'Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade' PC Version Impressions

GBAtemp_FF7R_Intergrade GBAtemp Impressions.png

Earlier this month, Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade made its way to PCs as an Epic Games Store exclusive. After having spent some time with it, I will be sharing my impressions of the PC port here. However, it will not be a full review as we already have one of the PS4 version. I’d recommend checking it out for more in-depth details about the game since they are the same game; at least the base game is.

The main difference is that the PC version comes with the Intergrade bundle. The latter includes the base Final Fantasy VII Remake (FF7R) game and the FF7R INTERmission expansion. This features new story content with Yuffie as she teams up with Avalanche to steal Shinra’s most powerful materia.

cloud.jpg

battle.jpg cloud 2.jpg scene 2.jpg

While it’s a welcome addition, other features you’d expect out of a PC port are surprisingly missing. You won’t find options for motion blur, anti-aliasing, VSync and such that should be the bare minimum for AAA games like FF7R to include in a PC version. It almost feels like Square Enix half-heartedly did this port.

Hammering in this feeling are the multiple reports of performance issues on PC, even with high-end rigs. While some could have been addressed by tweaking the graphics settings, they are alas mostly absent in FF7R on PC.

pc settings.jpg

That said, I played the game on a handheld PC equipped with an AMD 4800U chip and did not encounter major stuttering. For the most part, it plays smoothly (for a handheld) with the graphical options set to low. In more crowded areas like Sector 7 Slums performance dips a bit, with around 25 fps but in less busy segments, the framerate bumps to 30. But most players might not want to limit themselves to 30fps on a handheld and I totally understand the frustration of not being able to play the game fluidly (as it should) on higher-end desktops.

But while playing FF7R on a handheld, I was mostly satisfied, especially considering it was a PS4 game. Having played the original FF7, I am positively impressed by what Square Enix delivered with a remake that feels more of an interpretation than an exact replica with enhanced visuals. Midgar feels more immersive and lively; while members of Avalanche are more fleshed out. Even if FF7R covers a fraction of the original plot and is set to be episodic, I had a blast strolling across the Slums and taking on side quests and re-encounter iconic characters and scenes from a fresh angle and a new lens.

scene 1.jpg scene 3.jpg scene 4.jpg scene 5.jpg

However, for the “next-gen” price of $70/£70 despite its reported performance issues, it’s hard to recommend immersing oneself in the FF7R’s Midgar on PC straight away. Moreover, given that it is an Epic Games Store exclusive that somehow requires an online connection to play might not be a welcome choice by all those who have been patiently waiting for this PC port. And unfortunately, they might need to wait a bit more to prevent further disappointment with its current state. You might want to jump in after new patches have gone live and with more PC-worthy settings are unlocked. But if you don’t mind taking the risk, Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade will deliver on an engaging and original take on a remake of a classic game.

:arrow: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) Official GBAtemp Review

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I made the mistake of buying it before finding out it was that bad. It wasn't until later after work I found out firsthand it was a shitty port. You know it's bad when fans have to fix what lazy SE won't.
GTA Trilogy The Definitive Edition and now this!? 2021 has been a real crappy year

Last edited by Cris1997XX,
Reactions: 64bitmodels

sley

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Classic Square Enix, I remember Nier and FFXV were also ports with major problems.
It sucks that so many publishers can't seem to put proper PC versions out.
I hate troubleshooting for stuff I paid for and thats why I still own a playstation despite rarely using it.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Guess Epic is too committed with their exclusives to back down. If this is like the other past exclusives deals they got, they would need to eat the extra costs using their Fortnite money. Reason is, from what we learned in their lawsuit with Apple, there wasn't enough people buying those exclusive games to make up for the exclusivity deal Epic has with the publishers/developers.

Ya... all 1.4% of Epic. What does Sony have anything to do with this?? This is a Square Enix game, and last I check Sony doesn't own them. And even though Sony have bought Square Enix stocks, this doesn't mean they own them. Not to mention, Sony has put some of their actual PlayStation exclusive games on Steam.

Also, Steam has a larger user base than EGS and Square Enix already have a lot of their games on Steam so why wouldn't they put this game in Steam after their (possibly 1 year) exclusivity deal ends?
Most games that Sony has on Steam were released before the acquisition, I believe. and I'm sure there are exclusivity deals on the franchise of VII dating back the 90's.

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the voice acting is kinda awkward and it runs horribly in open sections like in upper midgar, but it's an amazing game so far if you get it with a P2P discount

SonicRings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sony owns part of Epic. This shouldn't be a timed exclusive but a permanent one. Same for Kingdom Hearts, Uncharted or any Sony game released after their Epic share acquiremement. Even if any of these games ar timed for some reason, of course they'll prioritize their own platform.

And why wouldn't it work for long? If you want to play games they have exclusive distribution, you have to use their platform. They are getting tons of clients like this. It sucks for us but works for them.
Assuming people don't pirate it or not bother in the first place.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Square enix generally sucks when it comes to PC ports. been sucking Sony's cock so long that when they're asked to port to something else they have a fucking seizure

64bitmodels

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assume the easy Fortnite cash will run out eventually, because the game is bound to be overshadowed by a new and fresh product made by someone else. I'm also still pissed by the fact that Epic abandoned Unreal Tournament, one of the best FPSs, years ago
it's been going on for nearly 4 years now. Closest thing we got to killing it was among us, but that eventually died out this month. It's gonna stay whether we like it or not

64bitmodels

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Classic Square Enix, I remember Nier and FFXV were also ports with major problems.
It sucks that so many japanese publishers can't seem to put proper PC versions out.
I hate troubleshooting for stuff I paid for and thats why I still own a playstation despite rarely using it.
FIFY. Most western PC ports are pretty much superior to the console versions like usual. it's when you ask japan centric developers to make shit for PC that they start messing up since they much perfer consoles over there

soup1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Earlier this month, Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade made its way to PCs as an Epic Games Store exclusive. After having spent some time with it, I will be sharing my impressions of the PC port here. However, it will not be a full review as we already have one of the PS4 version. I’d recommend checking it out for more in-depth details about the game since they are the same game; at least the base game is.

The main difference is that the PC version comes with the Intergrade bundle. The latter includes the base Final Fantasy VII Remake (FF7R) game and the FF7R INTERmission expansion. This features new story content with Yuffie as she teams up with Avalanche to steal Shinra’s most powerful materia.

While it’s a welcome addition, other features you’d expect out of a PC port are surprisingly missing. You won’t find options for motion blur, anti-aliasing, VSync and such that should be the bare minimum for AAA games like FF7R to include in a PC version. It almost feels like Square Enix half-heartedly did this port.

Hammering in this feeling are the multiple reports of performance issues on PC, even with high-end rigs. While some could have been addressed by tweaking the graphics settings, they are alas mostly absent in FF7R on PC.

That said, I played the game on a handheld PC equipped with an AMD 4800U chip and did not encounter major stuttering. For the most part, it plays smoothly (for a handheld) with the graphical options set to low. In more crowded areas like Sector 7 Slums performance dips a bit, with around 25 fps but in less busy segments, the framerate bumps to 30. But most players might not want to limit themselves to 30fps on a handheld and I totally understand the frustration of not being able to play the game fluidly (as it should) on higher-end desktops.

But while playing FF7R on a handheld, I was mostly satisfied, especially considering it was a PS4 game. Having played the original FF7, I am positively impressed by what Square Enix delivered with a remake that feels more of an interpretation than an exact replica with enhanced visuals. Midgar feels more immersive and lively; while members of Avalanche are more fleshed out. Even if FF7R covers a fraction of the original plot and is set to be episodic, I had a blast strolling across the Slums and taking on side quests and re-encounter iconic characters and scenes from a fresh angle and a new lens.

However, for the “next-gen” price of $70/£70 despite its reported performance issues, it’s hard to recommend immersing oneself in the FF7R’s Midgar on PC straight away. Moreover, given that it is an Epic Games Store exclusive that somehow requires an online connection to play might not be a welcome choice by all those who have been patiently waiting for this PC port. And unfortunately, they might need to wait a bit more to prevent further disappointment with its current state. You might want to jump in after new patches have gone live and with more PC-worthy settings are unlocked. But if you don’t mind taking the risk, Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade will deliver on an engaging and original take on a remake of a classic game.

:arrow: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) Official GBAtemp Review

It's sad to see another PC port botched.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I didn't have any real issues with it. It runs very well for how good it looks, although in busy areas it drops down to 75-90 FPS at 1440p on my 2080 Super, that's still a very respectable framerate.
There's one bug I noticed, when I opened a chest at an angle and there were NPCs standing around, I got moved into a position stuck behind two NPCs, and had to reload my last save. Not a big deal, but could've been annoying if I hadn't saved in a while (autosave is frequent enough though)
Of course I didn't buy it cause I'm not supporting the EGS monopoly ;)

The hell house boss was bullshit. Must've taken nearly 2 hours to finally beat it due to how many turns I wasted healing HP and MP and only having a tiny window to actually attack the thing, which if I didn't have my HP and MP filled up at that point I would miss the window. Since it forced me to use magic constantly I used most of my MP recovery items (including all the best ones) and then had to start using Elixirs to keep up with the boss as regular Ethers were not really cutting it (one ether isn't even enough for one level 3 elemental magic and often times it would attack me in the middle of casting the spell taking about half my max HP, interrupting my spell and wasting my MP)
I could've loaded a save and redone it once I had a better understanding of how the boss worked to save a bunch of items, but I really didn't want to, it would've still taken ages.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs