Fighting games on the 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Miyako, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Miyako
    OP

Miyako Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 1, 2012
    United States
    Despite the lack of fighting games on the DS’ library, I still used my DS Lite heavily for fighting games. It wouldn’t have been possible if it weren’t for:
    1. NeoDS (of course)
    2. DS Lite’s D-pad (not as great as the SNES D-pad, but feels close to how the SNES pad feels)
    When I first heard the 3DS will have a circle pad, and with 2 fighting games (DOA and SF) as launch games, and with the upcoming Tekken game, I thought the 3DS finally filled the void of fighting games that was present in the DS.

I just got my 3DS… and I’m disappointed at how the 3DS handles fighting games – specifically how the circle pad and clicky D-pad are not suitable for fighting games.
    I’ve tried SF, DOA and NeoDS (KOF 98 & 2k2, Last Blade 2, Samurai Showdown IV). Here are some of my concerns:
    Circle pad:
    1. Dashes (tapping forward/backward twic) are slow, awkward and strenuous to the thumb
    2. Despite being analog, dragon punches/ circle motions/ dash jumps are not very responsive.
    Clicky D-pad buttons
    1. Dashes are easy but dragon punches/ circle motions/ dash jumps are hard and awkward to pull off because of the clicky feel the D-pad has.
    I haven’t tried blazblu on the 3DS yet, but knowing how similar it is to Guilty Gear, I imagine playing it on the 3DS would not be a good experience. I can play DOA just fine using the D-pad, but that’s because moves in DOA do not rely much on circle motions.

Dashing and circle motions are a staple move in any fighting game, and its disappointing how poor both the circle pad and the D-pad performs for these games.

2. ZombiePosessor

ZombiePosessor GBAtemp Fan

May 1, 2008
    United States
    West Virginia
    I hear ya man, I just got SSFIV3D and my Guile game is non-existent on it...

3. ieatpixels

ieatpixels GBAtemp Fan

Nov 1, 2008
    I don't like portable fighting games at all. I think they're much suited to the arcade-ish environment of home consoles.

You could mod the d-pad to be more suited to fighters if you really wanted too.

1 person likes this.
  4. mjax

mjax GBAtemp Fan

Apr 8, 2010
    Exactly what I was thinking to say. Probably remove the clicky feel if it helps make things better.

Edit: Quoted twice by mistake.

5. Miyako
    OP

Miyako Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 1, 2012
    United States
    When I play competitively, I use Hori sticks... so yeah, I agree that fighting games are best played on home consoles.

But, personally, I still enjoy playing fighting games on a handheld. It's a game you can just easily start and quit anytime without worrying about the progress you made in the game. Years with my DS Lite has proven me this -- practicing infinite combos/ making fun of the AI, trying striker combos (KOF 2k & 2k2) while waiting for short breaks was a fun way to mindlessly waste my time.

Yeah, I'm thinking of modding my 3DS D-pads. But I've only had my 3DS for less than month, so I'll have to wait for a year for its warranty before I tinker with it.

I'm just disappointed with the circle pads. Great for 3d roaming games, but never expected it to handle fighting games this bad. I presumed it would be good because the 3DS already has 4 fighting games in just a year.

6. McHaggis

McHaggis Fackin' Troller

Oct 24, 2008
    I'm ashamed to say that I struggle with both pads for pulling off moves on SFIV, so much so that I mostly rely on the soft buttons on the touch screen for the more difficult moves. Don't have a problem on the PS3 version, though.

7. basher11

basher11 GBAtemp's Official Vocaloid Lover

Jun 29, 2009
    United States
    i have no problems with DOA.
    but i guess it's just me.

8. Miyako
    OP

Miyako Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 1, 2012
    United States
    DOA is playable on the 3DS. I imagine the upcoming tekken and Smash Bros. games will play just fine on the 3DS. The clicky D-pads can handle these fighting games, but that's because these fighting games do not rely on dragon punches/ circular motions.

it's a different story when you play DOA/ Tekken/ SSB using the circle pad. Quick forward dashes/ back-steps are moves you just can't pull off easily when using the circle pad.

again, the problem I see is...

- dragon punches/ circular motions are slightly easier on the circle pad, but you lose the ability to do dashes/ back-steps.
    - dashes/ back-steps are easier on the D-pad, but the circular motions are awkward to pull of because of the clicky buttons.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice