BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am in kinda a weird position cause I played FFTA before I played the original. I never understood why people were so disappointed with advance till I played fft. Here are my thoughts.

Overall
The game was old school hard. The graphics where
A couple steps up from a and a2. It was somewhat confusing and had me rage quit much more than advance ever did.

Difficulty
This was rough at first. I was used to the soft easy learning curve (or lack of learning in advance) so dealing with some of the elements in fft took some getting used to. First was the death counter. Only having 3 turns to revive a character you worked hours to built was somewhat frustrating. Eventually I was able to get over this and gauge how long before crystalization. But there were missions i could have won if it hadn't been for the counter as I raced back across the map to revive my summoner only to be pelted with arrows from an
Archer that had I one more turn, could I have smacked into the stratosphere.

The "charge" time on magic spells also took some getting
Used to. Even being able to determine when the spell would hit was not enough cause you can target the ground or the enemy. If you chose the ground, the targeted character could just walk away. But if you chose the character, he
Could just as easily walk over to your guys and wait
For the lightening to strike your team too.

This game had me using all of my strategic mind, until chapter 4. There are alot
Of recruitables in chapter 4, including pissy ass cloud, Balthier (who was veryuseful) and orleandu. Orlandu has the ability to learn and use every spell blade move and his sword gives him perminant haste, and his stats are through
The roof. So all that work you did to get Ramza to master 3 classes and power level 5 other just to unlock dark
Knight, is all put in perspective. I could have spent my time better by teaching Ramza to
Piss into the wind. Basically all the challenge leaves the game after you beat chapter 3.
Actually, the hardest battle of the game is the 3rd battle of chapter 1, Dorter Slums. EVERYONE loses at Dorter at least once.

Graphics:
Pretty cool. All the portraits look hand drawn. What's interesting is that everyone in invalice suffers from s
Genetic disposition and is lacking a nose.

The battlefields are all 3d and can be rotated around
In forced isometric angles at two heights and distances.

Characters:
Most characters are human and can be male or female. Interestingly, because of certain equips, female characters turn out to be slightly better. All but two classes are available to everyone (save the female class dancer and male class bard). So you have to do some planning for certain character growth. In battle you aquire jp that you spend on abilities after the
Battle.

Monsters can be tamed into your party. While you walk around, they breed and create new monster you can use in battle or poach for items.

Closin Thoughts:
Now that I've slugged my way through fft, i now understand why people hated so hard on FFTA. It's not the fft that everyone was looking for. I'm very glad I played it, even though FFTA is still my favorite.

ShadowFyre

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I agree, FFT/FFTA were my favorites. A2 was terrible though; The lack of any plot and wifi capability destroyed it for me. I'm really hoping for a good 3DS version though.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
ShadowFyre said:
I agree, FFT/FFTA were my favorites. A2 was terrible though; The lack of any plot and wifi capability destroyed it for me. I'm really hoping for a good 3DS version though.

A2 is a fairly good game, really. It retains the game play, does actually have plot (did you just ignore it, or were you oblivious to it - they make it obvious), and works well. Why would you even need wifi capability? There isn't a lot in A2 that could really take advantage of it. Like the other FFT games, it is a solid, single player experience.

A2 is actually the only game I could enjoy for more than 10 minutes out of all of the FFT games, but tactical/strategy/whatever you want to call it RPG's aren't really for me. I'm more of an action RPG person, and the slow action of games such as FFT just makes it boring for me.

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
I played FFTA first too and LOVED it. Then I played FFT:WotL and I really didnt like it no matter how hard I tried to really get into it, and trust me I did try. Tactics Ogre is far better.

ShadowFyre

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:
ShadowFyre said:

A2 is a fairly good game, really. It retains the game play, does actually have plot (did you just ignore it, or were you oblivious to it - they make it obvious), and works well. Why would you even need wifi capability? There isn't a lot in A2 that could really take advantage of it. Like the other FFT games, it is a solid, single player experience.

