Final Fantasy 5 name editing

Discussion in 'GBA - Game Development, ROM Hacks and Translations' started by 123flop, Jan 6, 2011.

Jan 6, 2011

Final Fantasy 5 name editing by 123flop at 6:27 AM (3,138 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. 123flop
    OP

Newcomer 123flop Newbie

Canada
    Okay, so, I love final fantasy 5, play it on my super nintendo all the time. And then I downloaded a GBA rom of it, so I could play it on an emulator on PSP. When I started playing, I wanted to change my main characters name, you only get one shot at it. The name change screen came up, it said "Bartz" I accidently clicked the "A" button, and it changed it to "BartzA". Then I tried to delete it, but it saved my name as "Bartza". So now I'm playing the game which a really weird name. Can anyone help me figure out how to change it using a rom editor or a hex editor? Thanks

2. Vigilante

Member Vigilante TempLurker

Philippines
    There are easier way to do this just just delete that save and start a new one,and base on what you said you just started the game so its okay

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Simply restarting the game would be easiest but assuming you played on for a while and do not want to lose progress

I am not aware of any save editors but if it is a custom name it will probably be stashed in the memory proper at some point- load up the save in an emulator like VBA and try to find it in the memory viewer (it might not be in ASCII). Try and do it shortly after it loads the save as that will leave the least to look through.

Change it in memory and it should then get overwritten when the game next saves- for the simple hack I would try and keep it at the same length otherwise you might have to deal with pointers, by all means fiddle with it but keep it in mind. This way you dodge issues with the save hashing.

4. Kaleid

Newcomer Kaleid Advanced Member

United States
    I have created an editor for Final Fantasy V Advance that includes name editing. I can upload it to the site later, if it is still needed.

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    @Kaleid even if the OP has managed to resolve his problem (no idea if so) save editors and the like are always welcome- upload away.

6. Kaleid

United States
    Ok, I shall. I have made a bunch of editors just for fun but never thought they would be useful to anyone else. Silly thinking, I guess. Thanks for your reply.

7. Kaleid

United States
  8. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Damn, it just uses static text for their instances?

9. Kaleid

United States
    The names start at 0x0200E124 in the VBA Memory Viewer. Each name is six bytes long. My States are old, but they show Bartz, Lenna, Galuf and Faris.
    The names start at 0x05C0 in the battery save. Only one name is shown: Bartz.

Editing the names of Lenna, Galuf or Faris in the State have no visible effect in the game, either in the menu screen or in combat. The names in the State never revert back if changed, though. It's quite odd, as if they meant for them to be editable in-game then decided later to not. Just more unused bytes to add to the log, I guess. [​IMG]

Also, I have noticed that names are (usually) only stored in the state or battery save if they are editable in-game. Otherwise, there would be no reason to store them at all, right?

10. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Yeah, odd.

I know with the japanese version of 4 the ability to name your characters was a secret (namingway wasn't all over the place like in the US version), seems a change of plans like this was common back then.