Final Fantasy

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by nickbaker50, Dec 28, 2009.

Dec 28, 2009

Final Fantasy by nickbaker50 at 5:40 AM (4,515 Views / 0 Likes) 61 replies

1. nickbaker50
    OP

Member nickbaker50 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I see ff fans on every forum I go to. They are everywere. Am I alone in saying I don't like these games(or any rpg for that matter)?

2. Sergiyakun

Newcomer Sergiyakun Member

United States
    I'm a huge FF fan and I dont see anything wrong with hating the game. I hate sports games of any sort so its only fair lol. but no, you are not alone. Usually people hate it cause its turn based for the most part.

3. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Is there something wrong, not at all. Personally I hate them too, most of them at least since they went to Sony. Square shifted from a typical set of guidelines and standards for the game play, skills, jobs if present, magics, general design, character look and development. Short of FF9 PSX and FF3 on the DS I can't stand them really for very long if at all. I forced myself 90% into FF10 and stopped as it was just too much from the awful sphere system to the ongoing land of andgrogeny, boy band looking bs, bad acting, and just endless goofy crap coupled with a rigid shit eating boss battle design that has been converted into basically a glorified game of 'Simon' because if you don't follow the pattern, BZZZZ you're dead with some mega blow. I hate that, hell I'd even put up with much of the rest if they'd drop that shit as it outright ruined FF4 my favorite of the series on DS.

Former FF lover turned borderline hater as they just lost the creative capability to have open ended boss fights, good scripting and acting, and the ability to by picture alone tell if half the cast of male or not.

4. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Problem: I don't like Final Fantasy :sob:
    Result: Go to a Final Fantasy hating forum

There will be people who like stuff what you hate where ever you go.

5. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    The only one I could be bothered to finish after FF6 was FF9. Can't stand the formulaic feel of the other ones.

I always preferred Western RPG's as they seem to actually want to do something different. I don't think games like FF7/8 or the ones after FF9 were bad they were just "so what?" to me. Pretty sure the games I love have their haters too, maybe more so seeing that lot are made by Western developers.

I guess I prefer my Japanese games to be made by developers who are more left field like Platinum Studios.

6. outgum

Member outgum Pokemanz Master

New Zealand
    I love final fantasy 4,5,8,9
    Thats it though, i only liked 10 for blitzball XD
    FF8 Was definatly the best IMO, Just the storyline, and that epic hard last boss O_O
    i rememeber struggling with it years ago, not now XD, i kick ass XD

Squall ftw

Closely followed by FF9
    i dont get HOW people can hate it, but i dont critise them for it.

7. asdf

Member asdf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I don't hate Final Fantasy (well, that's not true. I hate VII, VIII, and anything past X), I hate the fans. If I even say I like Final Fantasy, I get thrown into the same group as people who think FFVII is the best game ever.

8. nickbaker50
    OP

Member nickbaker50 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Sob? I just asked if anone shared my opinions. And I don't want to go to another forum, if I go to a forum where everone has the same opinion, what is there to discuss?

9. wolffangalchemist

Member wolffangalchemist This is bat country!

United States
    I don't see a problem with disliking a game only fanboys are the ones who have a problem conceiving someone could possible not like something they do(E.G Twilight fans or Final Fantasy 7 fans)
    Now with that said, i like some Final Fantasy games but anything past 6 with the exception of 9 has been mediocre and just lacking in several areas.
    The only thing they care about now is making the games look flashy while putting no real effort into the games controls or story.
    The Crystal Bearers is the only thing i have seen released of late by square-enix that shows they have any hope in either area, and hopefully more will come of it.
    The first Final Fantasy was my favorite though, it might have lacked some things compared to newer titles but it is what started it all.

10. blackdragonbaham

Member blackdragonbaham GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    don't see a problem with not liking the series either, especially because i can't stand rpg's normally, but it would be mean to see them all as the same, since there are rpg's that raise from the normal stuff:. aren't a fan boy ut in my opinion the ff ames are well made, the only thing i can't understand or agree with is the hype behind the 7th part of the series, but it's seems to be a matter of taste:.

11. hughjass

Member hughjass GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I love how FF9 is everybody's exception. That game was Squaresoft's swan song IMO, everything since then has missed the mark in one way or another (Damn you, FFXII, with your epicness up until halfway through, after which you landed in the realm of total fail!!! grr)

For me the PSX days were the best. FF7, FF8 & FF9 were fantastic games (8 & 9 especially)

I'll be interested to see what FFXIII is like when it's released over here. These days Squeenix err on the side of style over substance with a lot of their games (and f**king Advent Children, don't even get me started on that f**king thing.)

12. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Meh, Final Fantasy can't really be "hated" since it did establish the RPG genre. That being said, just because it established it doesn't mean it's the best anymore.

I've never really been a fan. It seems like a recycled gameplay formula thrown through reskinned storylines. Sure, there's been some leaps here and there, but instead of adding some spice every game, they just ride a popular gameplay mechanic long after the milk is gone. Not to mention Square's reliance on their fanboy base that they can essentially do this time after time while still getting major bucks.

Having the whole crop of fanboys on every forum who will practically jizz themselves every time you say "Final Fantasy VII" doesn't help either.

Personally, there's a lot better Square RPG's out there other than Final Fantasy. Super Mario RPG, Chrono Cross, all of these seem to just be sides to the steak of Final Fantasy. Except the sides in this meal are a lot better than that overcooked, dry steak. Well, I haven't ever had a steak so I can't really judge the context of it.

13. Mei-o

Member Mei-o Generic Asian Kidâ„¢

Japan
    That's a lot of talk from a guy with Sora in his avatar.

14. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    /enter Kingdom Hearts is not Final Fantasy fangeeks here.

Kingdom Hearts would of never been here if it wasn't for FF.

15. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    Sigh... Opinions...
    This is the internet, there will be haters and fanboys wherever you go, deal with it.

16. Guild McCommunist

United States
    I'm pretty sure we could've lived with some more original characters. The FF characters in Kingdom Hearts weren't even important, they were just in there so fanboys could masturbate to Cloud.

Anyway, this is a FINAL FANTASY thread, not a KINGDOM HEARTS thread. Let's stay on topic.

17. Mei-o

Member Mei-o Generic Asian Kidâ„¢

Japan
    As if there's THAT much of a difference in terms of blatant fanboyism between the two. KH isn't much better than the crap people hail as FF VII anyway.

Go on, bite me.

18. Guild McCommunist

United States
    Kingdom Hearts isn't bad by any means. Despite it's rather fanboy following and tendencies, they've popped out a few good games, even if they do have lame storylines and mediocre characters. They're still good hack n' slashers.

Anyway, obvious trolling is obvious. I can't say if FFVII is crap but I have a feeling you're saying it just because you want to piss people off.

19. canx13

Newcomer canx13 Advanced Member

Belgium
    tshh im a fan of the final fatasy series .... but i never actually beaten any ff game...well i played them not till the end
    some reasons :
    - game got sold (by my sister urghh)
    - my cousin deleting the save while im almost completing it ( on the 2nd try i got to the same place and the game got sold : it was ff ring of fates)

now i have ff7(the original ps1) ... and dissidia

ok so ppl say ff7 is sooo overrated .... i am part of those ppl!!! :
    final fantasy 7 (ps1)
    final fantasy 7 (PC)
    final fantasy 7 (mobile)
    final fantasy 7 dirge of cerberus ( ps2 , thats the game that tells more about vincent)
    final fantasy 7 advent Children (movie)
    final fantasy 7 crisis core (psp , wich i am looking for right at the moment on ebay [​IMG])
    and romurs : final fantasy 7 ps3 version
    they just keep coming
    what i didnt say was :
    i AM a fan of final fantasy 7 but they just overdid it [​IMG] [​IMG]

sorry that it was 95% ff7 [​IMG] GBAtemp rocks [​IMG]

20. canx13

Newcomer canx13 Advanced Member

Belgium
    oohw yeah i like the kingdom hearts series aswel [​IMG]

and...i also think its better then ff VII sorry had to

LOL mei-o = mayonaise xD XDrofl

Could you pass me the mayo , mei-o