Finished downgrading...

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by sinx4lyfe, Jan 14, 2015.

1. sinx4lyfe
    OP

sinx4lyfe Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    So i just finished downgrading the 3ds to 4.2 and i update my emunand to the latest, now im wondering i didn't think this through? How do i play my retail cart games with the save file? are they deleted? i backed up the sd card on my computer but idk if that did anything.

2. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Classic mode. Hold L while launching the DS profile exploit.

3. NicEXE

NicEXE GBAtemp Fan

Dec 6, 2009
    Cyprus
    Boot into Classic mode (hold L while GW tries to load using whatever exploit or simply remove the GW cartridge before trying to launch GW menu using whatever exploit)

4. sinx4lyfe
    OP

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Did that... says my save file is corrupted for games like pokemon and profess layton vs phoenix wright?

5. tintin.92

tintin.92 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2014
    United States
    According to this guide, that's because of the save encryption. Basically the 6.x+ saves on retail carts aren't accessible on 4.5 sysnand, irrespective of your emunand version. You've got to upgrade sysnand to something within 9.2 (probably by restoring your backed up nand), and use the browser based exploit.

6. serenade.63

serenade.63 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 17, 2011
    United States
    Yeah, if you don't have a second 3DS on 6.x or up and you have games that use the 6.x encryption you're only option now is to play them on gateway, else you can't hold a save on the retail card. Or you could always just update back to a higher sysnand using a retail card that has an update built in, I think oras or smash bros will update you to like 7.2 or something like that which would work just fine.

7. tintin.92

tintin.92 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2014
    United States
    Even then, for Pokemon, you'd need Powersaves to dump the save...

8. Dont Worry About it

Dont Worry About it GBAtemp Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Get a second SD card, andformat emunand on it. Then use the emunand tool (a windows application on this site) to inject your nand backup onto that SD card. Then load your saves on there, and use savedatafiler to backup your saves
    Move the files from that SD card that savedatafiler makes to your original SD card, and import them again with savedatafiler

Ra1d likes this.
  9. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    Your supposed to use savedatafiler to decrypt your save before you downgrade

I forgot to do it too so I can't play my animal crossing, smash, or Pokemon X. I'll do it later on another 3ds. Not in a rush to play any of those three games

10. sonic2756

sonic2756 Friendly Neighborhood Wolf

Feb 3, 2010
    United States
    Denver, CO
    You can always restore your 9.2 sysNAND backup and keep using the web exploit.

11. Thomas12345

Thomas12345 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 1, 2014
    Canada
    Savedatafiler won't work for him. He has retail Pokemon cart...

You cannot run savedatafiler in sysnand (the 3DS will tell you to re-download it from eshop)
    You cannot run savedatafiler in classic mode
    You CAN run savedatafiler in Gateway mode, but in that mode you cannot use the Pokemon cart

so there's not much you can do. Believe me, I'm in the exact same situation

BUT if you have a powersave, i believe it is possible to use it to decrypt the save

12. sinx4lyfe
    OP

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Have my emunand already updated to 9.4 so i've done that part and i guess im out of luck as Thomas said... everything seems to confusing right now i guess have to start over sucks.

13. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Gateway always told they are working on updating save features.
    Maybe they will include a save decrypter, or converter, etc.

keep your savedata on your cartridge.
    Don't delete it (or back it up first! I think gateway can backup/restore savegame in the cartridge, even if it's not the same encryption key).

14. .44 Magnum

.44 Magnum GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2010
    United States
    I'm having an issue with my Super Mario 3D Land save. I backed it up from my retail cart using Gateway, renamed it to the title ID, and changed the ROM file extension from 3ds to 3dz. But, when I try to load it I get the error that my save data is corrupt and a new save file will be created. Any ideas on why I keep getting this error?

15. Riff89

Riff89 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2015
    United States
    I think the downgrade process messes up the ability to use backup game saves. If you've ever downgraded, that may be why.

16. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    no, thats only for games from 6.x+, the issue he is having is that gateway will also only accept 512kb saves, and most card1 games use 128kb, for those games, there is currently no way to copy your save over to use on gateway

guide to taking your retail saves over to gateway, check if game uses FW version 6.x+ on http://3ds.essh.co if it does give up for now (unless it was played on a 4.x console in emunand)

if it was bundled with 5.x or lower(or played on a 4.x system in emunand), dump the save, check its file size, if its 128kb.....give up(for now)
    if its 512kb dump your cart, rename it to ***.3dz, and rename the dumped save to (games titleID).sav (also available on essh)

.44 Magnum likes this.
  17. .44 Magnum

Jun 25, 2010
    United States

Just checked and both Ocarina of Time 3D and Super Mario 3D Land saves are indeed 128kb. Oh well, looks like I'll just play the actual carts in classic mode. Thanks for the info!

gamesquest1 likes this.
  18. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    .....actually, im wondering if it would be possible if you set up the "cfw" and use savedatafiler to extract the saves, then you can inject them into a eshop version or a gateway save via a roundabout method........not sure if it will work, but might be worth a shot i suppose

.....but be warned the cfw is a bit of a pain in the arse to set up

.44 Magnum likes this.
  19. .44 Magnum

Jun 25, 2010
    United States

It's worth a shot, I'll have to give it a try. Thank you!