have set that up for scripts/dispos like I did for person files. The only issue is that Sakura and Azura don't have entries in A_HANDOVER, so there's likely something else contributing to the issue.

Dylos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@thane98 I just randomized and am about to start messing around with it, but I noticed something interesting in the output.txt file. Could you please add an option to not allow characters to randomize into DLC classes since a DLC class cannot be passed onto a child and does not alter the character's number of classes.

I also noticed a character was randomized into the Songstress class, which has no model/sprite unless the character is Azura - the class is somewhat important so I can see why someone may randomize into it, though with all the effort you are going through to make the characters fit into their new placement in the story line you might want to make the randomizer alter the class data to make it where Songstress has a model/sprite.

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@thane98 I just randomized and am about to start messing around with it, but I noticed something interesting in the output.txt file. Could you please add an option to not allow characters to randomize into DLC classes since a DLC class cannot be passed onto a child and does not alter the character's number of classes.

I also noticed a character was randomized into the Songstress class, which has no model/sprite unless the character is Azura - the class is somewhat important so I can see why someone may randomize into it, though with all the effort you are going through to make the characters fit into their new placement in the story line you might want to make the randomizer alter the class data to make it where Songstress has a model/sprite.

I forgot about that aspect of the DLC classes. I'm planning on adding in more options like that at some point, so I'll go ahead and add something for DLC classes. As for the Songstress class, I'll probably just add an option for that as well.

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I forgot about that aspect of the DLC classes. I'm planning on adding in more options like that at some point, so I'll go ahead and add something for DLC classes. As for the Songstress class, I'll probably just add an option for that as well.
Just do what I did and copy over Azura's map sprites as the normal default class sprite.

As for the characters, you should also check the script on chapter 6, I recall the cmb files remove everyone from your team, and you get them back on chapter 6, even if it's BR and it looks like it's a smooth transition, there is still some background stuff like you losing all units and getting them back on BR6.

I'd also suggest editing the HANDOVER blocks themselves since they contain a different set of stats, so using the normal block and not the handover may cause some issues.

Dylos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh boy, you weren't kidding about the crashing.

Crashed at the start of chapter 1, had to play-through without ntr that chapter.
Crashed when trying to load Jakob's replacement on chapter 2, had to run without ntr.
Chapter 3 Jakob's replacement didn't load, was still able to complete the chapter.
Chapter 4 worked fine, except there were 2 Sakuras as she replaced Rinkah and her replacement didn't load as NPC.
Chapter 5 had a few issues. Firstly the opening scene hung after Ryouma entered and I had to skip the scene, then it worked fine until after Yato showed up, then it crashed.

Also I just wanted to add this, Orochi loaded as a Songstress and she had Azura's clothes in the cutscenes, haven't seen her in battle yet though. Also, it's funny as hell seeing different characters treat me so differently then normal.

Last edited by Dylos,

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh boy, you weren't kidding about the crashing.

Crashed at the start of chapter 1, had to play-through without ntr that chapter.
Crashed when trying to load Jakob's replacement on chapter 2, had to run without ntr.
Chapter 3 Jakob's replacement didn't load, was still able to complete the chapter.
Chapter 4 worked fine, except there were 2 Sakuras as she replaced Rinkah and her replacement didn't load as NPC.
Chapter 5 had a few issues. Firstly the opening scene hung after Ryouma entered and I had to skip the scene, then it worked fine until after Yato showed up, then it crashed.

Also I just wanted to add this, Orochi loaded as a Songstress and she had Azura's clothes in the cutscenes, haven't seen her in battle yet though. Also, it's funny as hell seeing different characters treat me so differently then normal.
So Jakob's replacement didn't work at all for you? That's odd, model swapping's obviously unstable at the moment, but there shouldn't be issues like that with swapping out map spawns.

Which path did you randomize? To be honest, I haven't tested Revelation at all yet, so it's probably got some issues that I haven't seen yet.

Dylos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So Jakob's replacement didn't work at all for you? That's odd, model swapping's obviously unstable at the moment, but there shouldn't be issues like that with swapping out map spawns.

Which path did you randomize? To be honest, I haven't tested Revelation at all yet, so it's probably got some issues that I haven't seen yet.
Revelation, though I haven't gotten to the path selection yet.

And yes Jakob's replacement didn't seem to exist, though you could chalk up him missing in chapter 3 as the game thinking he died in chapter 2 since I had to run chapter 2 unmodified.

Also, Gunter wasn't replaced/modified.

Edit: I just loaded chapter 5 without ntr and Rinkah/Kaze weren't on the map, I think this confirms that Jakob's replacement in chapter 3 didn't spawn due to not already being in the team from chapter 2.

Last edited by Dylos,

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Revelation, though I haven't gotten to the path selection yet.

And yes Jakob's replacement didn't seem to exist, though you could chalk up him missing in chapter 3 as the game thinking he died in chapter 2 since I had to run chapter 2 unmodified.

Also, Gunter wasn't replaced/modified.

