Hacking FINALLY!!! A Fix for The October 23d update!!!

radionds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Can somebody help me?
I did that fix for 3.3 october 23th version.
Than I see that I can't boot trucha signed games even with gecko free loader or geckoOS.
What I have to do to boot trucha signed games on this new version?
Thanks.

smoke297

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did a DOH. Already had HBC and went to do the latest update. But I made the mistake of not deleting all of the WII update files from my SD from the previous use. So I copied over the new WII backup and it just added more entries to the apps folder. To make a long story short, I used the wrong proggies or something. Nothing worked correctly. Then silly me thought I needed the official update in order to get it to work. OOPS!!! After researching, thought I was SOL until an official downgrader for the October 23 update came along. Then happend on to this posting.

Anyways, a BIG thanks to everyone who gave insightful information. And I am especially indebted to a_running_pir8 for the great step-by-step instructions and djtaz, for whom I would not have gotten far WITH_out the files needed to do the downgrade.

Got my WII downgraded and did the update with the safe 3.3U. And all the others. Now I can play Super Mario Galaxy without crapping out at the castle intro video.

bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif

james3571

Trophies
XP
Country
Bahrain
thanks for the tutorial but i have 2 questions...

1. will this work with homebrew channel beta 9 ??

2. do you need a modchip to do this ???

euge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so how do i get IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad and what exactly is it, why do i need it.
If I do any of this incorrectly is it possible that i can brick my Wii. If its possible can somebody
post up a video tutorial on youtube. Im a noob so please help me out.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
euge said:
Ok, so how do i get IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad and what exactly is it, why do i need it.
If I do any of this incorrectly is it possible that i can brick my Wii. If its possible can somebody
post up a video tutorial on youtube. Im a noob so please help me out.

there are no video tutorials - but there are guides available
You get IOS16 by checking signatures and working out how to get the file WITH_ the ios16 and not the one WITH_out it

No one doing this so far has bricked a wii , but its always possiblt when playing with wad files

Posts merged

james3571 said:
thanks for the tutorial but i have 2 questions...

1. will this work with homebrew channel beta 9 ??

2. do you need a modchip to do this ???
1. yes
2. no

Posts merged
james3571 said:

QUOTE(smoke297 @ Nov 8 2008, 07:45 AM)
Anyways, a BIG thanks to everyone who gave insightful information. And I am especially indebted to a_running_pir8 for the great step-by-step instructions and djtaz, for whom I would not have gotten far WITH_out the files needed to do the downgrade.

bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif

Your welcome

euge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
20clarky08 said:
first of you need a application called SEARCHHHHH!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
thanks just wondering i was going to use mplayer and dvd activator but not sure if i still need to use dvd activator

HeRinger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, the Wad Manager DID installed the IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad, but when I tried to install the cios_fix.wad I got the same error (2011).

Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: nevermind, I used Custom VM and it worked.

Diffusion

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
HeRinger said:
Ok, the Wad Manager DID installed the IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad, but when I tried to install the cios_fix.wad I got the same error (2011).

Use the modified WAD manager that loads and detects IOS16

HeRinger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Diffusion said:
HeRinger said:

Use the modified WAD manager that loads and detects IOS16

It worked. But I tried to install the DVDx and got the error (2011). Do I have to install another IOS and cios to install the Backup Launcher 0.1?

Funny because the downgrade went well, but I still can enter the Wii Shop Channel. Man, I just don't get it this stuff...

I'm reading a tutorial and I have to install another cios_fix.wad (not sure if it's the same, but it installed with the WAD Manager) and then install the DVDx using advanced install > IOS249... I did it and I got the 2011 error.

Do I have to install another IOS or something? I also can install the Backup Launcher wad itself, but the DVDx always get the 2011 error.

Edit: arrrrghhhh... I'm going crazy here. Ok, if I unistall the cios I can't install them again with the WAD Manager, I have to go back to the Custom VM. That doesn't make any sense, since technically I already downgraded to 3.2U. Man, I swear I will go crazy.
frown.gif
((

gcunit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK - for noobs who have updated, are aware of the hbc scene etc but don't have much working knowledge, this thread (and the majority of similar threads on other boards) sure is confusing, but it does appear to answer everything I think I need to know in order to downgrade and start experimenting with a backup loader (I don't know for sure cos I'm away from my Wii all this week so I've got an agonising wait to find out if I can really make sense of it).

If it does work then everlasting thanks to the aforementioned a_running_pir8, djtaz and noob_warrior. But also, from my point of view I'd really like to thank Luprano and multirotor. ANY NOOB WHO UPDATED RECENTLY AND HADN'T PREVIOUSLY MODDED THEIR WII IN ANY WAY - GO TO PAGE 23 OF THIS THREAD (POST 337). THIS IS MULTIROTOR'S RESPONSE TO LUPRANO'S SYSTEMATIC QUESTIONS WHICH WERE EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED TO KNOW.

Also, and just as important for all noobs who stumble upon this thread as I did - IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR THE FILE IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad THAT DJTAZ HAS REPEATEDLY REFERRED TO, YOU NEED TO REGISTER ON THIS FORUM BEFORE YOU CAN SEE HIS SIG!!!

All I can do now is wait and see if it works.

StArSeEd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After not having touched my Wii since last Christmas, it was running vanilla 3.1U. I read online about being able to get backups working, and that got me interested in my Wii again. This was around October 28th. I have done the following thus far:

Installed HBC 9 via twilight hack.
Installed and uninstalled a few WADs.
Discovered several WADs just plain don't work. Figured they're just broken/bad downloads. Tetris and Homebrew Browser don't work either, stating they're not valid Wii applications. WiiQuake is freaking awesome.
Installed DVDx. Scratched my head at why a DVD still does nothing when stuck inside the Wii. Later discovered I also needed mplayer.
Tried installing cIOS, only to discover it requires Internet connectivity. I don't have a wireless router.
Got wifi working again by setting up a USB stick on my (wired) downstairs PC as an access point, enabling Internet Connection Sharing on it.
Installed tona's IOS51+Shop Channel Update.
Visited the shop, installed Photo Channel 1.1 and Nintendo Channel. I think that's all. Uninstalled Everybody Votes Channel because... yeah.
Discovered WAD Manager can no longer install new WADs, including cIOS (error -2011).
Verified I'm still running 3.1U.
Advise a friend of what happened, he thinks part of the Oct 23rd update may have gotten installed with the Channels. His copies of my "broken" WADs work, and are found to be bit-identical. Must be firmware version then.
Found this forum thread and downloaded the files required to UNDO the Oct 23rd update.
Went ahead and performed a full Wii update to 3.3U since it should now be able to be rolled back.
Discovered the WADs that used to cause the Wii to instantly reboot now work. Firmware version requirement confirmed. Homebrew Browser now works; apparently that requires v3.2+. I had deleted Tetris, though it likely would work now too.
Loaded up HBC, launched WAD Manager 1.3, attempted to install IOS16. FAILED! Error -1 during CONTENT 01 step. Retried. FAILED! Instant error -1017. Rebooted, retried, -1, retried, -1017.
Tried WAD Manager IOS16 to see if it really didn't fail, cIOS_Fix installation failed instantly with error -2011.
Tried WAD Manager IOS16 to do the IOS16 WAD installation, failed exactly the same as with WAD Manager 1.3.
Redownloaded IOS16 from somewhere different, found it to be bit-identical to my first copy, so not corrupt.
Am I doing something wrong here? Help?

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
StArSeEd said:
After not having touched my Wii since last Christmas, it was running vanilla 3.1U. I read online about being able to get backups working, and that got me interested in my Wii again. This was around October 28th. I have done the following thus far:

Installed HBC 9 via twilight hack.
Installed and uninstalled a few WADs.
Discovered several WADs just plain don't work. Figured they're just broken/bad downloads. Tetris and Homebrew Browser don't work either, stating they're not valid Wii applications. WiiQuake is freaking awesome.
Installed DVDx. Scratched my head at why a DVD still does nothing when stuck inside the Wii. Later discovered I also needed mplayer.
Tried installing cIOS, only to discover it requires Internet connectivity. I don't have a wireless router.
Got wifi working again by setting up a USB stick on my (wired) downstairs PC as an access point, enabling Internet Connection Sharing on it.
Installed tona's IOS51+Shop Channel Update.
Visited the shop, installed Photo Channel 1.1 and Nintendo Channel. I think that's all. Uninstalled Everybody Votes Channel because... yeah.
Discovered WAD Manager can no longer install new WADs, including cIOS (error -2011).
Verified I'm still running 3.1U.
Advise a friend of what happened, he thinks part of the Oct 23rd update may have gotten installed with the Channels. His copies of my "broken" WADs work, and are found to be bit-identical. Must be firmware version then.
Found this forum thread and downloaded the files required to UNDO the Oct 23rd update.
Went ahead and performed a full Wii update to 3.3U since it should now be able to be rolled back.
Discovered the WADs that used to cause the Wii to instantly reboot now work. Firmware version requirement confirmed. Homebrew Browser now works; apparently that requires v3.2+. I had deleted Tetris, though it likely would work now too.
Loaded up HBC, launched WAD Manager 1.3, attempted to install IOS16. FAILED! Error -1 during CONTENT 01 step. Retried. FAILED! Instant error -1017. Rebooted, retried, -1, retried, -1017.
Tried WAD Manager IOS16 to see if it really didn't fail, cIOS_Fix installation failed instantly with error -2011.
Tried WAD Manager IOS16 to do the IOS16 WAD installation, failed exactly the same as with WAD Manager 1.3.
Redownloaded IOS16 from somewhere different, found it to be bit-identical to my first copy, so not corrupt.
Am I doing something wrong here? Help?

check theses three things:

1) No USB or GC stuff plugged into wii, if you are doing the wad install from USB, stop doing that.
2) format your SD Card, error: -1 usually means wii can't read the card properly
3) try using wad manager 1.21 for that first IOS16 install, works better for some people.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
gcunit said:
IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR THE FILE IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad THAT DJTAZ HAS REPEATEDLY REFERRED TO, YOU NEED TO REGISTER ON THIS FORUM BEFORE YOU CAN SEE HIS SIG!!!

All I can do now is wait and see if it works.

Let us know how it all goes

StArSeEd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
noobwarrior7 said:
check theses three things:

1) No USB or GC stuff plugged into wii, if you are doing the wad install from USB, stop doing that.
2) format your SD Card, error: -1 usually means wii can't read the card properly
3) try using wad manager 1.21 for that first IOS16 install, works better for some people.

1. No USB devices at all (though the SD is one of those weird SanDisk flip-down doojobbies with a USB connector inside), GameCube devices disconnected. I did run across this suggestion several times in my research.
2. That makes me feel a lot better, thank you, I'll try this.
3. Thanks for the tip! I'll give this one a shot too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast