jaxxster

The Heretic
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Finally after months of dicking about with sky, we finally got connected to thier max package yday (£10 a month) Currently connected at 15.5meg! Was downloading rockband pal (save myself £50 friday so i can just buy the instruments) Was downloading at an average 1.5mb/s so it only took 1hr and 20mins for a 7.5gig download which beats the usual 4 hours! Woop!

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Congratulations, must be very nice! I guess you were at about 5 or 6mb/s before?

My current internet sucks, they dropped from 60GB bandwidth to 15GB and increased the price...
I can't wait until the end of June when I will be able to switch to Be/O2 broadband.

P.S. Does anyone have experience with Be/O2? (Sorry to jack your thread)

jaxxster

The Heretic
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
no worries man, yeh was on 7.6meg...bebroadband is meant to be solid but i dont think its cable i think its llu/adsl2+ so its gunna all depend on your distance from the exchange. If you need more info about them check www.thinkbroadband.com and look about in the forums.

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah I'm using ADSL (Max) at the moment I'm on 7mbit line but yeah my ISP is really crap.

ADSL2+ should be pretty nice, and thanks for the link, people like O2 Broadband's customer support better than Be's but say it's slightly less reliable.

P.S. Turdmonkeys, I've used 13.285 out of 15GB this month, will have to pay extra per Gig after that
hate2.gif
mad.gif

rustyshackleford

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
15.5 meg for 10 pounds?
Here in the states I'm getting 3 meg for 27 bucks which is 13.8 pounds, and that's considered cheaper than other providers..
I wish mines was as fast.

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think it's for if you do a package? subscribe for Sky TV.

Anyway, jaxxster, do you know if Downstream Attenuation and SNR Margin is local or remote?

jaxxster

The Heretic
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
yeh true, i think its a special price for being a sky tv customer but then again it dont mean its a con, skys a huge satalite tv provider here.

Urm, no idea, what router are u using? It should just say downstream attenuation and noise .... If your downstream attenuation is below 30db you should be good for 14meg+

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
hah, virgin media are the worse, i have 4mb and if i download over 4gb i get my speed reduced to 1mb, they are upgrading me from 4mb to 10mb but it will make no difference virgin media will still traffic shape and give ridiculous slow speeds.

jaxxster

The Heretic
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
plus since losing sky one n stuff it kinda sucks (no offence...i love thier on demand service) AOL traffic shaped me, between 6-10:30pm i only got 60kb/s download. We used AOL for 8 years and they still fked us in the arse.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
Oh man, our prices in Canada blow, plus we're so far behind when it comes to internet. I pay $49.99 per month for a 10Mbit connection, 1Mbit upload, and they've now put a 95GB cap on our monthly downloads and will charge for each GB gone over... which sucks, because I rent Hi-Def movies over Xbox, do a lot of large file transfers, and easily reach 95GB per month.

santorix10

Trophies
Website
rememberthe8bit.googlepages.com
XP
Country
United States
jaxxster said:
Finally after months of dicking about with sky, we finally got connected to thier max package yday (£10 a month) Currently connected at 15.5meg! Was downloading rockband pal (save myself £50 friday so i can just buy the instruments) Was downloading at an average 1.5mb/s so it only took 1hr and 20mins for a 7.5gig download which beats the usual 4 hours! Woop!

Damn you Europeans and your cheap-as-dirt telecoms companies! Yeah, in the U.S. we're always getting screwed mobile phone and internet connection wise. (Well, perhaps the iPhone is in exception.)

EDIT: Well according to hankchill, this is a North American thing.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
jaxxster said:
plus since losing sky one n stuff it kinda sucks (no offence...i love thier on demand service) AOL traffic shaped me, between 6-10:30pm i only got 60kb/s download. We used AOL for 8 years and they still fked us in the arse.

man that's slow, and i get shaped between 4pm-12pm if i download anything over 200mb yes a measly 200mb and i get my speed reduced to 1mb.

it effects everything i do even legal stuff like downloading from ps3, media streaming, ps3 online games, the lot.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
gbpic said:
jaxxster said:

Damn you Europeans and your cheap-as-dirt telecoms companies! Yeah, in the U.S. we're always getting screwed mobile phone and internet connection wise. (Well, perhaps the iPhone is in exception.)

EDIT: Well according to hankchill, this is a North American thing.

It's not all great over here , with the exception of o2/be , sky max and virgin , practically everyone else is shit and caps you. Oh noes you looked at too many webpages , then isp throttles you.

As for guy asking about be/02 , I'm on them (be), only get 7.5Mb (exchange be far away) , but no complaints , always fast , no shaping at all and no whining about downloads , just let you get on with it
biggrin.gif

moozxy

hamboning
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
D: I gotta get me on Sky!
I'm, well my mum's, paying £10 a month and I'm not sure on the speed but when downloading the max speed I get is 350kbs.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
jalaneme said:
hah, virgin media are the worse, i have 4mb and if i download over 4gb i get my speed reduced to 1mb, they are upgrading me from 4mb to 10mb but it will make no difference virgin media will still traffic shape and give ridiculous slow speeds.

Sucks to be you. Why don't you switch to sky then?

FragZero

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
About expensive broadbandconnections ..... i live in belgium, and we pay 59€ (90 usd) for 4mb/s down 512kb/s up .... 30GB Transfer limit
mad.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, JonTron's back yet again until he disappears into the void for another 6 or... +1