A2 is actually the only game I could enjoy for more than 10 minutes out of all of the FFT games, but tactical/strategy/whatever you want to call it RPG's aren't really for me. I'm more of an action RPG person, and the slow action of games such as FFT just makes it boring for me.

imho, I really wasn't a fan of the storyline. In advance, I almost felt like a villain, crushing everyone's dreams. The A2 plot was yes, obvious, and I was slightly surprised that all the sidequests actually turned out to be linked to each other, but it really felt like it lacked depth to me. In regards to the wifi, I feel that it woulda added some more motivation to getting different items and really strengthening your clan, so you could fight other clans. The gameplay is fine though

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
ShadowFyre said:
Nathan Drake said:
ShadowFyre said:

imho, I really wasn't a fan of the storyline. In advance, I almost felt like a villain, crushing everyone's dreams. The A2 plot was yes, obvious, and I was slightly surprised that all the sidequests actually turned out to be linked to each other, but it really felt like it lacked depth to me. In regards to the wifi, I feel that it woulda added some more motivation to getting different items and really strengthening your clan, so you could fight other clans. The gameplay is fine though

The A2 plot was pretty simplistic for the most part, and wi-fi for trading characters and materials or something would have been neat. In the end, it was a solid game, just not the best it could be. Like I said, I did find it surprisingly interesting for the type of game, so I likely hold it in a higher regard than others.

SinHarvest24

Shiroyasha
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chad
NiGHtS said:
I played FFTA first too and LOVED it. Then I played FFT:WotL and I really didnt like it no matter how hard I tried to really get into it, and trust me I did try. Tactics Ogre is far better.
Pretty much this.

I tried FFT:WotL, a few months after finishing FFT-A2 and i couldn't really enjoy it because of it's notable inferiority to A2. I never played FFT:A, but i could imagine it not being as good as A2. FFT:A2 was truly a great game. Now with that being said, the best grid-based tactics game i've played thus far has to be Tactics Ogre: LUCT. Never enjoyed a tactics game as much as this one. The sheer variety and fluidity is just amazing. You should should try TO:LUCT, like right now, playing this right after coming out of FFT will be such a treat.

RisnDevil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FFT:WotL is hands down the best in the series. The silly addition of races and classes being tied to races was needless. If classes would have been open to all races (with select exceptions such as the Moogle Knight, that's fine) but each race offering different bonuses, that would be great. I actually did like the way you could learn skills through items in A2, and would love to incorporate that into a new game that retained much of the original.

Also, TO was a great game. The game itself was SIGNIFICANTLY bigger, but I believe the character (class) diversity was not as good as FFT:WotL. Make something that plays like WotL but is as epic and big in scope as TO and that is a win. If the team behind those two games is no longer together, find them, tie them together, and make them give us more.

And yeah, Orlandu does ruin the games difficulty, but I was already walking through enemies as Ramza anyways.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ha wow i didnt expect all these responses.

I am planning to write a blog on the dichotomy of the FFT and Advance/2 games.
I like FFT and Adv, but 2 was just abismal.

So im hearing that i should play TO next? I actually have that on my memory stick and i think that would be good. Ive played a little bit, but managing 12 units on a battlefield seems a bit overwhelming. I mean the last game i played with that many characters was Shining Force...

Oh and how is getting knocked out/Death handled in TO? Is it as annoying as starting from a level one Squire again?

PeregrinFig

A miserable little pile of secrets
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
BortzANATOR said:
Ha wow i didnt expect all these responses.

I am planning to write a blog on the dichotomy of the FFT and Advance/2 games.
I like FFT and Adv, but 2 was just abismal.

So im hearing that i should play TO next? I actually have that on my memory stick and i think that would be good. Ive played a little bit, but managing 12 units on a battlefield seems a bit overwhelming. I mean the last game i played with that many characters was Shining Force...

Oh and how is getting knocked out/Death handled in TO? Is it as annoying as starting from a level one Squire again?
I find that strange, in my opinion FFTA2 was vastly superior to the first Advance. The stories were terrible in both, but the gameplay (particularly in FFTA2) was top-notch. I sunk 70 hours into it and didn't beat every sidequest.

RisnDevil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BortzANATOR said:

You should absolutely play TO next. Firstly, I believe you only can take 10 people into battle (unless they upped this in the remake they just released). Now, forewarned is forearmed however: if you thought FFT was difficult with a high learning curve, TO makes it look like child's play.

Like I said before: the class and character depth is nowhere near as diverse, deep, or dynamic as FFT. Characters don't have skills that they learn or set: with the exception of magic, everything comes with the class when you change to it. Characters will learn NO MORE THAN four spells (which is for only the most-powerful spellcasters) and ONLY equip four items; healing items must be equipped (taking those few item slots) to be carried into battle. Death, is pretty close to permanent, immediately: no timer, no countdown, just dead (unless your character has a revive stone which is a one-use automatic-use revive or, if you are far enough in the game, you have someone with the revive spell to use it before the end of the battle).

To not make the game seem abysmal and like a many-hour long masochistic torture-fest. The game is MASSIVE. FFT has a secret 9 level dungeon: TO has a secret 99 level dungeon. There are more story characters and hidden items or characters and general content (to include three separate endings) than you can shake a stick at. The replay is insane. This is probably one of the largest non-NIS SRPGs I have ever seen. Just, well, good luck.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RisnDevil said:
BortzANATOR said:

You should absolutely play TO next. Firstly, I believe you only can take 10 people into battle (unless they upped this in the remake they just released). Now, forewarned is forearmed however: if you thought FFT was difficult with a high learning curve, TO makes it look like child's play.

Like I said before: the class and character depth is nowhere near as diverse, deep, or dynamic as FFT. Characters don't have skills that they learn or set: with the exception of magic, everything comes with the class when you change to it. Characters will learn NO MORE THAN four spells (which is for only the most-powerful spellcasters) and ONLY equip four items; healing items must be equipped (taking those few item slots) to be carried into battle. Death, is pretty close to permanent, immediately: no timer, no countdown, just dead (unless your character has a revive stone which is a one-use automatic-use revive or, if you are far enough in the game, you have someone with the revive spell to use it before the end of the battle).

To not make the game seem abysmal and like a many-hour long masochistic torture-fest. The game is MASSIVE. FFT has a secret 9 level dungeon: TO has a secret 99 level dungeon. There are more story characters and hidden items or characters and general content (to include three separate endings) than you can shake a stick at. The replay is insane. This is probably one of the largest non-NIS SRPGs I have ever seen. Just, well, good luck.
Why are we comparing te two? TO is nothing like FFTA.

RisnDevil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Besides being commonly compared, there is the fact that the team that made FFT (NOT FFTA) FIRST made TO (I think part of why they are often compared). I also wasn't so much trying to compare them as warn the guy what to expect (more, say, highlighting differences) with emphasis on the difficulty since that was one of his first, and biggest, impressions going from FFTA to FFT.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Original Tactics is incredible.
Tactics Advance was great, but obviously different from Tactics. I loved taking the protagonist's best friends back into the real world where everybody suffered.
Tactics Advance 2 was a nightmare. At least for me it was. I fell asleep a few times playing it.

Tactics Ogre: LUCT is my favorite at the moment. Archers and Ninjas are retardedly overpowered though. Archers being able to shoot farther than their intended range, and having the ability to attack twice (A skill you can gain later), while already being few of the strongest classes around? Who thought that was a good idea? Ninjas, fast, able to move really far, attacks twice with the skill, etc.

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
Tactics Ogre:LUCT is IMMENSE. Absolutely incredibly. Ok so it has its strange flaws like ojsinnerz just mentioned but I kinda like that cos it's realistically weird, in theory it works in favour of the game.

Tactics Orge: LUCT >> FFT:WotL

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why has Ogre Battle not been mentioned once
unsure.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat