Gaming FFCC: RoF

ackers

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Now that everyone has gotten over the "Thanks" screens I thought I'd start a new thread for you to discuss the actual game.

I completed it yesterday after about 19hrs play and I loved it! It was very addictive. Great story, memorable characters, good script writing. The best FF on DS so far in my eyes.

Even though it lasted me 19hrs I found it to be too short. Still, I completed Halo 3 in quicker time! I hope there's a sequel, I was kinda gutted when I finished it - I wanted it to carry on. The ending wasn't all that brilliant but I will admit I drew a slight tear.
rolleyes.gif

So, what do you think of the game?

Inspektor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do we really need another topic? I found the game to be pretty mediocre. I played it for 6 hours and then deleted it. The controls were particularly annoying (I really hate when the developers include the touch screen controls just for the heck of it). Plus, the whole game felt way too kiddy for me. 5/10.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kiddy...meh.

The game actually aside from the tying of some R button functions to the panel which was quirky came out very well. I finished it with no problems much at all except at the very last bit as the last boss 2nd form is stupid cheap with the 1 hit deaths and blindness. This is a huge boost over FF3 in how they've upgraded the audio/visual end of their fantastic engine and gives a taste of what improvements we've barely had shared to us are found within DQ9 and FF4 Remake. I was stunned completely by the amount of spoken dialogue in the game, but also on the grounds it is crystal clear just like the musical scoring. Visually the textures have improved a bit too like the old jump from FF7 to 9 on PSX in the days. The story is quite emotional for sure at parts and for those who can jerk a tear fairly easily will get one from some sad stuff this game spills out in those spoken parts (which are plenty.) The game is not incredibly long but it is worth the effort, though I do question the $40 tag (I got it $30 and know MEIJER currently sells it at $30 too), but that's normal LONG standing corporate greed of Square (like how FF2 SNES was like $70 in the day vs $50 for everyone else.

It's a worthy title and fixes up all the stupid crap they did wrong on the original FFCC. I'd say it has sold me on now not dismissing the Wii title and WiiWare spinoff too.

ackers

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Inspektor said:
do we really need another topic? I found the game to be pretty mediocre. I played it for 6 hours and then deleted it. The controls were particularly annoying (I really hate when the developers include the touch screen controls just for the heck of it). Plus, the whole game felt way too kiddy for me. 5/10.
I felt this way as well with the opening scene when Yuri and Chelinka started talking. It felt retarded but as I progressed the characters grew on me (literally).

fateastray

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ackers said:
Inspektor said:
I felt this way as well with the opening scene when Yuri and Chelinka started talking. It felt retarded but as I progressed the characters grew on me (literally).

Holy crap, characters literally grew on you? So you have miniature or fullsized Yuri and Chelinka stuck to your back? Take a picture!

Ontopic, I haven't played too much of the game (4 hours), since i'm only a casual gamer, however, I'm enjoying it so far. If you think the game is kiddy, you're just not the targetaudience, because the presentation should've given that away.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have really enjoyed what I've played so far (6-7 hours on story mode). I think the controls are pretty good, the battling itself is quite engaging, and the story so far has been excellent.

I've also thoroughly enjoy Al and his "Pirates of Penzance" inspired banter.

I think I'll end up playing through this one a couple times.
yaynds.gif

FinalFantasyFanG

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love this game... It's like the only FF on DS that I ever completed because like the other 2 were so bad...
wacko.gif
But like I wish we can like control the girl twin... Chelinka and the redhead girl... The knight guy and the midget girl aren't that interesting at all..

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jim the first place does suck,it's meant to, as it is a trainer so you can get used to it. Get another couple areas into it and things will get a bit more nasty and it really escalates in challenge late into the game. They use that anime bigeye/head thing going in this but the game is not kiddie or for kids.

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I very much like this game, we get a proper "hit shit in realtime and not boring fucking turn-based-combat" game and it's not a zelda for once!
There are quite a few flaws inherent to many jrpgs in this game, sure; level grindan, item grindan, materials grindan, the useless magic system, the usual "save the world" story...
But at its heart, it's a pretty hack'n'slash. Shame there's no online play, dungeon explorer did it and so could have FFCC.

fateastray : it's a pun, keep playing the game and you'll understand.

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game lacks depth, though. Your characters don't really get any new abilities, aside from minor bonuses from their armor... the 8 spells you start with and the ones you can combine them into are all you'll ever see in the entire game. Beyond that it's just slash, slash, slash your way through everything with the occasional obvious puzzle.

It isn't bad, but I'm sort of glad it was so short. It wouldn't have lasted much longer anyway.

Syao4

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
I find this game pretty good.
But it was better without that awkard party system,what's the point?!
There's 0.1 AI,they can't even follow you correctly.
I like the wide collection of equipment,and that each one has it's own world model.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
MicShadow said:
IMO, the multiplayer is where this game is fun. Have none of you had the chance to test that mode out?
I've been solo-ing multiplayer with a Selkie, and having a blast. I just wish I had other people to play with. This would have been the best wi-fi co-op.
frown.gif

kitetsu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I didn't think it was that bad... But to tell you the truth, it really turns me off that i only get the same set of 3-hit combos and just one lousy aerial strike. The weapon exclusivity is also bit of a pain in the ass as well -- Just because Yuri's only good with a sword doesn't mean he can't be a shit shot with the bow and arrow.

With that said, I'm gonna wait for Kingdom Hearts on the DS and hope it makes up for ROF's deficits.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol