Finishing Yifan's SpiderNinja

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Slushie3DS, May 25, 2015.

1. Slushie3DS
    OP

Slushie3DS Cold Beverage Lover

Jan 9, 2015
    United States
    I figured I'd create a thread in hope that the various developers that trek the forums would see and not know of his project. Yifan set out to bring The Homebrew Launcher to the browser for those that do not own copies of Cubic Ninja. He completed most of the issues, but abandoned the project quite some time ago. If I remember correct, he said it was because he saw a lack of desire for it in the community. I looked at what was needed, and it is far beyond my understanding. For those of you that may understand, and would like to help the community a ton, you can find the repository here.

It can be accomplished through teamwork!

Margen67, Idaho, I pwned U! and 4 others like this.
  2. WhoAmI?

WhoAmI? PASTA's dirty animal

Mar 15, 2015
    Poké Ball
    I'm interested in this as well. I don't have the knowledge to help out but I'm definitely interested.

Margen67 likes this.
  3. Slushie3DS
    OP

Slushie3DS Cold Beverage Lover

Jan 9, 2015
    United States
    It'd be nice if people tagged known developers.

4. Vappy

Vappy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 23, 2012
    It can be accomplished through an anonymous pastebin telling you what to do :tpi:

But seriously, I hope someone picks this up. Cubic Ninja is only going to get rarer and harder to obtain

Margen67 likes this.
  5. WhoAmI?

Mar 15, 2015
    Poké Ball
    Margen67 likes this.
  6. Dartz150

Dartz150 GBATemp Official Lolicon Onii-chan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    Margen67 and WhoAmI? like this.
  7. WhoAmI?

Mar 15, 2015
    Poké Ball
    How the heck did I forget about Myria!? The lady who make Libhax! God I'm such an ass >_<

8. Suiginou

Suiginou (null)

Jun 26, 2012
    Gambia, The
    pc + 8
    It's not happening, m8. It hasn't happened for months and it's been brought up often enough for the relevant people to know.

Gotta support that defunct Cubic Ninja studio!

EDIT: New idea, though: Why not abuse the bootstrap stuff? Someone made it spider-usable in https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-spoof-firmware-to-access-eshop-and-more-on-new-3ds.386591/. That way, you could just launch a new KProcess, kill spider from within kernel and declare the new process the running process. There'll be a slight problem that the hb pseudo-service isn't running, but I have my doubts that most apps really need it in the first place.

Margen67 and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  9. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    You mean the one that doesn't exist anymore? XD At least Ubisoft gets money still, I guess...

10. duke_srg

duke_srg GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 1, 2011
    Serbia, Republic of
    Moscow
    I'm only gathered smea, Yifan lu and GW launcher data and know nothing note than is available to public :( Even Korean/Chinese/Taiwan versions of spider3DSTools fork is suspended because of no use without addresses of gadgets like file write, which I just can't get.

11. yifan_lu

yifan_lu @yifanlu

Apr 28, 2007
    United States
    That someone is me btw. and on the subject of unfinished projects, I also have this unfinished project https://github.com/yifanlu/service-patch which is the start of what you're proposing

Idaho, Margen67, lPolarisl and 5 others like this.
  12. Suiginou

Suiginou (null)

Jun 26, 2012
    Gambia, The
    pc + 8
    First, allow me to thank you for your work with fwspoof.

In my experience, you can't apparently safely write to anything in usermode from within kernelmode without a fixed address (which obviously changes because of memory mapping). Plus kernel mode from spider seems to be very picky sometimes and nobody knows why.

You can get those, actually. Get the NCCH and cetk for those regions from the CDN, get the decrypted titlekey (via Decrypt9), decrypt the NCCH with the titlekey (AES-CBC, dunno what the AES key is, though; I think it's related to something in the TMD). Load up the exefs for both in a hex editor, jump to IFile_* in a spider version you do have the correct offsets to, take eight bytes, and look for those eight bytes in the exefs for the region you don't know the IFile_* function address to. Prerequisite: Having an idea how the exefs address relates to the address in RAM, but that's likely just a static offset.

Oishikatta likes this.
  13. duke_srg

duke_srg GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 1, 2011
    Serbia, Republic of
    Moscow
    Suiginou I'm affraid that will took time and in the middle of the procces my 3DS will be installed where the sun never shines by my wife :)

14. TheGrayShow1467

TheGrayShow1467 屈折

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    you forgot the man I want inside me...

smealum

lPolarisl and WhoAmI? like this.
  15. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    He's most likely not going to, especially with the ability to run pasta from Ninjhax now

Margen67 and WhoAmI? like this.
  16. WhoAmI?

Mar 15, 2015
    Poké Ball

I think his too busy to be honest. I could be wrong though :P

Margen67 likes this.
  17. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States

Cubic ninja carts have long since been out of production, and most (all?) retailers simply buy the product outright as far as video games are concerned, and eat the cost at the store level if it doesn't sell. I know this is a little off topic, but figured it'd be worth mentioning. Source - I worked retail for 12 years.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  18. Idaho

Idaho GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 3, 2013
    France
    Especially since Pasta is out, finishing SpiderNinja would be amazing and groundbreaking, I bought Cubic Ninja but I know a lot of guys with not as much money as I have who'd appreciate such a thing to be available :)

19. Intronaut

Intronaut An star maker

Nov 18, 2014
    Cote d'Ivoire
    So it will not be possible?

20. Suiginou

Suiginou (null)

Jun 26, 2012
    Gambia, The
    pc + 8
    Everything's in the realm of possibility. It's just that nobody who has the ability is also willing and that nobody who is willing has the ability.

Margen67 and Zidapi like this.