Edit: I just loaded chapter 5 without ntr and Rinkah/Kaze weren't on the map, I think this confirms that Jakob's replacement in chapter 3 didn't spawn due to not already being in the team from chapter 2.
Alright, I'll go ahead and run some tests with Revelation today to see what's going on. Did you have any similar issues without model swapping? If you want to continue on your current play through without the buggy model swaps, you could just delete the Bev folder in your NTR patch.

Dylos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I'll go ahead and run some tests with Revelation today to see what's going on. Did you have any similar issues without model swapping? If you want to continue on your current play through without the buggy model swaps, you could just delete the Bev folder in your NTR patch.
I'm going to have to do that or reroll the randomization it seems as I can't beat chapter 5 as it stands without NTR and I cannot progress through the chapter with it.

After I delete the Bev folder in a second here, I'll let you know what happens on chapter 2 without the model swapping.

Edit: I can confirm chapter 2 still crashes without the Bev folder.
Edit2: At least chapter 5 no longer crashes.
Edit3: Just wanted to mention that some characters have their internal levels messed up a bit. Benny replaced Jakob in my randomization and his internal level was set to 20 so he was gaining practically no xp. Also Camila replaced Sakura and she was a level 1 unprompted unit with an internal level of 15 so she wasn't gaining xp either.

Last edited by Dylos,

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit: I can confirm chapter 2 still crashes without the Bev folder.
Edit2: At least chapter 5 no longer crashes.
Edit3: Just wanted to mention that some characters have their internal levels messed up a bit. Benny replaced Jakob in my randomization and his internal level was set to 20 so he was gaining practically no xp. Also Camila replaced Sakura and she was a level 1 unprompted unit with an internal level of 15 so she wasn't gaining xp either.

I put in a couple safety nets to try and minimize crashes, and it looks like it fixed the issues with chapter 2. Here's chapter 2 on a Revelation save: link

I actually didn't touch internal levels at all, so something's off. I'm actually not familiar with how the internal levels work in Fates though - would simply swapping internal levels between characters fix the issue? Or is the internal level class dependent?

Dylos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I put in a couple safety nets to try and minimize crashes, and it looks like it fixed the issues with chapter 2. Here's chapter 2 on a Revelation save: link

I actually didn't touch internal levels at all, so something's off. I'm actually not familiar with how the internal levels work in Fates though - would simply swapping internal levels between characters fix the issue? Or is the internal level class dependent?
Internal levels are usually only set for prepromotes, a character with an internal level has that level added to their class level to determine the xp they earn from combat. Felicia and Jakob normally don't have an internal level despite being prepromotes, thus allowing them to gain xp regularly other characters have internal levels that are higher depending on when they are recruited. Swapping internal levels should resolve the issue.

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Internal levels are usually only set for prepromotes, a character with an internal level has that level added to their class level to determine the xp they earn from combat. Felicia and Jakob normally don't have an internal level despite being prepromotes, thus allowing them to gain xp regularly other characters have internal levels that are higher depending on when they are recruited. Swapping internal levels should resolve the issue.
In that case the issue should be a pretty quick fix. I might go ahead and post an updated version of the randomizer here if I can get fixes in for Birthright chapter 6, internal levels, and some of the missing alternate IDs like Xander in Chapter 1. Then again, if all of that gets fixed the only other issues to work through are model swapping and handover files. Depending on how stable I can get it, I might just move it into its own thread soon since I don't really want to hijack this one.

Edit: Well, looks like I found the source of most of the issues with model swapping! There's still some issues with certain models not loading, but every other issue with model swapping has gone away.

Last edited by thane98,

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
The way internal levels work is as follows.

Normal unpromoted units (Hinata, Oboro, Sakura, Hinoka, etc), and late joining promoted units (Xander, Ryoma, Fuga, etc) all have an internal level of -1, this means that the game will simply calculate their current internal level according to their effective level, so for example, Hinata joining at lv10 would give him an internal lv of 10, while Xander joining as a lv4 Paladin would give him an internal level of 20/4.

Both Jakob and Felicia have an internal level of 0, this allows them to gain exp normally while being prepromotes.

Some other prepromotes have their internal level hand tuned, for example, Camilla has an internal lv of 15, while Leo's is 18.

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After some work, I managed to get everything into a more stable state. DLC classes have been moved into a separate option, handover characters should be handled to some extent, and model swapping is relatively stable now! Now that the randomizer is in a better state, I went ahead and made a separate thread for it. If you're interested in checking out the new version, you can pick it up here.

Dylos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is text edit possible ? (I want to translate this game into my language)
It's not only possible, it's actually not that difficult (well the files are not difficult to edit) you only need to edit files in the m folder. Note however that some of these files have japanese names and the names cannot be changed for them to function properly .

Reactions: ngtunganh

ngtunganh

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
It's not only possible, it's actually not that difficult (well the files are not difficult to edit) you only need to edit files in the m folder. Note however that some of these files have japanese names and the names cannot be changed for them to function properly .
nice tks!

A FE Fates guy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to restore the face-rubbing gimmick? I'm probably odd for asking, but why not? It isn't like I am getting a Japanese 3DS and Japanese Copy of Fates anytime soon. Lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: