Finding a 5.03 PSP 3000

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by sgodd23, Jan 23, 2010.

Jan 23, 2010

Finding a 5.03 PSP 3000 by sgodd23 at 9:45 PM (3,338 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. sgodd23
    OP

Newcomer sgodd23 Member

United States
    After doing a little research, I've decided to go with the PSP instead of a DS for handheld gaming. I want to get a PSP 3000, and from the little that I've read on the subject, it needs to have firmware of 5.03 or below to be able to load CFW on the devide. So my question is, how likely would it be for me to find a 5.03 PSP at a Best Buy or Walmart brand new? I don't know how new 5.03 is, so I don't know the likeliness of finding a new on in a store somewhere.

Also, from what I understand, you can't play games online with CFW. What if you are playing a legit UMD of the game? Does online still not work? And do I have access to the PS Store?

Thanks in advance. This forum has been very helpful in learning about CFW of PSP.

2. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    Don't know how likely finding a 5.03 3000 is, but are you aware that a 3000's motherboard can't be fully hacked? If you partially hack a 3000 with ChickHEN then whenever you turn it off you'll have to re-hack it.

3. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Best bet is to find a pre-owned 2k/1k for a fully hackable PSP..

As with online play, no you can't play ISO or UMD's online on CFW, you can only access PSN is if you don't sign on, but you need to for online play/downloads.
    Though with GEN D3 (im not sure with GEN C) you can download off Media Go (software for Windows by Sony)

4. manobon

Member manobon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=191043&st=0

Details of OFW on PSP 3000 bundles (read the WHole thread though, as there have been some surprises).

No online as of yet for games, except in limited cases while using PSNabler. I haven't used Media Go with my PSP 3000 (CFW 5.03 GEN-B), so I don't know if that works right now (I use my PSP Go for that).

Also, you can always use ebay and ask the seller to check which firmware their system has (New or otherwise).

5. Okami Wolfen

Member Okami Wolfen GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I got my PSP 3000 on Ebay, and it had firmware 4.2 or somethin'.

It was a silver one, prolly from the Daxter pak.

6. manobon

Member manobon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Just used by CFW 5.03 GEN-B PSP 3000 to download a really shitty demo (Prometheus? It's like Super Metroid except Terrible with really "slippery" landings after jumps, and flash-game graphics).

Downloaded through Media Go, in case anyone was confused.

7. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Wrong, you can use PSNabler to play some games online. Unfortunately, a patchset has to be made seperately for each game so only a few are supported at this time.

8. omarroms

Member omarroms GBAtemp Regular

United States
    when i got my psp 3000, i have to go to several stores to find one with 5.03 or below. when you go to a store, look at the back of the psp box for the manufacture date and find one that has a date close to 2/1/09-5/1/09 those are most likely to have a low firmware version. walmart and bestbuy usually have the newer version. i got mine from target.
    before i found one, i bought one at walmart turn it on and had a very new firmware so i return it then went to bestbuy, bought one, same thing but the firmware version was lower but still a no go. then i went to target but this time i check for the manufacture date and they had some close to the date i mention and it had firmware 5.03. i bought two since they had several with those manufacture date and my sister wanted one. both were below 5.03.

9. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    PSNabler is never going to be updated, the man who made it said so himself.
    Plus, its very buggy, even with the final release.

10. sword414

Member sword414 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I bought my PSP 3000 a few days before Christmas (2009) from Best Buy and it came as 5.02 OFW.
    Since there hasnt been a new OFW since November I guess its safe to assume that all currently selling ones are still 5.02 OFW.

11. Densetsu

Former Staff Densetsu Pubic Ninja

United States
    No, I bought one yesterday and it had 6.10 OFW.

12. dirty_harry

Member dirty_harry GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Buying a new 3000 with firmware lower than 5.03 is a pipe dream.

13. sword414

Member sword414 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Really?!
    Guess i got lucky then.

14. Dallasnc

Newcomer Dallasnc Newbie

United States
    I got very luck when it comes to a 3000 with 5.03. I had bought a refurbished psp 2000 from game stop and brought it back because it was in very very bad condition. The guy said we don't have anymore 2000's they had a 3000 someone had just brought it before I came in and they gave it to me since they did not have any 2000's. Took it home put Chikhen on it and installed 5.03 Gen-c [​IMG]

15. luke_c

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    Some being 2/3 games

16. Kreatur84

Member Kreatur84 GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    buy a used psp slim,dc under 8c and youve got no problems

17. chaostrik3r

Newcomer chaostrik3r Newbie

United States
    What i did was go on ebay and ask all the sellers what firmware the psp has. Last time i got about 10 response and 8/10 of them were

18. megawalk

Member megawalk The Legendary SRW Addict

Netherlands
    i agree with the 2k models.
    i got a 2k. i am about to use chickhen and the CFW 5.03 loader to finish it.
    i only need to wait for my 1 gig stick. it's apparently one of the best options to use chickHEN [​IMG]